No concealed guns allowed.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Embalmo
Posts in topic: 5

Re: No concealed guns allowed.

Post by Embalmo »

Oldgringo wrote:1. You have a valid CHL.

2. The 30.06 sign is either legal or it's not.

3. Concealed is concealed.

The decision is yours whether to enter the premises or not. There is no need for further debate and, IMHO, you certainly do not need to advise the proprietor of your opinion of his sign nor ask what does he/it mean.

If you have any question in your mind as to whether you can legally carry in this particular situation...the answer is NO.
Yea I agree, but there are a whole lot of folks around here that think they should make it their personal crusade to inform every business, hospital and church of their illegal signs. Personally I keep my gun business to myself. Believe it or not, Embalmo isn't even my real name.

Embalmo
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

ScottDLS wrote:As others have said, you did not break the law. However, just to play Devil's Advocate... :reddevil
garzona582 wrote: Could I have been arrested if my weapon was spotted (accidently of course)?
Thanks
Sure you could be arrested...it's just that the prosecution would be very unlikely to succeed. See Handog..."cuffed and stuffed" :shock:

http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... ed+stuffed
Superman is the only one that has X Ray vision and he lives in Metropolis, which is a long way from Texas. A legal sign is the only legal sign. I can't imagine how, but if you are made in a place with an illegal sign, you simply tell that person you have a permit, you missed the sign, and calmly exit the building. I bet no one would notice if I dropped my gun and calmly re-holstered it in a busy mall.

Embalmo

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sjfcontrol »

Just to be clear, there is no such thing as an "illegal" sign. There are just signs that are legally enforceable, and those that are not. The sign itself is not "illegal".
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Embalmo wrote:Believe it or not, Embalmo isn't even my real name.

Embalmo
I feel lied to... :cryin

:mrgreen:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
garzona582
Posts in topic: 3

Post by garzona582 »

Thanks for all of your comments. I was more that positive that the sign was not enforceable I just wanted to double check. unfortunately I'm still obligated to visit that store for a couple more months since I still owe them for some furniture (Which I bought before I had a CHL). I just won't go to that particular location since its the only one that I have seen with that sign.
2/16/10 CHL class
2/17/10 Sent packet
2/19/10 Delivery confirmed
3/04/10 PIN received
3/26/10 Application complete
3/31/10 Plastic

Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

garzona582 wrote:Thanks for all of your comments. I was more that positive that the sign was not enforceable I just wanted to double check. unfortunately I'm still obligated to visit that store for a couple more months since I still owe them for some furniture (Which I bought before I had a CHL). I just won't go to that particular location since its the only one that I have seen with that sign.
There's no reason to stop going to that store. Gunbuster and other non-legal signs are to make everyone feel good and 100% do not affect CHLs. The only people that should be offended and should stop shopping there are those who want to illegally carry.

Embalmo

Ol Zeke

Post by Ol Zeke »

[quote="Embalmo]........... I bet no one would notice if I dropped my gun and calmly re-holstered it in a busy mall.

Embalmo[/quote]

I would. :tiphat:

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

For the life of me I just cannot figure out the mentality of a clown who thinks posting a no guns allowed sign is somehow going to keep them safe from bad guys. Legal sign or not...what the heck kind of special level of stupid really believes the bad guy is going to stop and leave?

Meanwhile...on topic.. Concealed means concealed. Metal detectors are the only way to know If I am "packing heat" :mrgreen: .

Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

03Lightningrocks wrote:For the life of me I just cannot figure out the mentality of a clown who thinks posting a no guns allowed sign is somehow going to keep them safe from bad guys. Legal sign or not...what the heck kind of special level of stupid really believes the bad guy is going to stop and leave?

Meanwhile...on topic.. Concealed means concealed. Metal detectors are the only way to know If I am "packing heat" :mrgreen: .
There are whole countries that believe that way-Ask the UK. :headscratch

rm9792
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rm9792 »

Question to the OP...Why at all would you be unsure on this? I see this same question posted on this board and have to wonder why you are not aware of what is and is not required. The class should make it very clear along with the rule book you should have been given. Was this covered in the class? Have they quit mentioning this important info? I am not picking on you or trying to harass anyone but am truly confused. My class and the handbook went over in detail the requirements to bar a CHL holder from entrance and it is not exactly a gray area. The only confusion that I have seen keep coming up is whether or not govt entities own a given piece of land or not and what constitutes a school.

Having said all this I do feel it is better you and others ask than be confused but instructors should not be leaving anyone unsure. We have several instructors on this board and they will give excellent advice so definitely get any unanswered issues addressed.

Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

rm9792 wrote:Question to the OP...Why at all would you be unsure on this? I see this same question posted on this board and have to wonder why you are not aware of what is and is not required. The class should make it very clear along with the rule book you should have been given. Was this covered in the class? Have they quit mentioning this important info? I am not picking on you or trying to harass anyone but am truly confused. My class and the handbook went over in detail the requirements to bar a CHL holder from entrance and it is not exactly a gray area. The only confusion that I have seen keep coming up is whether or not govt entities own a given piece of land or not and what constitutes a school.

Having said all this I do feel it is better you and others ask than be confused but instructors should not be leaving anyone unsure. We have several instructors on this board and they will give excellent advice so definitely get any unanswered issues addressed.
I've been criticized for recognizing the law is black and white on this topic by more than one person. You can't get around it, the law is quite unambiguous. Why would they go out of their way to specify how the sign is to be printed if it didn't matter?? I agree with you-Lesson 1 for the CHL is determining where you can legally carry. It's kinda' like the parking spots for mothers with small children?? There is no law that indicates that mothers with small children can only park there. I go out of my way to park in those places just to point out the absurdity!

