One down, Homeowner safe!

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

One down, Homeowner safe!

Post by Beiruty »

DALLAS - A homeowner shot and killed a person allegedly breaking into a home early Thursday afternoon in the 7100 block of Fair Oaks Avenue in northeast Dallas.

Police received a call about the break-in and shooting at about 12:20 p.m. When they arrived on the scene, the suspected burglar was found fatally wounded.

Source: http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Suspecte ... 67247.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Carry-a-Kimber

Re: One down, Homeowner safe!

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

:clapping:

hheremtp

Post by hheremtp »

GG 1
BG 0

Thats the way it should be.
Steve

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Hold up on that car wash gentlemen. It appears the two men knew each other and the home owner is being questioned.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

seniorshooteress

Post by seniorshooteress »

When are the BG's going to figure out: we're tired of this and just ain't going to take it any more. Surprise, we're ARMED! :fire :woohoo
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 4

Post by seamusTX »

Homeowner charged with murder: http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/archive ... n-fat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

jmra

Post by jmra »

seamusTX wrote:Homeowner charged with murder: http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/archive ... n-fat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
Wow. Look at the police report. You always hear cops complaining about paperwork. I have to do more paperwork than that when I write a kid a tally for chewing gum at school.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

DTCOOPER

Post by DTCOOPER »

I would suspect that since there was history between homeowner and victim, they must take the side of caution and file charges.
I would also suspect that although previously knowing the victim adds some grey area, that he'll also be cleared..
This goes to show us all that there will always be bad guys (one or both of them) and there will always be murder, rape, theft, etc.. And it's up to each of us to protect what is our own. Families, posessions, homes, etc.. Dealing with the ramifications of taking ones' life is something that I hope none of us have to do.. But rest assured if it's me or him, Hopefully I'll be the one answering the questions when it's done.
What's the adage?? Rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6 ? I sincerelt hope it was a good shooting.. But whether or not they knew each other, is irrelevant to me.. Especially if the "victim" was threatening or attacking the homeowner.
If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics obviously suck.
2/13/10 - Class Taken
2/16/10 - Mailed Packet
3-20-10 Wife's Approved-License Active
3-25-10 Wife- Plastic
3-30-10 mine legal review
4-9-10 mine approved
4-16-10 my plastic arrived !! woo hoo !!

chabouk
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by chabouk »

Even if the resident was 100% justified and is cleared, this will be another one of those "more likely to kill someone you know" statistics. And of course those stats are true, because being attacked by a total stranger is very rare. You can know someone very well, and still be fully justified in shooting.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

This is now a news story instead of a blog: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 2f8ba.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking only at the facts that we have from the news story:
  • Guy fatally shot someone in his apartment.
  • Reported it to the police as a burglary.
  • Police have a witness that says differently.
  • Guy is charged with murder.
Now he gets to enjoy the amenities of the Dallas County lockup until he makes bail -- if he can make bail. Then he gets to wait a month or so to see if he is no-billed or indicted.

Meanwhile, he can be fired, probably evicted, can't travel, and whatever other bail conditions the judge imposes.

I would hope that most of us could avoid getting to this point through better planning.

- Jim

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

seamusTX wrote: I would hope that most of us could avoid getting to this point through better planning.

- Jim
Exactly what do you mean by better planning? :headscratch :headscratch :mrgreen:

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

IMO, just knowing the victim shouldn't automatically mean it is a bad shoot. Often, robberies are done by people we know who know what we have. At least I have heard many people mention past experiences of some no-good relative or stuff like that.

Sounds like this one may not be cut and dried though. I hope justice is done regardless.

seamusTX

Re: One down, Homeowner in jail

Post by seamusTX »

MechAg94 wrote:Exactly what do you mean by better planning?
Very few situations go from condition green to shooting with no intermediate stages (mainly robberies and massacres by lunatics).

When two men have a dispute over money, a woman, some perceived insult, or whatever, either of them can defuse the situation before it gets violent.

If one has his mind made up to be an unreasonable jerk, the other can avoid him, or at least not engage in further argument. Walking away can be hard on the ego, but it costs a lot less than a criminal defense lawyer.

If nothing else, the innocent party can build up a record of harassment and threats, if that kind of thing is going on.

I've posted several incidents in the Off-Topic section that initially looked like self defense, but the police developed a case of criminal homicide. Most of them involved disputes that both parties had been escalating over a period of time -- days, weeks, or longer.

- Jim

joe817

Post by joe817 »

seamusTX wrote:This is now a news story instead of a blog: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 2f8ba.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking only at the facts that we have from the news story:
  • Guy fatally shot someone in his apartment.
  • Reported it to the police as a burglary.
  • Police have a witness that says differently.
  • Guy is charged with murder.
Now he gets to enjoy the amenities of the Dallas County lockup until he makes bail -- if he can make bail. Then he gets to wait a month or so to see if he is no-billed or indicted. Meanwhile, he can be fired, probably evicted, can't travel, and whatever other bail conditions the judge imposes. I would hope that most of us could avoid getting to this point through better planning.
- Jim
All to often we all(me included) tend to jump at the opportunity to jump in and start lambasting...somebody. The good guy, bad guy, LEO's, politicians, etc, etc, etc ad infinitum.

Let's don't jump to conclusion or speculate until more information is known......as in this case.

We don't know, what we don't know. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

joe817 wrote:Let's don't jump to conclusion or speculate until more information is known......as in this case.
Where's the fun in that? :mrgreen:

Remember Joe Horn? Half the people who had an opinion wanted him locked up for the rest of his life. The other half wanted him to get a medal.

Neither happened, as I recall.

- Jim

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”