Question on open carry for U.S. Military in Texas...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Question on open carry for U.S. Military in Texas...

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Is it remotely possible that this guy was a SWAT officer, or some such, and that therefore he was in BDUs of some sort and was openly carrying his firearm perfectly legally? Could your wife have possibly confused "Spec-Ops" with "SWAT?"
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

G26ster
Posts in topic: 7

Post by G26ster »

Boy, I must be really old. After spending 14 years active duty in the U.S. Army, always in combat arms, when the heck did Special Forces begin operations "within" the United States. Under what authority are they operating?? I don't believe that any military personnel, other than Military Police, would be armed off a military reservation, or armed on the reservation other than for training purposes only. Someone please bring me up to date. :shock:

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Dragonfighter »

I detached to 5th group and we never carried in garrison, much less off post. If we were deployed somewhere, then yeah a side arm or rifle would be with us at all times. I somehow don't think a school would be considered warm, much less hot.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

stroo

Post by stroo »

My son in law is Marine Special Operations. He doesn't wear a uniform except when he has to. While he has a Tx CHL, he generally doesn't take a gun along when he flies back here. So as many other posters have noted, this sounds really suspicious.

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

Mando'a wrote:Being a Military-Brat, she did not call the police. We do not want to get him into any legal trouble, but wish to inform him. That way he won't get into legal trouble.
She told him her opinion. Now she can either drop it or call the police to report a man with a gun (and wearing camoflage?) in a school and let them sort it out.

Sasnakra

Post by Sasnakra »

After reading the various comments - I would certainly agree it sounds suspicious.
TAM's question of possible SWAT sounds the most likely - if he was legit.
I would report - if OK then no problem; If no OK then could be a BIG problem.
:txflag:
02/20/10 - TX CHL Received
NRA & TSRA

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VoiceofReason »

blue wrote:Why take a chance???
Remember Killeen Tx.
Report anything like that IMMEDIATELY when it happens.

----It should be reported even now.---

IF he is ligit -it will be sorted out.
IF he is not ligit- it will be sorted out.

---------------

(secret squirrel at a school?????)

Way too many red flags. PERIOD.
:iagree: What he said.
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

G26ster wrote:Boy, I must be really old. After spending 14 years active duty in the U.S. Army, always in combat arms, when the heck did Special Forces begin operations "within" the United States. Under what authority are they operating?? I don't believe that any military personnel, other than Military Police, would be armed off a military reservation, or armed on the reservation other than for training purposes only. Someone please bring me up to date. :shock:
..lol.. you’re not that far gone.

I'm active duty now and have been for the preceding 24 years, all as a grunt. It's the same now as it was as you remember it.

Whoever the player was / is, was misunderstood or is not right. He is not operating under any military authority by the way the encounter was described.
IMHO, if he shows again, call a local LEO, let them sort it out.. Right guy mistaken, Right guy doing the wrong thing or wrong guy doing the wrong thing... This is one of the few times I would request the assistance of LEO..
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Topic author
Mando'a

Post by Mando'a »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Is it remotely possible that this guy was a SWAT officer, or some such, and that therefore he was in BDUs of some sort and was openly carrying his firearm perfectly legally? Could your wife have possibly confused "Spec-Ops" with "SWAT?"
I would say not likely about confusing SWAT with Military. We are both Military-brats, and SHOULD be able to differentiate between the two.

But it's been so long now, that we wouldn't be able to tell the finer nuances, of the ACU. See, when out parents were in the Army, the ACU, was a BDU.

Thanks
took chl renewal course 11/7/09
sent in paperwork 11/12/09
received new chl 12/09/09

NRA member
Glock 22
Bushmaster Texas Carbine (XM15-E2S)

Topic author
Mando'a

Post by Mando'a »

Thank you all, for the many posts.

I'll have my wife warn him (or her superiors), the next time he shows up armed.

Again, we are both Military-brats, and hold a special place in our hearts for our Troops. We know what they go through first hand. So we are loath, to get a soldier into any trouble.

But if it is against the law for him to OC (especially into a school), we would have no issue giving him a warning, and then call the Police, should he ignore the warning, and show up again armed.
At that point he has been "Schooled." Please forgive the pun, I couldn't resist.

As always, many thanks for the great information and suggestions.
:patriot:
took chl renewal course 11/7/09
sent in paperwork 11/12/09
received new chl 12/09/09

NRA member
Glock 22
Bushmaster Texas Carbine (XM15-E2S)

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

bronco78 wrote:
G26ster wrote:Boy, I must be really old. After spending 14 years active duty in the U.S. Army, always in combat arms, when the heck did Special Forces begin operations "within" the United States. Under what authority are they operating?? I don't believe that any military personnel, other than Military Police, would be armed off a military reservation, or armed on the reservation other than for training purposes only. Someone please bring me up to date. :shock:
..lol.. you’re not that far gone.

I'm active duty now and have been for the preceding 24 years, all as a grunt. It's the same now as it was as you remember it.
Thanks for validating my memory.
stroo wrote:My son in law is Marine Special Operations. He doesn't wear a uniform except when he has to.
When did Special Operations troops become "undercover police" by not wearing uniforms? Seems "civies" while on duty takes you out of the military role. Doesn't the Geneva Convention prohibit that? I have to assume that when he is out of uniform, he is off duty.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

CID, counter insurgency et al are all "special operations" that do not wear uniforms as a matter of course.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

G26ster

Post by G26ster »

Dragonfighter wrote:CID, counter insurgency et al are all "special operations" that do not wear uniforms as a matter of course.
Yes, but CID investigates "within" the military, as police. I'm not familiar with counter insurgency forces within the US. Can you elaborate as to their role?

SwimFan85

Post by SwimFan85 »

Mando'a wrote:Again, we are both Military-brats, and hold a special place in our hearts for our Troops. We know what they go through first hand. So we are loath, to get a soldier into any trouble.
That's great if your wife is convinced he's a real soldier who doesn't know the law. However, if he's a poseur like the guy at the Houston mayor's party, you're not doing real soldiers any favors.

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... olen+valor
Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!
The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MoJo »

The Annoyed Man wrote:Is it remotely possible that this guy was a SWAT officer, or some such, and that therefore he was in BDUs of some sort and was openly carrying his firearm perfectly legally? Could your wife have possibly confused "Spec-Ops" with "SWAT?"

SWAT cops only dress up in their cammies when they are SWATing. They usually wear either regular police uniforms or BDUs when they aren't deployed as a team. I'm thinking this guy was in whatever they call the new "fatigues." OK, OK, OK - - - I'm showing my age - - - the Army had just upgraded to the "trapdoor Springfield" when I got out. "rlol" :lol:: "rlol" :smilelol5: :thumbs2: :smilelol5:
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”