Road rage incident with CHL involved

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
zbordas
Posts in topic: 3

Road rage incident with CHL involved

Post by zbordas »

... at least according to the "Houston Comical". That's the only news site that mentioned that the guy has a CHL so far and I'm not sure if it is true or not. If it is then the anti-gang will start their "if he had no gun" argument again... :banghead:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/met ... 96633.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randle, 40, declined to comment when contacted by the Chronicle today.

Houston homicide investigators say Calderon, who is licensed to carry a concealed handgun, alleged he was acting in self defense, but his story does not match the accounts provided by numerous witnesses.

"He's very knowledgeable about gun laws and about when he can and can't use his weapon," said Sgt. Brian Harris of the Houston Police Department Homicide Division. "There are no indications this was self-defense."

The confrontation began when Calderon's 1998 Cadillac struck Randle's Nissan Altima Wednesday night and kept going, police said. Randle told police she sped up to the Cadillac and wrote down its license plate number. She then passed the Cadillac, police said.

Randle's daughter then told her the man in the Cadillac was chasing them, the criminal complaint shows.

The shooting happened at 8:20 p.m. when the two cars reached the 3900 block of Westhampton Drive and one of the bullets went through the back windshield of Randle's Altima and hit her daughter in the head. Police believe the girl was turned around in her seat, looking out the car's back window and talking to her mother as Calderon chased them when she was shot, Harris said.

Randle then stopped her car. When police officers arrived, they saw the wounded teen lying in the street before an ambulance rushed her to the hospital. Randle gave Houston police the license plate number she had written down.

A Houston police officer went to the home on Heatherbloom, the address where the Cadillac is registered, and was greeted by Calderon's father, Roberto Calderon, who said he knew why the officer was there and that his son had "done something terrible," the criminal complaint shows.

Richard Calderon then came to the door and said he had done "a terrible thing," the report shows. He admitted firing the .9 mm handgun that he gave the officers and admitted shooting at Randle's vehicle, the complaint states.

cougartex
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Road rage incident with CHL involved

Post by cougartex »

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

5thGenTexan

Post by 5thGenTexan »

Well here we go, one idiot will cause a whole bunch of grief for all of us. Doesn't matter that he's one out of how many tens of thousands in the state.

I feel for the mother that had to watch her daughter die, due to this moron.
5th Generation Texan
"Republicrats and Demicans, it ain't no surprise,
Got their hands full of gimme, they got their mouths full of lies."

shortysboy09

Post by shortysboy09 »

That was stupid of him to do. Maybe if they fired at him first he would have a legitimate self-defense case. Bottom line, this guy is screwed...

It tarnishes every one of us here. Very sad...
Disclaimer for all my posts: IANAL

My setup:

Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II or Bersa Thunder .380
Crossbreed Supertuck

NRA Member
TSRA Member

btaylor

Post by btaylor »

I, at times, have found myself thinking that I'm the only person driving with a pistol handy. Even when playing out scenarios in my head, I would almost always be the only one armed.

More and more, though, I've been trying to think (especially in aggressive driving situations) 'the person who just cut me off is a jerk, but he may also be armed just like me which just reaffirms, for me, the philosophy of DE-ESCALATION.

my prayers go out to the family, I can't fathom how the families must be feeling. Two lives ruined because of a hot head. Makes you think.
04/21/09 App Received By DPS
06/01/09 PIN Received/Processing App
09/01/09 Application Complete
09/05/09 Plastic In Hand

NRA Life Member

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

So the CHL holder gets into an accident and drives off, the lady follows and get his plate so the CHL holder shot at her and killed her daughter????

Put the CHL holder in a noose and kick him off a bridge.
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

buffalo_speedway_tx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by buffalo_speedway_tx »

If this person is guilty I hope that he gets his just "rewards". According to the accounts of this situation there was no reason for the escalation. Very sorry for the victim and the family. I heard the victim is in critical condition. I will pray for her recovery.

davidtx

Post by davidtx »

buffalo_speedway_tx wrote:If this person is guilty I hope that he gets his just "rewards". According to the accounts of this situation there was no reason for the escalation. Very sorry for the victim and the family. I heard the victim is in critical condition. I will pray for her recovery.
The article's title is "Murder charge filed in teen's road rage death" - is this incorrect?

buffalo_speedway_tx

Post by buffalo_speedway_tx »

Davidtx, Sorry to say you are correct. I missed that. I had heard about this earlier and she was in critical condition.

A-R

Post by A-R »

They should put this idiot on the fast track to Huntsville and let the victim's momma throw the switch if she wants to.

What a senseless, easily avoidable, tragedy.

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

The guy is 24 years old. Sounds like young and dumb had not worn off yet. What a tragedy. If he had knowledge of gun laws as stated, I can't imagine what he thought justified doing that. Now he will be up for a murder charge. That mom will be passionately on the side of the antis and who could blame her?
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Topic author
zbordas

Post by zbordas »

Yeap, look at all the comments at the bottom. It will not look good in the statistics...

http://www.khou.com/news/HPD-14-year-ol ... 36722.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I feel for the family. I cannot even imagine what it could be loosing a child because of animal like this.

HankB

Post by HankB »

btaylor wrote:More and more, though, I've been trying to think (especially in aggressive driving situations) 'the person who just cut me off is a jerk, but he may also be armed just like me which just reaffirms, for me, the philosophy of DE-ESCALATION.
On those (fortunately) rare instances when some would-be road rager tries to provoke me, I smile, shrug, wave, and try to make the idiot think I'm apologizing for whatever the heck he thinks I did. He gets to drive off thinking he's Alpha Male King of the Road for making me back down, and I don't have to shoot him.

That's a good outcome in my book.

As for the Houston case . . . hopefully the law will ultimately end the perp. A sad day for CHL holders.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Topic author
zbordas

Post by zbordas »

... and the guy is out of jail on bond. Anybody see anything wrong here? :mad5

http://www.click2houston.com/news/22750812/detail.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Man Charged In Girl's Death Bonds Out

This looks very bad. Before I make judgement, I want to hear all the facts. There have been way to many cases of the media unjustifiably attacking CHLs in the past. It's a pattern.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”