Dog shooter of the week

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 66

Re: Dog shooter of the week

Post by seamusTX »

I have no clue what authority animal control is under in your county. Maybe the health department. You can work the system.

Or if there's an anti-cruelty society, they may be more "proactive" than government employees. In many places they have the legal authority to confiscate neglected or abused animals.

It's a yapping female dog that law-abiding citizens have to go to so much trouble to deal with jerks, but that's life.

Also, you might want to consider the pros and cons of starting a neighbor feud. They tend not to work out well.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

AEA
Posts in topic: 7

Post by AEA »

I contacted animal cruelty last winter, but he had no resources and said he could do some stake out and take pictures etc, but he had no resources to get the dogs even if he was successful in getting a court order to seize them.

I do not want to start a feud.

I have told the Sheriff, the owners of the dogs and the other neighbors that if/when those dogs are found in my yard again they will be shot.

I have the 870 by the door and my .45 ACP in my pocket even when I am in my robe.

I hope bubba is gentle! :shock:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Have you considered bear spray? It's non-lethal for the most part; and dogs learn quickly from painful experiences.

- Jim

AEA

Post by AEA »

No I have not, but that was going to be my next attempt. I was considering just getting some pepper spray and walk over to the fence when I know that no one is there and the dogs are barking at me and letting them have half a can each right in the face!

Would bear spray work better?
1911's RULE!

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I never bought a can of bear spray or used it on anything. We don't have too many bears on Galveston Island.

My understanding is that it has a nasty Scoville score, high volume, and long distance compared to the "mugger" types.

I'd try the chew bones first, but that's just me.

- Jim

AEA

Post by AEA »

OK, thanks! :tiphat:
1911's RULE!

Topic author
seamusTX

When shoot, shovel, and shut up doesn't work

Post by seamusTX »

Kalkaska County, Michigan (north central lower peninsula, middle of nowhere) -- Three men turned themselves in to authorities on charges related to the shooting deaths of two hunting dogs in September.

Two 18-year-old men allegedly shot two dogs while their owner was hunting coyotes. No explanation given. The dogs' corpses were traced by GPS locators in their collars.

The third man, the father of one of the younger men, was charged with offenses related to covering up the crime.

This is a description of the charges:
  • Suspect 1: two counts of killing or torturing an animal, the use of a firearm during a felony, and conspiracy to obstruct justice
  • Suspect 2: one count of killing or torturing an animal, use of a firearm during a felony, and conspiracy to obstruct justice
  • Suspect 3: two counts of being an accessory after the fact to a felony and conspiracy to obstruct justice
http://www.record-eagle.com/local/local ... 74616.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.9and10news.com/category/storyS/?id=186602" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

No further news of the preceding incident was published. Probably the defendants reached a plea bargain.

In Pittston Township, Pennsylvania (middle of nowhere), a man is on trial for fatally shooting a neighbor's dog.
[The defendant], 43, said he was walking his mother's 40-pound beagle mix, Coco, on a leash when the neighbor's 90-pound German shepherd, Keira, escaped from its yard and "pounced" on Coco.

Prosecutors say [the defendant] didn't need to shoot the dog, but was motivated to eliminate the dog due to an ongoing feud between the two families over their dogs.

"Why didn't you pick up a shovel, a stick or pepper spray?" Assistant District Attorney ... asked [the defendant].

"Because I carry a gun. That's the purpose of carrying a gun, to protect yourself and I felt threatened," said [the defendant], who holds a valid Pennsylvania concealed-carry permit.
Further details of long-running feud:

http://citizensvoice.com/news/man-defen ... g-1.690082" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

A jury found this guy not guilty after deliberating for an hour.

A family friend who is a lawyer handled the defense pro bono. It was the lawyer's first criminal defense case.

http://citizensvoice.com/news/defendant ... g-1.691643" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

In Clearwater, Florida, a man and wife had an argument. She reportedly left the house, and he got drunk. He fatally shot his own dog and accidentally hit the neighbor's house.

Police said he would be charged with harged with felony animal cruelty and improper discharge of a firearm after he is released from the hospital, where he is being treated for alcohol poisoning.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/03/31/1 ... g-dog.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 2

Post by randomoutburst »

AEA wrote:I live in the country in Grayson county.
I've got a neighbor who has 3 pit bulls that are in the yard and bark at me every time I go outside my door. It's even worse than that......they start barking when I turn on my bathroom light at night to go to the toilet!

These people do not live at the house. They set these dogs out and they go mad barking at everything that moves and no one is even home. Sometimes they have someone come and stay at the house for awhile but whoever that is may or may not take the dogs inside. When they do, it is quiet for those times.

These dogs get out and have advanced on me in a pack in my own yard before! I was unarmed at the time. I have called the Sheriff and was told that if they come back in my yard and I feel threatened, I have a legal right to shoot them.

They have been out several times again, but have not come into my yard. Instead they go to a pasture area where another neighbor keeps livestock and they attacked a cow and bit an ear off! Needless to say, the owner of the livestock is not too happy either! :mad5

I have been just that close to walking over to the fence with my 870 and putting all three of these inbreed dogs down when they are barking all night long....it is maddening! :banghead:

So unless they come back in my yard I guess I have to live with this! It is not fair. My neighborhood was a nice quiet place till these people bought the place next door and staked out the dogs and left. I have talked to the Sheriff, commissioner, judge, with no avail. The judge actually lives in the same neighborhood and I have considered taking the dogs and staking them out around the judge's house for a few nights to see how he likes it........ :thumbs2:

I am at my wits end...... :banghead:

If you see me drop off posting here, you will know that my dog troubles are over and now all I gotta worry about is bubba, my room mate........ :shock:
I'm curious about your location because I live in Grayson County (Denison) and have a neighbor with several pit bulls. Hubby and I already decided if they approach in a threatening manner, they will be shot. The owners are irresponsible with their animals, don't train them, and let them roam. It's not the dogs' fault by any means and I would be deeply upset if I ever had to shoot a dog, but I value my life more than the dog's, plain and simple. I'm not big enough to fight off a medium-sized dog, much less a large one.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

In Fort Myers, Florida, yesterday, a 17-year-old errant choir boy shot and killed a police dog during a misunderstanding about distribution of wealth.

He was sent to the next level.

http://www.news-press.com/article/20100 ... in-custody" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remarkably handsome fellows. I'm sure they have to beat off the girls with a stick.

Poor dogs.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

jester
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jester »

seamusTX wrote:Remarkably handsome fellows. I'm sure they have to beat off the girls with a stick.
They probably love his Brock (Pokemon) hairstyle.
"There is but one correct answer...and it is best delivered with a Winchester rifle."

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

That one is the croaker.

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

In Nekoosa, Wisconsin (middle of nowhere) in August 2010 two men allegedly shot and killed a stray dog that threatened animals and people.

They have been charged with felony animal mistreatment. A judge denied their lawyers' motions to dismiss based on self defense.

http://www.wisconsinrapidstribune.com/a ... 1012310786" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Shoot, shovel, and SHUT UP!

- Jim

Return to “Off-Topic”