No Gun Apartment Lease?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 12

Re: No Gun Apartment Lease?

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

And Bronco..... if you're not showing your gun around..... worrying about the word may.... won't be a problem for you. ;-) Why on earth would any right thinking human, "display, discharge, or possess, a gun, knife, or other weapon in a way that may threaten other people". Not to mention that only a fool would let folks see them bringing firearms in and out of their homes. Why risk making yourself a target for home burglary? Again... the absurdity of some of the directions these threads takes rears it's ugly head one more time. Now you want to make hay out of the word may as we take it completely out of context!
Last edited by 03Lightningrocks on Sun May 09, 2010 3:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

ScottDLS wrote:These threads just seem to veer off into the theoretical and philosophical ruminations about private property rights and civil and criminal law. We (at least I...) enjoy wasting our time on this stuff. I mean look, your question was valid and probably had a consensus answer about 5 or 6 posts in, but then the Monday morning legal quarterbacks (like me) decided to make it last another 4 pages. I don't think anyone believes you were wasting their time by posting it.

The lease terms you posted don't appear to prohibit concealed carry or keeping firearms in your apartment. The lady at the front desk is a moron and what she says contradicts the lease. I wouldn't worry about it.

Could not have said it better myself! :iagree:

Topic author
Scire.Factor
Location: Currently stationed in Texas - going to be stationed in Georgia in mid 2011!

Post by Scire.Factor »

03Lightningrocks wrote:My point was.... and I said it very clearly. His post could have been answered in one simple response. There is No issue with that lease.There is No wording or even a hint of no guns allowed. Instead.... we get all kinds of what ifs, conjectures..... and even a couple guys proclaiming that the apartment complex is somehow anti-gun. It is laughable at times. To the OP.... I see no reason for you to get your feelings hurt. Your question was legit. Just realize.... there is NO need to seek special permission to own a firearm. This is America. When we ask folks if they care if we bring our guns along.... we are acting suspicious. Like I said before.... nobody would ask if it was OK to bring a stereo, or your special Ginsu Knives. Guns are just as legal as a stereo in AMERICA. Actually.... more legal than a stereo. They are protected by our constitution.Well.... the real America, anyway. Life may be different in Kali or New York. Personally...... I can't wait until we give them another go for their money...J/K...LOL.

It seems to me that we should all try not to act like we are special simply because we own a gun... or toothbrush...... or pots and pans. When i read posts from guys asking special permission to own a weapon, it actually frightens me for the direction we are headed with our RKABA. It also gives insight to how you feel about owning your firearm. if you were not feeling somewhat guilty about it, or even uncomfortable, you would not feel the need to ask if it was OK to own it or bring it into your new domicile. It is as pure as the right to free speech. Anyone here feel compelled to ask an apartment manager if there is a list of what can and cannot be said in the apartment complex? I didn't think so. I wonder if you read the part about not making a noise nuisance of yourself if you would think that means you can't talk in the place?

Any of you get what I am saying yet?????

Ok, I understand what you are getting at and it is a very good point.
"The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 3

Post by E.Marquez »

03Lightningrocks wrote:And Bronco..... if you're not showing your gun around..... worrying about the word may.... won't be a problem for you. ;-) Why on earth would any right thinking human, "display, discharge, or possess, a gun, knife, or other weapon in a way that may threaten other people". Not to mention that only a fool would let folks see them bringing firearms in and out of their homes. Why risk making yourself a target for home burglary? Again... the absurdity of some of the directions these threads takes rears it's ugly head one more time. Now you want to make hay out of the word may as we take it completely out of context!
Thanks for your opinion and input :thumbs2:

I agree overall with your assessment that some threads are exploded with opinions and conjecture,,, But I'm sure you realize that is the nature of INTERNET forums, where all involved are allowed to respond to a post with there opinions... Thats the way this INTERNET thing works :smilelol5:

And personally I'm not concerned at all with the word MAY "rlol" in the context to which I referenced it (per the lease) Others MAY be, that was my point... just because you, me and 99 of our best friends don't get upset, concerned, or threatened by a person possessing a weapon. There are those that are.... That lease,,, it covers that threatened person, not the gun owner.

As all have surmised, this lease thing is a allot about nothing... :hurry: don't ask, don't tell, be a responsible gun owner and all will be well.

03Lightningrocks I have now added to your frustration of responding in a verbose manner when a simple one sentence reply would have sufficed :smilelol5:

I'll give you the reply you seek. (and as it's mothers day and all...)

YES DEAR, I agree, Ok if thats what you want :cheers2: (Short enough for you.. :biggrinjester: )

All have a great weekend...... I'm going shooting with my son's Mother.
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

tacticool
Posts in topic: 1

Post by tacticool »

bronco78 wrote:And personally I'm not concerned at all with the word MAY "rlol" in the context to which I referenced it (per the lease) Others MAY be, that was my point... just because you, me and 99 of our best friends don't get upset, concerned, or threatened by a person possessing a weapon. There are those that are.... That lease,,, it covers that threatened person, not the gun owner.
Concealed is concealed.

It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Don't advertise your valuables to thieves, or to their family or friends.
When in doubt
Vote them out!

Topic author
Scire.Factor
Location: Currently stationed in Texas - going to be stationed in Georgia in mid 2011!

Post by Scire.Factor »

Ok, I know that the lease issue is no longer a problem - but I went and talked to a lawyer anyway since the service is provided at no cost. I explained the whole situation word for word and provided a copy of the lease. The lawyer is in the process of researching to find out if the apartment complex can even legally ban firearms in a residence in their lease. I am sure some of you may already know the answer to the question, but it is always nice to have another professional opinion. Regarding the specific lease itself that I posted about in the original post - I was told that the majority of you all were correct in the translation that I can possess a firearm as long as I am not weilding it to cause havoc. I will hopefully have an update on Monday with the progress of the lawyers research.

Thank you all again for the advice and input earlier!
"The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing"

atxgun

Post by atxgun »

I don't know that I have much new to add but FWIW I've lived in several apartments w/o issue; standard TAA lease each time. Although I try to avoid it, the times I have passed others going to and from the car with a rifle case or shotgun in hand they're either oblivious and caught up in their own conversations or it's the obligatory "how's it going" nod as if I was bringing back my laundry.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Seems to me the big picture here is that Apartment complexes and leasing companies (management) would like to absolve themselves of any liability for what it does...And all they do is lease out living space...

They know they can't keep guns totally out of their properties, so they put wording in their lease agreements, which on the surface, and to those uninitiated to the issue, will comply with their "wishes", and thats it, they are only "wishes"...

If they were really gun-control complexes they would have to post a lot of their common areas, probably even have to post the 30.06 inside the entrances to each unit...Not to be removed or covered up by the tenants...

Since we have never seen that extreme, I do not see where the original poster is in jeopardy at all... :thumbs2:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”