Thoughts on Carrying after 3 weeks.. Man I need Bigger Pants

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bigolbigun
Posts in topic: 1

Thoughts on Carrying after 3 weeks.. Man I need Bigger Pants

Post by bigolbigun »

Well after carrying for a few weeks I have come to realize that I need to wear bigger pants to do it comfortably. Even my "fat" pants at the back if the closet are not big enough. A few questions for all you expierenced CHL'ers. I carry an XD9 Sub IWB.

1. How many sizes bigger do you go?
2. How do you try them on in the dressing room while carrying?
3. Do you try them on then holster up?
4. Is it best to guess and try them on at home?
5. What style or brand of pants works best?

Thanks for all the help from everyone on the board who has responded to all my newbie questions. I am light years ahead of where I would be knowledge wise about carrying because of all of you.

Johnny
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Johnny »

I went up one size (2").

I wore my gun into the dressing room and then tried on the new pants. It is intended as a private place and there were no 30.06 signs, so I wasn't worried about taking my weapon out.

I tried them on with the holster the first time.

I like "fatboy" pants the best. Wrangler fatboys, to be specific. Fatboy jeans are measured from the hip, not the waist (think about how you're measured for a tux), and they have a nice high rise so the slide of my pistol is hidden up higher.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

Can't help with this one. I carry OWB or pocket only. I refuse to get a larger size pants. Not vane, just big around the middle ( or as my wife says, my chest fell down).
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

One size larger plus "relaxed" fit works for me!
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

Cosmo 9
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Cosmo 9 »

One thing to watch out for if you are particular about where your gun rides is the position of the belt loops. I have found that with Levi brand the loops are in the wrong place for where I carry.
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

DaveT

Post by DaveT »

Ok, call me dumb, but when some of ya talk about 'fatboy' pants, are ya just talking about 'relaxed' fit ?

John

Post by John »

I'm in my large(r) :shock: mode right now (read I'm too fat), so i've taken to using a jak slide. With a jak slide, the gun rides in inside the belt, but not the pants.

See http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterG3.asp?Pr ... 3&GunID=11 for an example. It works well with just about any gun I own, but you have to have a shirt to cover. Really holds the gun close to the body (just as an IWB) and secure. This is probably not a good option for a full size gun, but any 4" or shorter barrel is fine.
JohnC

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Cosmo 9 wrote:One thing to watch out for if you are particular about where your gun rides is the position of the belt loops. I have found that with Levi brand the loops are in the wrong place for where I carry.
That's not the only thing wrong with Levis, they are also a very anti-gun corporation.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

stash

Post by stash »

Another thing to think about. I refused to buy new pants. I have a closet full of slacks, Levi's, etc, some still new with tags still on them. Up to March 27 of this year I could not wear any of them, let alone carry IWB. I mean I had gained so much weight when my Mother passed I had to go to Dollar General (I live in a rural area) and buy a new pair for her funeral. Anyway since March I have lost 31 lbs. and know can carrying IWB, The pants are a little loose but I tell you thats better then to tight. I did not carry much as a fat boy but when I did it was in a fanny pack in loose shorts.

Stash

cyphur

Post by cyphur »

I'm with stash. I am on the "eat less, exercise more" plan to let me carry IWB.

I'm around 220lbs, 6 ft tall. I'd like to be around 190-200. I'll get there eventually, until then, thankfully I buy my clothes loose enough in most cases it will still accomodate IWB carry with a 3" 1911 in a Tucker Answer - even if its not the most comfortable.

Un/fortunately, all my expensive pants are for work, where I cannot carry anyhow, so its not a huge worry for me. I'll pick up a Beretta .32cal Tomcat for when I will be wearing those pants and carry.

Also, buy pants with the elastic waistbands - the kind hidden in the waist. They expand for you, and I've found that you can buy them in your regular size and they will accomodate IWB carry - as long as the ones you get allow for a 2" stretch. One size up with a 1" stretch does the trick too.

Kalrog

Post by Kalrog »

cyphur wrote:I'm with stash. I am on the "eat less, exercise more" plan to let me carry IWB.
Yeah, I did that. Went from 6'3" and 280(ish) down to 205. Then I didn't change pants sizes, I just got the relaxed fit versions and it was enough. Probably has something to do with where I wear the jeans.

Oh, and wranglers are the way to go. Much less expensive and they aren't Levi's.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

In order of questions.
1. One size larger should work well but # 2 will confirm.
2. Dressing room. Wear your daily carry rig including mag carriers, cell phone, pepper, knife, everything you wear. Go in there like you will be on the street. Try the new ones on & rig up. It does take a little time. Go out & walk. See how they feel.
3. dont guess. Dont Guess. DONT GUESS. Try them on.
Belt loops are important, Important, IMPORTANT. That is why you need to rig up like you will be on the street daily.
4. Levi is very anti gun if that is important to you. It is to me & many others. Good reminder. Thank you. Wranglers work good for me. Corhart are good too but more expensive.
Wranglers also have a denim w/ a stretch wasteband. For dress they have an excellent dress slack in their Timber Creek. I wear these to church w/ a coat & they look good. (even on me :lol: ) These have an elastic stretch on both sides. They stretch plenty good for IWB.
5. Weight loss will help. Several, SEVERAL of us have done this & it really helps.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

Cosmo 9 wrote:One thing to watch out for if you are particular about where your gun rides is the position of the belt loops. I have found that with Levi brand the loops are in the wrong place for where I carry.
Good point! I have noticed this with some jeans that I wear. I usually carry pretty close to 3 o'clock and some pants have a belt look right where my holster's clip goes.

To answer the original poster's questions. I am always carrying, so I just try the pants on with my carry gun in the dressing room. Nobody is going to see you if you are careful.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

This is why I like the pleated pants as well as the ones with the elastic in the waist :grin: Cosmo that Springfield is going to be to large for you, so I can pick it up anytime!

graysoncountyffl
Posts in topic: 3

Post by graysoncountyffl »

funny you asked this- I was just about to search for the same info

here is my take:
I have been wearing wrangler jeans (just the regular kind) and I was able to just get 1" larger in the waist. (wranglers come in even and odd sizes, plus I carry a 1911)

But, it really aint working for me. I am lookin for something more confortable and roomy. I didnt know about the 'fatboy' wranglers.
I saw Gander Mt had some carhart pants, they might work out.
$10 xfers
$5 for CHL

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”