Driving and carrying

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
fire128
Posts in topic: 3

Driving and carrying

Post by fire128 »

I received my CHL back about the first of March 06, and purchased a High Noon holster IWB for my CZ75 compact for carry purposes. Over the next month or so I got accustomed to carrying it whenever possible, as my work does not allow me to carry. It was not long and I was carrying everywhere except work and found that my choice of holster seemed to fit my needs without a problem.

In May we had to make an emergency trip to Michigan and I did not have the time to research the laws of each state that we would be driving thru on such a short notice. Reluctantly I left my weapon at home and the trip was made.

While in MI. we had an encounter that reaffirmed my desire to get my CHL in the first place. My wife and I were returning to our hotel room at about 10pm, the parking lot was lit but not well lit. As I parked the vehicle I noticed a single male standing just outside the entrance to the hotel smoking a cigarette. Before my wife could open her door I told her to wait, I wanted to see what this person was doing or would do. We had waited about a minute when another patron of the hotel parked and then exited their vehicle and headed for the entrance. About the time they got near the door this person in the shadows moved forward and stepped in front of them blocking their access. As they tried to pass around them he again moved to block their access. At this time I triggered my vehicle alarm which caused this person to rethink whatever he was thinking and he quickly vamoosed. While all this was happening the wife had dialed 911 and informed them of what was taking place.

Shortly thereafter a patrol car arrived and we gave him all the details we could. We had no further problems as we left to head back to Texas the following morning.

Fast forward to three weeks ago, again an emergency trip was required to be made to Michigan. This time I was a little more prepared and had done my research beforehand. I knew which states and where I could carry and would be taking my weapon with me. It seems as if the wife had the same thought as she asked me as we locked up the house and headed out “do you have your gun?� Simple yes was answered and nothing further was said.

Leaving from central Texas to Flint MI. is about a 21hr drive. The entire time I had my weapon on my person in an IWB. I never had any discomfort while on the drive, and the first day was a 12hr drive. Nearing the end of our second day on the road, we were about 40 miles inside the MI state line when the wife needed to stop for a break to stretch her legs.

We pulled into a rest area and parked away from the restroom area near a picnic area. We both got out of the truck and started walking around until the wife needed to use the restroom. As she headed off, I dropped the tailgate and had a seat. Not more than 30 seconds had passed when a MI state trooper pulled into the rest area and pulled into a spot adjacent to mine. He exited his vehicle and walked around it when he made mention of my being from Texas. I answered that yes we were, but that I and my wife were both originally from MI. He then started with a little chit chat and then questioned why we were in MI. I explained there had been a death in the family recently and we were here to address some legal matters.

The trooper then asked if he could look in my vehicle. I was somewhat shocked by the request and replied “is this an official request?� He replied he could make it one. I then advised him I would produce my ID for him at which point he would be more than welcome to search my vehicle. I then preceded to hand him my DL and my CHL. When it registered to him what he was looking at he hesitated for a second, at which point I advised him I was armed and it was IWB right side. His first comment was “I doubt you’re the one were interested in�. He then informed me they were targeting smugglers and with my plates being from Texas he just thought he would check. I advised him he could check all he wanted to.

It was about this time my wife returned from the restroom and made her introduction. When the trooper introduced himself my wife stated she had known another state trooper with the same name some 30 yrs prior. Low and behold this trooper was the son and we all sat there and laughed until we had to get back on the road.

After it was about over the trooper looked at me and said that the whole time we were talking he never could confirm if I had a weapon on me or not. I advised him it is there and pulled my shirt tight so it would print. He just shook his head and said damn!
We concluded our business and again returned to Texas without incident, but I will always carry whenever possible, even if I have to go somewhat out of my way to do it.

jbirds1210
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jbirds1210 »

I always suspected those Northern folks didn't like us :grin: I stopped in Detroit once for about one hour and decided that in the future I would do without whatever I needed from there. I will not return to the state, no matter what the circumstance. I think I would have had a hard time making friends when I was told that my state of origin had been used as probable cause to stop....but hey, I am touchy like that. :shock:

A twelve dollar purchase of Fox labs pepper spray will take away a bit of the tension when emergencies come up and the proper research can't be done. A snoot of this stuff and trouble will be the last thing on somone's mind. Beats the heck out of nothing and gives you a bit of a distance vs. a knife.

