Daughter shot me - ricochet

So that others may learn.

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B, Charles L. Cotton

MSC182
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Daughter shot me - ricochet

Post by MSC182 »

boomerang wrote:
TexasComputerDude wrote:lesson: always wear safety glasses......
:iagree:
+2. I was shooting with some friends years ago and caught a 240 gr JSP right between the eyes from a ricochet. My buddy's wife was shooting his Super Redhawk and the bullet bounced back off of a railroad tie from about 35 yards.
1/19/10 Took CHL class
1/21/10 Packet mailed to DPS
1/28/10 Check cleared
2/12/10 Received PIN in the mail - Processing Application
2/18/10 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
2/22/10 Plastic in hand

Topic author
UncleBob
Posts in topic: 13

Post by UncleBob »

austinrealtor wrote:Did this happen at Astro Shooting Range? Not trying to disparage the range, I've shot there briefly twice (just trying out a new gun for 25-50 rounds and left). But I've heard a few people say they didn't think the range was "safe enough". One of these persons was active-duty military and seems to know something about range safety from military work (armorer for a certain group or something?) Anyway, no one has elaborated on what specifically they found unsafe.
I've driven past that range a couple of times, however no. Astro isn't the range I am referring too. I have a couple of police friends who don't recommend that place, and the range I have been going too I've been there several times over the past 3 years.

The range isn't bad, and I wish I could recall the name. lol - it's metal overhang on the pistol side is what got me. But I have been going there for a while. This was a fluke, but I normally don't see over head cover on pistol targets on ranges and up today it hadn't ever been a problem. I will probably go back, check the burm and lower the targets. I won't bring the kids though.

I was going to check out astro until my police friends said that it wasn't safe. Ultimately you will have to go there on your own to judge for yourself though, as will I.

Wish I had the money, I'd love to open my own range.
2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
2/17/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/25/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"
3/17/10 License issued or Certificate Active
3/20/10 Plastic in Hand

Semper Fi!

kalipsocs

Post by kalipsocs »

gigag04 wrote:There is a video somewhere of a guy shooting a Barrett .50 into a steel plate at DISTANCE and it bounces back and takes off his hat....

Pretty crazy stuff.
[youtube][/youtube]

VoiceofReason
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by VoiceofReason »

I was at the range many years ago with a friend. He was firing a “lower end” 357 and I was standing to his left. The cylinder did not line up exactly with the barrel. It “spit some lead” which hit me in the side of the face. :mad5 Barely broke the skin. He got rid of the gun. :hurry:
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

Bonc_CHL

Post by Bonc_CHL »

Was it Stan's Shooting Range?
That is where I did my CHL shooting test, and the lady doing my class was not a fan of there set up. As we were wrapping up for the morning we had 2 ricochets buzz over head from what I think was the rifle range but am not sure. The CHL range is kind of away from the rest of the place.
But when I saw my instructor get nervous I was glad we were getting outta there!!
Springfield XD40 Sub-compact
S&W Model 37

Topic author
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Bonc_CHL wrote:Was it Stan's Shooting Range?
That is where I did my CHL shooting test, and the lady doing my class was not a fan of there set up. As we were wrapping up for the morning we had 2 ricochets buzz over head from what I think was the rifle range but am not sure. The CHL range is kind of away from the rest of the place.
But when I saw my instructor get nervous I was glad we were getting outta there!!
:fire :leaving :fire :anamatedbanana
2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
3/20/10 Plastic in Hand

Semper Fi!

chuckybrown
Banned

Post by chuckybrown »

On my wedding day 16 years ago, a groomsman and I went to the range in the morning before the ceremony. There were alot of people there that day, and we were shooting various pistols. Just before we were ready to leave, felt a "thump" in my stomach just above my belt. It hit me so hard it knocked the wind out of me.

I set my pistol down, and got my breath back. Mark (my friend) was looking at me "I've been hit" I said. I looked at my shirt: no hole no blood. So, I unbuttoned my shirt...still no blood, and nothing on the white t-shirt. I pulled my t-shirt up to reveal an already purple spot just above my waistline. Looking at my brass belt buckle (yea, in those days I wore the big Cowboy-style belt buckles) and the top lip of it was curled toward inward. I looked on the ground, and found this at my feet:

I'm not sure the crease in the bullet was caused by my belt buckle, or by whatever the bullet hit. I am confident, however, that the belt buckle kept me from ending up in the ER that day having a slug removed.

