Question

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ConradG
Posts in topic: 8

Question

Post by ConradG »

I was charged but never convicted of possession of marijuana, i had 3 grams. anywho class b mis. did my 90 days of deferred adjudification and payed all my fines, d.a. said the charge would not be on my permanent record. when i applied for a job last year my fingerprint/background check pulled up my arrest but they did not know what the charge was for. my question is would this bar me from getting a CHL?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 7

Re: Question

Post by WildBill »

ConradG wrote:I was charged but never convicted of possession of marijuana, i had 3 grams. anywho class b mis. did my 90 days of deferred adjudification and payed all my fines, d.a. said the charge would not be on my permanent record. when i applied for a job last year my fingerprint/background check pulled up my arrest but they did not know what the charge was for. my question is would this bar me from getting a CHL?
When did this happen?
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
ConradG

Post by ConradG »

lol sorry brain fart this happened in nov 07

mymojo
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mymojo »

ConradG wrote:I was charged but never convicted
IANAL but the whole "never convicted" thing makes me think you're OK. I mean, the cops can *CHARGE* you with anything, at any time, for any reason. Unless you are convicted, then you are not guilty. If you aren't guilty of a crime, then there is no reason to bar you. But thats just me.
"Dialing 9-1-1 is wise.... Expecting them to arrive in time to save you is foolish." - Tsung Tzu, The Art of War

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 4

Post by ScottDLS »

ConradG wrote:I was charged but never convicted of possession of marijuana, i had 3 grams. anywho class b mis. did my 90 days of deferred adjudification and payed all my fines, d.a. said the charge would not be on my permanent record. when i applied for a job last year my fingerprint/background check pulled up my arrest but they did not know what the charge was for. my question is would this bar me from getting a CHL?
For CHL purposes Deferred Adjudication is considered a conviction, so it will bar you from CHL for 5 years (I believe from the end of the 90 days). Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Topic author
ConradG

Post by ConradG »

ok so i have more years until i can apply again from the end of the 90 probation period.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

mymojo wrote:
ConradG wrote:I was charged but never convicted
IANAL but the whole "never convicted" thing makes me think you're OK. I mean, the cops can *CHARGE* you with anything, at any time, for any reason. Unless you are convicted, then you are not guilty. If you aren't guilty of a crime, then there is no reason to bar you. But thats just me.
IANAL either, but I believe that ConradG was convicted. Otherwise, there wouldn't be any need for deferred adjudification. Since it occurred in 2007, I would think he would not be eligible. Again, IANAL so I suggest that ConradG get some legal advice from a lawyer. :tiphat:

Dang, beat again by ScottDSL.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
ConradG

Post by ConradG »

Wildbill excuse my ignorance but would i just have a consultation with a lawyer about this?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

ConradG wrote:Wildbill excuse my ignorance but would i just have a consultation with a lawyer about this?
I am not sure of the meaning of your question. Consulting with a lawyer who knows the law would be able to tell you if you are eligible. If you don't meet the legal requirements, a lawyer could probably not help you get your CHL, if that's what you are asking.
Last edited by WildBill on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
ConradG

Post by ConradG »

sorry what i meant was could i just call a lawyer or go to their office and ask them this question? are there any lawyers on this board that could answer my question?

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

ConradG wrote:sorry what i meant was could i just call a lawyer or go to their office and ask them this question? are there any lawyers on this board that could answer my question?
Sorry. You could call a lawyer on the phone, but I don't know if they would offer legal advice or require an office visit. Yes, there are lawyers who post on this board, but they do not offer legal advice on this forum.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
ConradG

Post by ConradG »

thanks for the quick responses. i will follow your advice and call a few different lawyers. thank you! :thewave

SwimFan85

Post by SwimFan85 »

You can always talk to a lawyer if you want but not all of them will know the CHL laws.

Texas Government Code, Sec. 411.171. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(4) "Convicted" means an adjudication of guilt or, except as provided in Section 411.1711,
an order of deferred adjudication entered against a person by a court of competent jurisdiction whether or not the imposition of the sentence is subsequently probated and the person is discharged from community supervision. The term does not include an adjudication of guilt or an order of deferred adjudication that has been subsequently:
(A) expunged;
(B) pardoned under the authority of a state or federal official; or
(C) otherwise vacated, set aside, annulled, invalidated, voided, or sealed under any state or federal law.

Sec. 411.1711 is a special case for deferred adjudication 10+ years ago, so it doesn't apply to you yet.
Our chains are forged! Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston!
The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come.

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

ConradG wrote:thanks for the quick responses. i will follow your advice and call a few different lawyers. thank you! :thewave
Good idea! I would like to offer some non-legal advice to some of the neophytes who peruse this forum.

If you are accused of a crime, the DA is not your lawyer, nor are they your friend. They do not represent you. They represent "The People of The State of Texas" and their job is to convict you of a crime.

If you are accused of a crime, it is in your best interest to retain your own legal counsel who will represent you and protect your rights and interests.
NRA Endowment Member

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

Let me second WildBill and add that the same applies to the police officer who is talking to you when you are accused of something. GET THE BEST LAWYER YOU CAN.

And to keep it on the original topic, I think the new change in the law on deferred adjudication means you are good to go, but I am not 100% sure.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”