Best place I have found to purchase it....
http://www.comp-tac.com
Order it today and likely have it in hand by Tuesday.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Good decision to carry 24-7 when legal.
Excellent EXCELLENT on handeling the 1st incident. Awareness & prepardness to act w/ a plan of PROPER response will stop most incidents before a gun must be drawn. You did not get physically or confrontationally involved in the incident.
You did not state in you post but it would seem that you & your wife had decided on this action before it happened. Knowing your resorces & planning a response is perfect personal defense.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Jbird, thanks for the heads up on the Fox from Comp_Tac. I did not know they had it. will use them when I need more. I like their holder too.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jbirds1210

Post by jbirds1210 »

LT-
The holster for Fox Labs 2 ounce canister is excellent. Kimberly often uses it IWB when we walk in the evening and when she leaves class and walks to the car. I carrry this stuff with me at all times when I am not able to have much gun and any time I feel there is a good chance for a dog attack. Hard to beat the customer service of Comp-Tac, they are second to none.
Jason
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member

"No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child."

Topic author
fire128

Post by fire128 »

Jbird...I did not relate all that the trooper had talked about, however I did question him on if he would of pulled us over just because of our license plates? (we had not passed him or even saw him prior to his arrival in the rest area) His reply was that unless he had seen us commit an offense we would not of been pulled over. He did state that when he pulled in and saw the plates he figured he would ask. He stated on more than one occasion he had been granted the permission and found contraband and made an arrest! Most criminals are stupid as he put it.
I understand his postion...I am a career firefighter, my wife's ex was former LEO, her eldest son is an LEO in Sugar Land, he has a job to do, and I let him do it.Never did he ask to disarm me, or even to see my weapon. I felt it went quite smoothly.
As for Detroit, I would not be caught dead in that town...even if I was carrying!

Topic author
fire128

Post by fire128 »

Longtooth....the wife and I have no preset plan(s) In fact she was somewhat opposed to my CHL at first. We have been togetherfor 25 yrs and seem to know what each other is always thinking (really stinks when I want another gun, outta the blue she will state..we cant afford another gun right now) She has gotten used to my little quirks about awareness and has even gotten good at it herself. In fact the first time we went to dinner after I got my CHL was a chinese buffet which occupies the former Luby's in Killeen, as we were walking thru the parking lot she moved to my left side. I looked at her funny, her reply, get use to it...I dont want to block you gun hand...I just busted a gut laughing!

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by KBCraig »

fire128 wrote:In fact the first time we went to dinner after I got my CHL was a chinese buffet which occupies the former Luby's in Killeen,
Wow!

Talk about the most fitting place possible for your first public concealed carry!

CHL rookies within 50 miles of Killeen are hereby granted a reprieve from doing the Wally Walk.

Kevin

Replaced Texan

Post by Replaced Texan »

Speaking of Luby's, I was at Luby's in Houston this morning for the breakfast buffet. I really don't care to be anywhere in Houston unarmed. I had my little friend with me and my shirt was tucked in, too. :grin:
Replaced Texan

Carry Permits: TX, FL, WA.

In the Land of the Free Because of the Brave

ForbidInjustice

Post by ForbidInjustice »

I'm a CHL rookie myself. I've been in Killeen for about 16 years, and was in first grade when the Luby's shooting took place. I've been in that building ONE time since 1991, and that was when Luby's had reopened. I just can't bring myself to go in there again. I guess others feel the same way, because no restaurant since then has been successful in that building.
- Dre
- Fort Hood, Texas
- http://www.dhs.gov

Where two discourse, if the one's anger rise, the man who lets the contest fall is wise.

Return to “New to CHL?”