No more Texas Stadium

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Keith B
Posts in topic: 1

No more Texas Stadium

Post by Keith B »

0705 and no more Texas Stadium. Kinda sad to see it go. Lots of memories over the years. :sad:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

mymojo

Re: No more Texas Stadium

Post by mymojo »

Just came back.It was a fun show. Looked like being close was a pain and a lot of gridlock. I lucked out and had a great vantage point about a 1/2 mile NW (north side of 114). There was a nice 20' high dirt pile in the middleof the construction zone that we climbed. They did a little fireworks display right before the implosion that was a nice little feature.
Last edited by mymojo on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Dialing 9-1-1 is wise.... Expecting them to arrive in time to save you is foolish." - Tsung Tzu, The Art of War

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

It just won't feel right driving to the airport and not seeing the Texas stadium. But, progress and all that. Make way for something else. That's one strength of the metroplex, is they don't hesitate to take stuff down and put something else up.

Video of the implosion here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/ne ... id=5075040" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

Drewthetexan

Post by Drewthetexan »

The gridlock was definitely pretty bad up close. A lot more people showed up than I thought would. It was definitely worth the trip out to see!

ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

At least three of the big buttresses remained standing but most of it came down in a nice neat big pile. I guess that they knew in advance that the buttresses might withstand the explosion.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

TheArmedFarmer wrote:Video of the implosion here:
Wow, that's quite a sight to see. It's funny that I could hear some car alarms going off in the video. Wouldn't it be fun to have a job blowing-up stuff up like that?
NRA Endowment Member

driver8

Post by driver8 »

I'm afraid that's gonna happen to the Astrodome someday, surprised it hasn't happened yet.

TheArmedFarmer
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TheArmedFarmer »

WildBill wrote:Wouldn't it be fun to have a job blowing-up stuff up like that?
:iagree: :drool:
Life member: NRA, THSC, HSLDA.

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

We got there at 2:00 am and it took us 30 minutes to navigate traffic into the parking lot and get parked. It took us 2.5 hours to get out of the parking lot. The official count was a little over 4,100 cars.

It was well worth it, though. Had fun tailgating and being a part of history. It was a bittersweet moment when it came down, as I reflected back on the 37 years and 5 Super Bowl teams that played there. This was the house Tex Shramm and Tom Landry built and I was sad to see it go.

I got a little choked up when the guy on the loudspeaker said "Thank you, Texas Stadium. Rest in peace." when it was all done.

This is all that remained when the dust settled.

Edit: I just read on ESPN that the 'guy on the loudspeaker' was Chris Berman.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

AggieC05

Post by AggieC05 »

It was sad to see it go, but well worth the lack of sleep to be there and witness history. Though I am questioning my judgement on the lack of sleep part as I got called into work at 10pm and am still here at 4am. Go IT on call.....

Return to “Off-Topic”