I have kept it as a keepsake. If I can survive being shot on my wedding day, my marriage can withstand anything!

p.s. I told my "wife" on the way to the reception and handed her the bullet. She cried, but was happy I was still around, LOL.
Chuckybrown

VoiceofReason
Banned

Post by VoiceofReason »

Wow!!! :shock:
God Bless America, and please hurry.
When I was young I knew all the answers. When I got older I started to realize I just hadn’t quite understood the questions.-Me

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 5

Post by sjfcontrol »

chuckybrown wrote:On my wedding day 16 years ago,

I'm not sure the crease in the bullet was caused by my belt buckle, or by whatever the bullet hit. I am confident, however, that the belt buckle kept me from ending up in the ER that day having a slug removed.

I have kept it as a keepsake. If I can survive being shot on my wedding day, my marriage can withstand anything!

p.s. I told my "wife" on the way to the reception and handed her the bullet. She cried, but was happy I was still around, LOL.

Naw... It only counts that way if you're shot BY YOUR FIANCÉ !! Random rounds? Man up, dude! :boxing :biggrinjester:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

PJK

Post by PJK »

Being shot on your wedding day is remarkable!

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were shooting with some friends on Valentines day. We shot an old aluminum frying pan at about 30 yards. We started with a 9, moved to a 45, then on to 223 through an AR. We were just about to leave when I picked up my 12 gauge loaded with some 7 1/2. Yeah, I was brilliant that day. One of the pellets flew back and hit my wife in the face. Some men give their wives chocolates or roses, Mr. brilliant here shoots his wife in the face. It just left a small red mark and did not hurt her luckily. NO, she is not divorcing me. She was a great sport about it. I just am nervous about next years payback. LOL

"Why are there mass shootings in gun free zones? The same reason there are non at gun ranges"

hheremtp

Post by hheremtp »

PJK wrote:Being shot on your wedding day is remarkable!

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were shooting with some friends on Valentines day. We shot an old aluminum frying pan at about 30 yards. We started with a 9, moved to a 45, then on to 223 through an AR. We were just about to leave when I picked up my 12 gauge loaded with some 7 1/2. Yeah, I was brilliant that day. One of the pellets flew back and hit my wife in the face. Some men give their wives chocolates or roses, Mr. brilliant here shoots his wife in the face. It just left a small red mark and did not hurt her luckily. NO, she is not divorcing me. She was a great sport about it. I just am nervous about next years payback. LOL

I hope you are a light sleeper! "rlol" :evil2:
Steve

PANT3RA

Post by PANT3RA »

UncleBob wrote:We were at the range between Austin and lampasas. Can't remember the name right off hand, however my daughter was shooting .45 XD at 15 yards with me on her left rear watching her. The round bounced off some sheet metal and hit me square in the shoulder/chest.

Hurt

Have to say I won't be going back to that range anytime soon. my daughter didn't do anything wrong, good stance, good hold, good aim. Sheet metal in the berm = bad.

Not a bad wound, just broke the skin, but it knocked me back a couple of feet. Feel lucky it was me and not my duaghter.

Hmm, now the .45 acp fan boys are going to go crazy over this...... Talk about "knock down power" he was knocked back 2 feet from only a ricochet! "rlol"

On a serious note though, glad to hear you're relatively ok without landing yourself a trip to the hospital....

Topic author
UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

Hmm, now the .45 acp fan boys are going to go crazy over this...... Talk about "knock down power" he was knocked back 2 feet from only a ricochet! "rlol"

On a serious note though, glad to hear you're relatively ok without landing yourself a trip to the hospital....[/quote]

Thanks.... I'm a pretty big guy - Samoan/Mix.... 250+ lbs ... It happened last week - and the bruise is still there, but just barely. I'd say it was 7 - 10 yards to target, and probably another 2 to the piece of metal. So in total I estimated the bullet traveled about 20/22 feet or so. The day after it happened, I could move my arm, but it hurt a bit. The day it happened, I played it off the best I could. I didn't want the kids to be scared of the range, however the wife new I was hurting when I asked her to carry the gun bags for me. Needless to say I drove home one handed that day. :coolgleamA:

Taking the kids back to the rifle range next week. Just like riding a bike. :fire :banghead: I'll test/check out the pistol range again before letting the kids shoot there. Hopefully it was just a fluke accident. There aren't too many ranges we can go to around here. But safety first.
2/15/10 CHL Class
2/16/10 Packet Sent
3/20/10 Plastic in Hand

Semper Fi!

AddyLO

Post by AddyLO »

Very informative thread. This really makes me think about the indoor range I've been going to. Maybe it's time to look for a new range.

sjfcontrol
Posts in topic: 5

Post by sjfcontrol »

Was this an indoor, or outdoor range? I presumed it was outdoor, shooting into a earthen backstop containing some debris.
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

Return to “Never Again!!”