Signed up for class, still awaiting DPS packet

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

joe817
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Signed up for class, still awaiting DPS packet

Post by joe817 »

Good valid questions, Vic. Let's take them 1 at a time:
If I'm understanding this correctly, I can still TAKE THE CLASS, but I cannot use the forms that the instructor provides. I have NO IDEA what these forms are exactly that I cannot use (instead having to use the DPS forms in the packet that I have not received yet). The class I signed up for lists that they include "all forms, affidavits, notary, fingerprinting, and photos".
1. The forms that your instructor will hand out requiring a notary signature, are exactly the same as DPS will send you. Use the one's instructor hands out(assuming you haven't received the DPS application packet at time of class)
2. Of course you will have to use the photos they take in class. Regarding the fingerprint cards: use those as well. You have to(if you haven't received the DPS packet). That won't be a problem at all.

In fact you can use just about everything the instructor hands out EXCEPT the page(s) about personal information(name address, work history, criminal history, etc etc). THAT will already have been done for you by DPS when you applied online. [it's 5 pages btw, when you receive the DPS packet]

Sorry if I confused you. Please note the info on the link you posted from TCHA made statements I believe to be incorrect, as all of the forms & affidavits are identical EXCEPT the personal information pages.

With all that said, when in doubt ASK! Ask here, and if there's still some doubt call DPS. They are friendly and helpful. Explain your situation. I know I did before I took the class. I called down there at least 4 times that I can remember, AND asked dozens of questions here.

I'd be happy to list everything that I received from DPS in my application packet if you think it'd be of any benefit to you. I have copies of every scrap of paper I received in the application and class process. Even my qualification target! :lol:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Vic
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Vic »

That is ENORMOUSLY helpful!!

If I can use everything except the filled-out form, and then simply put the DPS-packet form in the envelope with everything else when I send the application, the problem goes away!

I do not have to show up at the class with the DPS packet, and I don't have to re-visit the instructor to get signatures and such on the DPS forms later.

I feel much better now, thank you!

(I bet that, after learning all this and stressing myself out over it, the DPS packet will be in my mailbox when I get home...)
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Teddy Roosevelt

silverbear

Post by silverbear »

Vic wrote:(I bet that, after learning all this and stressing myself out over it, the DPS packet will be in my mailbox when I get home...)
I garronnnteeeeeeee!

IANAC
(I am not a Cajun) :biggrinjester:
I support the right to arm bears.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Vic wrote:That is ENORMOUSLY helpful!!

If I can use everything except the filled-out form, and then simply put the DPS-packet form in the envelope with everything else when I send the application, the problem goes away! I do not have to show up at the class with the DPS packet, and I don't have to re-visit the instructor to get signatures and such on the DPS forms later. I feel much better now, thank you!
(I bet that, after learning all this and stressing myself out over it, the DPS packet will be in my mailbox when I get home...)
Vic, as a post script to my last entry, if you want to take at a look at(and print out if you want to) the forms/affidavits that the instructor will be handing out to you to be included in your packet, it's available on the DPS website here:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/forms/index.htm#chls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The forms you'll be needing:
1. CR-85 (Authorization For Release of Records Affidavit
2. CR-86 (Knowledge of Laws Affidavit)
3. CR-87 (Eligibility Affidavit)
You can also look at Instructions for CHL-85, CHL-86, CHL-87 Affidavits
Of course the Concealed Handgun Statutes & Related Weapons Laws(LS-16) which you'll be getting a copy of when the DPS packet arrives, can be printed as well.

I'd recommend that you keep the copy of LS-16 that your instructor gives you as well. That way you'll have 2 copies. One for the house. The other for the car. :thumbs2: (I wish I'd have kept my extra copy.)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

woggy101
Posts in topic: 1

Post by woggy101 »

I am an instructor in McKinney, TX. Contact me and I will tell you what to do - free advice!

mitch@shecami.com
(214) 683-0511

Topic author
Vic
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Vic »

I didn't get back to this thread until after I took the class.

My DPS packet showed up on Friday afternoon. My class was on Saturday (yesterday), so it all worked out.

The information I was given in this thread was 100% accurate. If my packet had not shown up before the class, it would not have been an issue. I would just have had to wait until the DPS packet showed up before collecting the documents to send in to Austin.

I was disappointed in the class, and I am even MORE THANKFUL that this forum exists. I got my course completion certificate, so the class was good for that at least. I thought the instructor was WAY disorganized, and didn't present the laws well. I've learned more from this forum than the class could teach anyway.
"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." -- Teddy Roosevelt

Return to “New to CHL?”