belts for ccw

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Glock 23
Posts in topic: 3

belts for ccw

Post by Glock 23 »

i went to the gunstore the other day and saw the big, thick belts for concealed carry. but they were $80. are these belts night and day compared to a decent leather 'normal' belt.

just wondering if they're worth the cost?

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: belts for ccw

Post by The Annoyed Man »

DM Bullard will sell you a gunbelt for about $60. I've worn mine for 2 years now, it is still holding up.

Also, the Instructor Belt from Wilderness Tactical Products goes for $40, and it is a reinforced gunbelt. I have one of those two, and it's a well made belt.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

KFP

Post by KFP »

Give the 5.11 belts a look too - I've been very pleased with mine and at ~$20 the price is right!

http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactica ... pants.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (Belt is free with pants/Pants are free with belt, depending on how you'd like to look at it.)
Life Member NRA & TSRA

Topic author
Glock 23

Post by Glock 23 »

thx for the replys.

what width should i be looking at? i plan to carry a few things on the belt...gun, spare mags, mace, etc.
but i also want to make sure it fits thru my belt loops. heard 1.75 is usually to big. maybe go for 1.5inch?

A-R

Post by A-R »

Glock 23 wrote:i went to the gunstore the other day and saw the big, thick belts for concealed carry. but they were $80. are these belts night and day compared to a decent leather 'normal' belt.

just wondering if they're worth the cost?
In a word "YES" they're worth every penny. But you don't even have to pay that much for a decent gun belt. As mentioned above 5.11 makes some good belts that even at full retail are only about $35. You can often find them new on eBay for half that.

As for size, all of mine are 1.5-inch for the reason you stated. That's about as wide as you can fit through regular belt loops

Here's a review I did of various gun belts I've tried: http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic. ... +5.11+belt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MojoTexas

Post by MojoTexas »

I've read good reviews about this belt-maker: http://www.thebeltman.net/index.htm

However, I don't own one (yet). I was impressed enough by the site and the review to bookmark it for later.
NRA Life member, TSRA member

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
--Robert A. Heinlein, Beyond This Horizon, 1942

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

I've used a 1.5" kydex-lined leather belt from Comp-Tac for the last 3 years, and am very pleased with it's performance. Here's a link: http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info.php?products_id=43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

I have a couple of the Double Duty belts from Cabela's. Caught them on sale for $24.95. They are very stiff, hold up well and look good for Dockers or jeans either one.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

USCGELECTROTECH

Post by USCGELECTROTECH »

I second the 5.11 belts. I wear mine everyday. :patriot:
Taurus PT145 MIL PRO (Carry Gun)
NRA
USCG (01-04 Blown Knee)
Semper Paratus

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

Yes to the 100th power. I wish I had caught on earlier. I had surgery in the abdominal region a few months ago and even using a Hoffner's "camera pouch" to carry my Glock 27 (the smallest frame in the Glock line) I had pain at the surgery sight - the scar is even with my "beltline" at about 10:30.
I was forced to resort to just carrying a couple of "mouse guns" on my person and leaving the "real" gun within easy reach.
I learned about gunbelts here on the forum, purchased a good one, and now I can comfortably carry a Glock 30 (chopped full size frame - 45acp) all day long in a Comp-Tac Minotaur IWB while wearing 511 shorts or pants. In the course of a regular workday I get in and out of my truck about 50 times during a 10 to 14 hour shift - that's a lot of movement - yet it remains comfortable even at the end of the day.
Last edited by mctowalot on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gearheart

Post by Gearheart »

My $80 belt just arrived in the mail. I am wearing it now, and I am very happy with it.

RPB
Banned

Post by RPB »

Comp-Tac Contoured, Kydex reinforced, Velcro lined .... best belt I ever owned.
Yeah, costs more than a Wal-Mart belt ... but it was worth the $ .
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Topic author
Glock 23

Post by Glock 23 »

thx for all the replys. i ordered the 5.11 belt. most of the other options listed were $80+ I'll try this one out and if it doesnt work i might have to bite the bullet for a com-tac. I have a minotaur holster from them im happy with.

NcongruNt

Post by NcongruNt »

MojoTexas wrote:I've read good reviews about this belt-maker: http://www.thebeltman.net/index.htm

However, I don't own one (yet). I was impressed enough by the site and the review to bookmark it for later.
I've owned one for almost 3 years now (the only belt I've worn, every day, since I got it), and it's still going. Certainly worth the $80.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

AddyLO

Post by AddyLO »

I just bought my second Don Hume belt. Very nice quality. For under $40 they're a good value.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”