Embalmo

rm9792
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rm9792 »

I understand there are some gray areas but they are not common issues and 30.06 and its meanings should be very clear in class. If the instructors are not making sure their students understand then it is going to put us all in a bad light when the new chl'ers make a big mistake. I put this mostly on the instructor's shoulders since the students are there to learn and cant ask about something they dont know they need to ask about (if that makes sense). However, on the flip side the new chl'er should take themselves up to the task of reading every line of that handbook to make sure nothing was missed. The OP did the right thing in asking but shouldnt have needed to in the first place. It is lucky there is a board like this to educate the noobs and keep us all out of trouble.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Embalmo wrote:
rm9792 wrote:Question to the OP...Why at all would you be unsure on this? I see this same question posted on this board and have to wonder why you are not aware of what is and is not required. The class should make it very clear along with the rule book you should have been given. Was this covered in the class? Have they quit mentioning this important info? I am not picking on you or trying to harass anyone but am truly confused. My class and the handbook went over in detail the requirements to bar a CHL holder from entrance and it is not exactly a gray area. The only confusion that I have seen keep coming up is whether or not govt entities own a given piece of land or not and what constitutes a school.

I've been criticized for recognizing the law is black and white on this topic by more than one person. You can't get around it, the law is quite unambiguous. Why would they go out of their way to specify how the sign is to be printed if it didn't matter?? I agree with you-Lesson 1 for the CHL is determining where you can legally carry. It's kinda' like the parking spots for mothers with small children?? There is no law that indicates that mothers with small children can only park there. I go out of my way to park in those places just to point out the absurdity!

Embalmo
(Good analogy Embalmo :thumbs2: :clapping: )
I say: Shame on them for size discrimination, favoring mothers with small children over mothers with larger children. I"m sure larger children were harder to give birth to anyway..... Is "small children" even politically correct thse days? Sign should read for mothers with "vertically challenged" children maybe. My ex-wife said size shouldn't matter ... I've also always wondered if the kids at nursery school count even if they aren't with the mother at the time ... I've also seen signs along those lines for pregnant mothers... I'm not sure if that included sterile mothers with "pregnant thoughts" though... What about single FATHERS of small children, I believe the signs are unconstitutionally discriminatory anyway.

I'm wondering where to get a permit to hang from the mirror for Pregnancy or "small children", maybe I'll call the Department of Transportation and ask. Wondering if that's a lifetime pass for mothers of "little people".... Follow the yellow brick road ..... Also wondering if that's a lifetime pass if you gave birth to a small child (PREEMIE) in the 1950s, but haven't had any more kids since then, like if "Mothers of Small Children" (MOSC) is a club you join like "Mothers Against Dumb Driving" (MADD) Perhaps parking priviledges are included in their fees/annual dues.
How small IS Small anyway? I haven't seen a sign saying "You must be this tall to ride this ride" like at amusement parks. It's ambiguous and vague and fails to give me "effective notice."

To the OP, I'm not sure but it sounds like they want no concealed handguns and prefer everyone bring a shotgun or rifle, OR to "OPEN CARRY" (Maybe they don't know OPEN CARRY is illegal and want you to open carry there, but the sign is too confusing and vague for me to believe is it written permission to open carry by the owner of the property, so I wouldn't) so I'd follow the law and ignore their suggestion. I'm not sure .. I hate vague ambiguous signage ...They fail to give "effective notice", so I ignore their suggestions and follow the law.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

RPB wrote:
Embalmo wrote:

Embalmo
(Good analogy Embalmo :thumbs2: :clapping: )
I say: Shame on them for size discrimination, favoring mothers with small children over mothers with larger children. I"m sure larger children were harder to give birth to anyway..... Is "small children" even politically correct thse days? Sign should read for mothers with "vertically challenged" children maybe. My ex-wife said size shouldn't matter ... I've also always wondered if the kids at nursery school count even if they aren't with the mother at the time ... I've also seen signs along those lines for pregnant mothers... I'm not sure if that included sterile mothers with "pregnant thoughts" though... What about single FATHERS of small children, I believe the signs are unconstitutionally discriminatory anyway.

I'm wondering where to get a permit to hang from the mirror for Pregnancy or "small children", maybe I'll call the Department of Transportation and ask. Wondering if that's a lifetime pass for mothers of "little people".... Follow the yellow brick road ..... Also wondering if that's a lifetime pass if you gave birth to a small child (PREEMIE) in the 1950s, but haven't had any more kids since then, like if "Mothers of Small Children" (MOSC) is a club you join like "Mothers Against Dumb Driving" (MADD) Perhaps parking priviledges are included in their fees/annual dues.
How small IS Small anyway? I haven't seen a sign saying "You must be this tall to ride this ride" like at amusement parks. It's ambiguous and vague and fails to give me "effective notice."

To the OP, I'm not sure but it sounds like they want no concealed handguns and prefer everyone bring a shotgun or rifle, OR to "OPEN CARRY" (Maybe they don't know OPEN CARRY is illegal and want you to open carry there, but the sign is too confusing and vague for me to believe is it written permission to open carry by the owner of the property, so I wouldn't) so I'd follow the law and ignore their suggestion. I'm not sure .. I hate vague ambiguous signage ...They fail to give "effective notice", so I ignore their suggestions and follow the law.
I think you need some more highlighting. I am just not quite getting your intent. :evil2:
:reddevil :reddevil :reddevil

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

How wrong am I in thinking that the only people making this issue a huge gray area are the police and some DA's? After all, aren't many of them saying that if a sign is close enough they can judge the intent and will arrest and prosecute anyway? They may lose, but the threat of arrest is still there.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”