Kroger Walk

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
SecedeTX
Posts in topic: 8

Kroger Walk

Post by SecedeTX »

I just got back from my first time to conceal in public. I had to go shopping tonight...ran out of q-tips don't ya know.

I was dressed in jeans, undershirt, untucked golf shirt, with a Fobus paddle holster carried at 2pm. I was carrying a Kahr MK9 Elite (smallest 9mm Kahr currently made by Kahr.)

The drive over was easier than I thought. I just slid the holster to my hip. Did not interfere with the seatbelt at all. I walked into Kroger fully expecting to be nervous at any time. It never happened. My head is always on a swivel anywhere I go regardless if I had a firearm or not. I don't think I got one serious look.

I even ran into neighbors. We chatted for 5 min in the toothpaste section. If carrying is this easy and this uneventfull I will probably get used to it in no time.

I will say one thing tho. If I had a beer belly, It would be easier to conceal. I may need to start growing one of those :)
"Do or Do Not, there is no try" -- Yoda

mikeintexas
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Kroger Walk

Post by mikeintexas »

I hate it when you run out of Q-tips!! "rlol"

Congrats on the plastic!

PJK

Post by PJK »

Congrats on the plastic!

I will trade you my Keg for your Six Pack any day!!!!

"Why are there mass shootings in gun free zones? The same reason there are non at gun ranges"

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

Congratulations. :txflag:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

OldCannon

Post by OldCannon »

SecedeTX wrote:I will say one thing tho. If I had a beer belly, It would be easier to conceal. I may need to start growing one of those :)
You can have mine. I don't want it anymore.

;-)
I don't fear guns; I fear voters and politicians that fear guns.

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

Congrats!

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

Maybe it was because I practiced carrying around the house so much before going out in public, but I was not that nervous my first time carrying. Went to Carl's BBQ for my first carry experience, a place I had been 100 times before, so that probably helped.
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

phrogg

Post by phrogg »

SpringerFan wrote:Maybe it was because I practiced carrying around the house so much before going out in public, but I was not that nervous my first time carrying. Went to Carl's BBQ for my first carry experience, a place I had been 100 times before, so that probably helped.
I went to Mission Burrito ;-) . I carried in the house and car for the month while waiting on my plastic. So much so that it was annoying to stop and disarm every time I went in somewhere. Its become normal to have that weight on my hip. Just like your arm feels like its floating away after having worn a heavy watch on it for years and then not wearing it one day. Actually this morning I walked into the office armed and didn't realize it. Had to make a little trip out to the vehicle :oops:
----
Welcome to Texas. If you ain't packin, you are slackin!

Topic author
SecedeTX

Post by SecedeTX »

I carried around the house for almost two weeks. My wife, 9 year old, and 6 year old didn't have a clue. I figurred if I could conceal with people who see me every day, I could pull it off in public.

I do find myself scanning OTHER people to see if THEY are carrying tho. Is this also a side effect?

USA1
Posts in topic: 9

Post by USA1 »

SecedeTX wrote:
I do find myself scanning OTHER people to see if THEY are carrying tho. Is this also a side effect?
Yep, me too.
I know they must be out there but I still haven't spotted one yet.

Might have to resort to frisking. :shock:
Last edited by USA1 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

HuttoAg96

Post by HuttoAg96 »

SecedeTX wrote:I carried around the house for almost two weeks. My wife, 9 year old, and 6 year old didn't have a clue. I figurred if I could conceal with people who see me every day, I could pull it off in public.

I have definitely been doing this. A folder knife clipped onto their pocket and/or an out-of-season overshirt or jacket are usually good indicators. I've looked for the double clips for a tucked IWB but haven't "caught" anyone yet.
Class taken 3/18/10
Application filed 3/19/10
PIN received 4/2/10
Application Completed - license issued or certificate active - 4/18/10
PLASTIC - 4/21/10

Ruger SR9c
Kholster (in the mail)

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by RPB »

HuttoAg96 wrote:
SecedeTX wrote:I carried around the house for almost two weeks. My wife, 9 year old, and 6 year old didn't have a clue. I figurred if I could conceal with people who see me every day, I could pull it off in public.

I have definitely been doing this. A folder knife clipped onto their pocket and/or an out-of-season overshirt or jacket are usually good indicators. I've looked for the double clips for a tucked IWB but haven't "caught" anyone yet.
Heh heh, mine are the Comp-tac velcro clips and go under my Comp-tac belt with Velcro on my IWB holsters from http://www.concealedtechnology.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and from http://www.comp-tac.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :mrgreen:
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
SecedeTX

Post by SecedeTX »

I am glad I am not the only one. I did the math from the Texas DPS, and CHL'rs are a bit less than 1% of the general society. So, we are looking for 1 in 100, and that one is hidden to their best ability.

This could be a sport in and of itself!!

BLG

Post by BLG »

I have actually "caught 2 in the DFW area. One weighed 120lbs,wearing light hospital scrubs. and carrying a fullsized 1911 mob. I could almost make out the lettering on the slide. The other was working the drive-up window at chicken joint. He noticed my snortin' bull ball cap about the same time I Noticed his com-pact belt.

We both winked and when I sat down to eat, I found an extra drumstick in my bucket.

This can be a fun game!

Travis
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Travis »

I did the kroger crawl today, had to get dog food and use the coinstar machine. Found out that the 5 o'clock position is not so good for me. I could feel the shirt rising when I picked up the bag of dog food off the bottom shelf. So I set it back down went to the bathroom switched to the 3 or 330 position. Picked the bag up threw it on my shoulder, now I know all my practice at the house with the 5 o'clock position was down the tube. Also the 330 position is more cofortable in the truck. Learned a lot today in a short amount of time with what works for me. Not as nervous as I thought I would be. I kept thinking people bring drugs through airport security, why can't I carry a gun I have a license for. Very uneventful but I'm just fine carrying. I wore a t-shirt shorts and flip flops. I know if I can carry in a tshirt I can carry in anything
Life is hard, but it's harder when the Rottweiler has a can of pepper spray.

Return to “New to CHL?”