What did you NOT like about your Concealed Carry class?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

SW40VE
Posts in topic: 1

Post by SW40VE »

I took mine at Bullethole in San Antonio. The instruction was great. There were too many breaks and they were a little disorganized. I think we spent as much time taking breaks as we did in class. For the price, I cannot complain too much though. $70 and they walked us through our paperwork. Definitely could have been consolidated into about 4-5 hours if the law allowed. And the short guy with the attitude problem is the only reason I don't go back to practice there.
Springfield Armory XD 9mm Service
Taurus Millennium Pro PT145
ROHM RG-26
Yugo SKS (DIY USA Transplant)
56 days to receive my CHL

lrb111
Posts in topic: 4

Re: League City

Post by lrb111 »

Diode wrote:
llwatson wrote:
ranberndt wrote:
He had a singing daschund..if that matters.
I think we need to know more about that. Are you talking about a real live singing weenie dog? :lol:
Yeah, I am feeling ripped here, I didnt get a singing Winnie dog, unless you count our instructor! :shock:
THAT is Funny!! :lol:
Ø resist

Take away the second first, and the first is gone in a second.

NRA Life Member, TSRA, chl instructor

Crossfire
Posts in topic: 10

Post by Crossfire »

Well, there you have it.
If I'm gonna compete with the big dogs, then I'm gonna have to teach my weiner to sing. :smilelol5:
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

Cosmo 9

Post by Cosmo 9 »

You have a weiner :shock:

Sorry I tried to just let it go. :oops:
These Pretzels are making me thirsty!

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Cosmo 9 wrote: You have a weiner :shock:
Heck, yeah! Don't you?

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KBCraig »

Laugh all you want, but any dog that is tough enough to go into a badger hole and bring out the badger, is a tough little hound.

We had a couple of black & tan slick miniatures when I was a kid (one at a time, not at the same time).

We moved when I was 10, and there was a big brush pile in the back yard. Dachshunds have great noses, so ours immediately knew there was a rabbit nesting in the brush. For several weeks, she worked that brush pile, trying to flush the rabbit. No luck. But then one day when she circled the south side, the rabbit bolted north, towards the house. My sister's big fat lazy tomcat just happened to be sitting there, and his few firing feline synapses told him to reach out and snag the furry blur.

The rabbit was a big one, probably four pounds, way too big for the cat to climb a tree with. And so, he headed under the house, about the same time the dachshund rounded the brush pile to spy her rabbit in the jaws of another.

Note to cats: going to ground beneath the house is a poor idea when you're trying to abscond with something the badger hound rightly considers to be hers.

As Dad put it, "The cat went under the house with the rabbit, then the dog went in, then the house jumped up and down on the pilings three or four times, and the dog came out the the rabbit. We didn't see the cat for two weeks."

:grin:

Dachshunds are scary smart, and have a very German personality. They're vindictive, and you don't want to wind up on their bad side.

Kevin

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

KBCraig wrote: Dachshunds are scary smart, and have a very German personality. They're vindictive, and you don't want to wind up on their bad side.
Kevin - you write the BEST stories!

Yes, I agree, dachshunds are the evil geniuses of the dog world. And, as long as you don't get between them and any thing they consider food, they will defend you to death.

Our little weiner is 10 years old, still thinks she is a puppy, still knows how to play the "cute card" when she gets into trouble, and still thinks she is the terror of the neighborhood.

KBCraig
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by KBCraig »

llwatson wrote:Kevin - you write the BEST stories!

Yes, I agree, dachshunds are the evil geniuses of the dog world.
Aw, garsh. Thanks!

For some really hilarious dachshund tales, you have to read Miss Doxie, one of my wife's blog buddies.

http://www.missdoxie.com/

You really will get a kick out of the entries where she hand-draws illustrations.

Edit to add:
My favorite tale is this one:
http://www.missdoxie.com/2006/06/story_time_1.html

Kevin

pistolchamp

back to the subject

Post by pistolchamp »

The guy who did my remewal class wasn't prepared for thirty people to show up. Apparently no appointments were necessary, glad I was early or there would have been no place to sit.

Late comers just sat outside the door and did the best they could.

Since I was a renewal it didn't take long to finish the written test. As soon as one other guy finished he and I were taken to the range. We were ordered to shoot together and COMPETE! No kidding! I am a Master Class shooter and he had never even taken his gun out of the box. It was a new Glock Model 21 in 45 acp and I always shoot and carry a 1911 in 45 acp.

I shot a nice happy face on the head part of the target and my "opponent" didn't hit paper... not once!

The instructor and threatened to disqualify me... for good shooting??????????

Regardless I managed to qualify in the instructors eyes even after shooting nipples and belly button on the target.

Never again, I'll happily travel to find someone else.

kauboy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by kauboy »

Took mine this past weekend at the Academy for Firearms Training off of Belt Line Rd.(the owners of this shop helped to author the CHL bill that we all now enjoy) I loved the class, but there were a few things that I wished had happened.
1. No discussion about proper child saftey precautions(I know they are faily self evident, but it was supposed to be covered.)
2. Couldn't use my own gun to qualify. I had a .40 PX4 and they only allowed true round-nosed ammunition. Since .40 isn't made with round nose, I had to use their GLOCK 9mm. It was "ok" but I'd never shot one and felt that I could have done better with the gun I have been using for months.
3. Alot of time was wasted rehashing things for the renewal folks that had been at the range. They had to go over the same things when another group got back. The repetitiveness was good, but a little boring. (they realize this is a problem, but since 70% of the class was renewals, they felt it was necessary)
4. Deescalation techniques weren't emphasized well enough. What was discussed was very good, but not really enough.

I highly recommend this place for obtaining your CHL. They are very knowledgable about the law and do a fairly good job of tying real-world stories in with the legal stuff. Out of 28,000 students, they have only had one go to jail for a shooting(he did the exact opposite of what he was taught. He openly told the instructor that he was only there to take the test so that he could carry a gun. So sad). A big bonus is that they have a Constable as an instructor, and a psycologist that works with inmates at a local MaxSec prison. Started with an "L", but I can't remember what it was. His insight into the mind of a criminal and how to spot dead giveaways of the "bad seed" and how to avoid them, was very good info to get. Avoiding the situation, or knowing that something is very likely to go down soon is always better than being completely caught off gaurd and not ready. Along with his psyc info, he offers a class in advanced protection tactics which are quick, effective, and so easy, he teaches them to children as young as 8yrs. old. These are things that FBI and undercover agents that he has had before, say that they have never seen in their training.(DAMN BUDGETS) It goes more in depth into the mind and makeup of a criminal and how to "mess" with them if you are ever in a confrontation. The criminal mind is normally very linear and if you (the victim) do things to throw off that linear expectation of how the event is supposed to happen, you gain the upper hand.
I know this is getting long, but one quick story:
I man who took this advanced class went home and showed his wife some of the things he learned. Six months later, he was out of town on business and a man(who later turned out to be a stalker and necropheliac) snuck into their house while whe was there alone. Krept up behind her while she was on the couch and grabbed her around the neck with such force that he cracked three vertebrae. With the few things that her husband had learned and taught her, she PERMANENTLY crippled her attacker, and did it with three fractured neck bones!!! The man returned to the CHL class with his wife about 4 months after so that she could get her CHL. That is where he stood up and told this story.
Needless to say, for the price offered to previous students, I will be signing up for this class ASAP.
"People should not be afraid of their Governments.
Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”