Gun shops in Houston

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Gun shops in Houston

Post by gigag04 »

Also - Fogo De Chao is a brazilian churascaria steak house. Google fogo de chao if you're curious.

Pappas is great. I'm partial because I bartended for the company for 3 years (pappadeaux in bush airport).

Also The Capital Grille is great as well.

More:
Taste of Texas.

Houston's

Jasper's (in the Woodlands)

I recommend checking out the websites for all those mentioned and see what you're craving. Also - many of these places are top tier, expensive restaurants, but they will not disappoint. :cheers2:
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

ericlw
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ericlw »

seriously carters country? those people have the worse customer service and bad attitiudes in the houston area.personally i like collectors firearms they are the best.yea their prices are a little high but their service is the best and cant beat their selection.

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MechAg94 »

I've had pretty good service at Collector's Firearms. They also have some guns that you won't find most other places. I agree they are way overpriced on a selection of guns, they are reasonable on others. You have to pay attention and don't just shop there. They actually have a surplus gun rack.

If you are near HW 6, Fountain Firearms has some selection to browse through also.

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I haven't had a bad experience at Carter's Country either, but they are normally really busy. I am normally just browsing when I go by there so they leave me alone.

The only thing close was over hearing a salesman telling a customer who just bought a gun all about "spring set" in magazines and how he need to store them unloaded and such. :)

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Scott in Houston »

I find that these stores are good to browse and compare guns, but not to buy. They are all over-priced. Carter's Country is way high on handguns for example.

My process is always, go to Carter's Country and Collector's to browse and compare, then go to Memorial or Top Gun to test fire (if they rent the one I'm interested in).
Then buy at a gun show. The Gun Show prices are consistently $50-$100 cheaper on new guns.

pdubyoo

Post by pdubyoo »

karl wrote:Far north (Conroe/Woodlands Area):
Shooters Station off of Highway 105
Gun Emporium off of FM 2978

North (Tomball/South Spring):
Spectre Firearms off of Spring Cypress
Spring Guns and Ammo also off of Spring Cypress

Those are probably my favorites I've been to, especially the last two. Carter's country has a good selection but I don't frequent it often (too far from me to visit regularly).
:iagree:
Spring Guns & Ammo is a great shop with some very friendly folks running the place. They'll be opening an 8-lane indoor range sometime in the 2nd quarter this year, with another 8 lanes pending later this year. I like the others as well...Shooter's Station has been a very good shop, and they have a nice indoor range.

For steak...
Perry's (as suggested earlier)
Kirby's (In The Woodlands)
Taste of Texas (http://www.tasteoftexas.com/)

and for a bit of a twist, but certainly an awesome meal with a variety of some great tasting meats...
Fogo de Chao on Westheimer (http://www.fogodechao.com/menu/dining-experience/).
Nov. 2010...Check!
Nov. 2012...Don't Give Up!
Jan. 2013...True Change!

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

G192627 wrote:I find that these stores are good to browse and compare guns, but not to buy. They are all over-priced. Carter's Country is way high on handguns for example.

My process is always, go to Carter's Country and Collector's to browse and compare, then go to Memorial or Top Gun to test fire (if they rent the one I'm interested in).
Then buy at a gun show. The Gun Show prices are consistently $50-$100 cheaper on new guns.
I would say that is correct for most guns. They do have good prices on a few guns and sales on others. At times, stores like that will carry a gun you may not find anywhere else or may think paying $50 is worth not waiting for the next gun show. It depends. I have bought a few guns from those stores for those reasons. I do normally wait to check at least one gun show.

If you get down to Clute, TX, visit AJC Sports Shop. They normally have good prices on pistols and are one of the low price dealers at most gun shows. They are cheaper at the shows though.

Topic author
Sidro
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Sidro »

Thanks for all the info. My trigger finger is trembling and mouth is watering. Have been to 3 or 4 of this type school so they thought my presence might help a younger employee gather a little more information. I think with a side trip or two I won't mind the week so much. Thanks again for all the info.

Scott in Houston
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Scott in Houston »

MechAg94 wrote:
G192627 wrote:I find that these stores are good to browse and compare guns, but not to buy. They are all over-priced. Carter's Country is way high on handguns for example.

I would say that is correct for most guns. They do have good prices on a few guns and sales on others. At times, stores like that will carry a gun you may not find anywhere else or may think paying $50 is worth not waiting for the next gun show. It depends. I have bought a few guns from those stores for those reasons. I do normally wait to check at least one gun show.

If you get down to Clute, TX, visit AJC Sports Shop. They normally have good prices on pistols and are one of the low price dealers at most gun shows. They are cheaper at the shows though.
Thanks. I had heard that about AJC. I used to hunt down in Clute a lot, but never get down there anymore. Maybe I'll have to find a reason to go. :)

Collector's seems to have a lot of guns that you won't usually find around often, but most of the guns I'm in the market for are not super unique. I can definitely understand the "pay more now so I don't have to wait" mentality. :cheers2:

adv

Post by adv »

I agree with the recommendations for Spring Guns and Ammo and Specter, both run by good people.

driver8

Post by driver8 »

Killens steak house in Pearland is the best I ever had but it was big bucks. I don't know what the most expensive one was but somebody in the group had one that was 90 somethin $. Doesn't look like much from the outside but it's well known in the area. As for gun shops, I have found that Academy seems to be cheaper than anyone else if their selection is good enough for you.

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

I second Fountain Firearms. They are very pleasant to deal/do business with. Their prices are a little higher than the gun show, but lower than Collectors. Collectors is an awesome place to go and drool. I have never had a bad experience there, but their prices are a little steep on everyday type guns. For rare stuff and you HAVE to have it...there is no place better in town.

For steaks...I second the mention of Perry's Steakhouse or Pappa's Grill on the Hwy 59 south. Both are 5 star places so don't look at prices, just order and expect to pay. Service is TOP NOTCH at both places.

Fogo De Chao is the most amazing restaurant I have ever eaten at. I have been there 5 or so times and was blown away by food selection, quantity, service, and atmosphere. :txflag:
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

tb7475

Post by tb7475 »

For gun
Jim Pruett's Gun Shop:
http://houstongundealer.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
For steak
Fogo de Chao
http://www.fogodechao.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Can't go wrong with either one of them

igotta40

Post by igotta40 »

I haven't seen Sullivan's mentioned on here yet so I'll chime in. On Westheimer near the I-610 west loop. Wedge salad, steak & baked potato, best I ever had. My GF and I together with the tip came to just under a Franklin.

Carry-a-Kimber

Post by Carry-a-Kimber »

I'm a big fan of Carters Country's "6 months same as cash" no interest financing. True, their prices may be a little higher than others, but where else can you buy a $1000 gun for less than $200 a month? I have purchased 15 or so firearms from them over the past 10 years and had very few bad experiences in all the times I have been there (usually Treaschwig but also Katy and Pasadena). Top Gun near the Galleria is another favorite of mine, smaller selection, but good prices and very well versed staff. As for beef, Pappas Grill in Stafford is excellent with very reasonable prices. If your'e downtown and have an expense account try The Striphouse, great steaks and exeptional sides, you just don't want to be the one paying ;-) .

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”