3rd or susequent renewal

A meeting place for CHL instructors

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
ericsu19
Posts in topic: 2

3rd or susequent renewal

Post by ericsu19 »

I am sure someone can help me with this unless I am not understanding this my interpetation is that a 3rd renewal must take the class and show proficiency and take the exam.
And then has to renew one time in a ten year period.

Or is he exempt from the course?

HB 1839 Training requirements for renewals
• Provides that a renewal applicant need not complete the otherwise required course in handgun proficiency, nor obtain the otherwise required proficiency certificate, more than once in any 10-year period.
Amends Government Code § 411.185(a) as follows:
To renew a license, a license holder must:
(1) complete a continuing education course in handgun proficiency under Section 411.188(c) within the six-month period preceding:
(A) the date of application for renewal, for a first or second renewal; and
(B) the date of application for renewal or the date of application for the preceding renewal, for a third or subsequent renewal, to ensure that the license holder is not required to complete the course more than once in any 10-year period:
(2) obtain a handgun proficiency certificate under Section 411.189 within the six -month period preceding:
(A) the date of application for renewal, for a first or second renewal; and
(B) the date of application for renewal or the date of application for the preceding renewal, for a third or subsequent renewal, to ensure that the license holder is not required to obtain the certificate more than once in any 10-year period;....

CWOOD
Posts in topic: 3

Re: 3rd or susequent renewal

Post by CWOOD »

Essentially, for the third and subsequent renewal, you only have to take/pass the class and proficiency test on every other renewal.

It says once in any ten year period, so that means every other renewal because the term of the license is now 5 years.

Now remember it is the 3rd RENEWAL.

Let's assume your origianl license was issued in the year 2000.
1st RENEWAL would have been in about 2004, depending upon where your birthday fell in 2000.
2nd RENEWAL would have been in 2008
3rd RENEWAL will be in 2013

In this example, for the 2013 renewal you would not have to take course/proficiency test but you would have to renew through DPS, pay the fee, submit info for prints and background check.

Then for the 2018 renewal you would have to go through the entire process to renew.

Then for the 2023 renewal you would again be exempt from the course/proficiency exam, but again would need to complete the DPS process.

Hope that helps.

Papacub

Post by Papacub »

CWood, your example looks correct. On the 3rd renewal you do not have to take the classroon or proficiency exam, but you will have to submit your fingerprints and photos along with your renewal form.
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified RSO
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA

ElGato
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ElGato »

Papacub wrote:CWood, your example looks correct. On the 3rd renewal you do not have to take the classroon or proficiency exam, but you will have to submit your fingerprints and photos along with your renewal form.

That's right, and for those that want to, I offer doing that for them and teach the new law's at a reduced rate.
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

ElGato wrote:
Papacub wrote:CWood, your example looks correct. On the 3rd renewal you do not have to take the classroon or proficiency exam, but you will have to submit your fingerprints and photos along with your renewal form.

That's right, and for those that want to, I offer doing that for them and teach the new law's at a reduced rate.
Good idea and excellent customer service.

Topic author
ericsu19

Post by ericsu19 »

Thanks for you help. I understand how it works now.

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

ericsu19 wrote:Thanks for you help. I understand how it works now.
You are welcome. Good question.

Papacub

Post by Papacub »

CWOOD wrote:
ElGato wrote:

Good idea and excellent customer service.

Most Excellant Idea ElGato, :tiphat: I will have to add that service also, as it makes perfect sense! Keep you students coming back.
Texas CHL Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified RSO
Life member NRA, Life member TSRA

Return to “Instructors' Corner”