Anti depressents

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
gunnut1
Posts in topic: 1

Anti depressents

Post by gunnut1 »

Ok I want to get my CHL. About 2 years ago I was taking a mild antidepressant for work induced stress.
I have "heard" that if you take antidepressants, you will be denied the CHL. Is this true.

I am no longer taking them.

KRM45
Posts in topic: 2

Post by KRM45 »

I know they ask if you have ever been committed for psychiatric evaluation, but that is a long way from asking if you have ever been prescribed certain medications.

I would just answer all questions honestly. If they need more information, they'll ask.

Timmy Jimmy

No it is not true

Post by Timmy Jimmy »

They do not ask if you are taking anti depressants
Timmy Jimmy
If it is not in the US Constitution then the Federal Government should not be doing it.

"Carrying a gun is a social responsibility."

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Welcome aboard Timmy. Glad to have you on the board.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Witness P

Post by Witness P »

I know that this is supposed to be a serious question, but I'd bet money that more than half of CHL holders have used anti-deppressants at one time or another and I would also bet money that around a 1/3rd if not more currently use anti-depressants while having a CHL. Taking wellbutirin or effexor doesn't mean your a pyscho.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Witness P wrote:I know that this is supposed to be a serious question, but I'd bet money that more than half of CHL holders have used anti-deppressants at one time or another and I would also bet money that around a 1/3rd if not more currently use anti-depressants while having a CHL. Taking wellbutirin or effexor doesn't mean your a pyscho.
Wouldn't these drugs be concidered "mind altering"? What sort of psycological diagnosis would cause denial of a CHL? Is being a little bit crazy OK? When does it becomes anyones bussiness? I thought medical records are private. Is There any way that a CHL investigation should be able to pull up this information? If I feel depressed should I be afraid that I could get my CHL pulled should I seek treatment?

THere must be someone at DPS who makes decisions, I wonder how qualified they are.

Witness P

Post by Witness P »

There is no worry as long as you are not checked into a mental health center for treatment by either your own hand or by someonelse's. A number of people right now on this site right now take anti-depressants (Never to be Admitted) and there just regular people not "Nuts" or anything, their most people are depressed there for they take anti-depressants, it;s not like there blood thristy pyscho's and take anti-bloodlust medicine. Kind of funny,,sorry :twisted:

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Horse's mouth
GC §411.172.
(e) The following constitutes evidence that a person has a psychiatric
disorder or condition described by Subsection (d)(1):
(1) involuntary psychiatric hospitalization in the preceding
five-year period;
(2) psychiatric hospitalization in the preceding two-year period;
(3) inpatient or residential substance abuse treatment in the
preceding five-year period;
(4) diagnosis in the preceding five-year period by a licensed
physician that the person is dependent on alcohol, a controlled
substance, or a similar substance; or
(5) diagnosis at any time by a licensed physician that the person
suffers or has suffered from a psychiatric disorder or condition
consisting of or relating to:
(A) schizophrenia or delusional disorder;
(B) bipolar disorder;
(C) chronic dementia, whether caused by illness, brain defect,
or brain injury;
(D) dissociative identity disorder;
(E) intermittent explosive disorder; or
(F) antisocial personality disorder.
In layman's terms: chronic drunk, junkie, or nuts.

If your medical treatment is paid for by insurance, or you get a prescription, it's in a database somewhere. In some situations, you are asked to sign a release, and whoever has it can get that information. Law enforcement can also get it with a subpoena or warrant (I'm not sure about the legal details).

- Jim

revjen45

Post by revjen45 »

Note that anti depressants are prescribed for reasons other than depression. They are often used for pain control, particularly chronic pain and usually in conjunction with various analgesics. Chronic pain is not a mental disorder. If it were I would be crazy, but thank God my chronic pain condition is amenable to treatment with analgesics.
Better to perish in struggle for freedom than live to see defeat.

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

seamusTX wrote:In layman's terms: chronic drunk, junkie, or nuts.

- Jim
The way I read it "Diagnosed" drunk, junkie, or looney.

That means most of us are still ok.

barres

Post by barres »

KRM45 wrote:That means most of us are still ok.
At least as far as getting our CHL is concerned! :grin:
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 3

Post by stevie_d_64 »

If you want to look at this from a different standpoint...

I believe there is a difference in the way a "depression" manifests itself in a person...

It can be either mentally or physically, or a combination...

You may not feel (for lack of a better explanation) a "whoa is me, I am so sad" mental depression...But how that is determined to effect you physically may not be perceived unless diagnosed by a doctor, obviously...

I have always felt that the states main concern, is basically, if you have ever been committed to a treatment program because you were determined by a doctor to need a supervised/structured/monitored treatment program...For whatever reason...Thats what they want to know, and will determine regardless if you disclose that information or not during the investigation of your application...

If a doctor prescribes you a drug to treat something that doesn't require admittance to a facility to monitor you...Then I do not think that is a constraint to dis-qualify you for a Texas CHL...

But as with everything, I know that if I were prescribed something which I felt (or was told would) reduced my ability to stay "sharp"...I would not carry until I was off that program...

Just don't take away my chainsaw! I need that! It kinda calms me down... ;-)
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

stevie_d_64 wrote: Just don't take away my chainsaw! I need that! It kinda calms me down... ;-)
That's the way I feel about the smell of burning gunpowder - it kind of calms me down, particularly WW231. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

killerquad

Post by killerquad »

KRM45 wrote:
seamusTX wrote:In layman's terms: chronic drunk, junkie, or nuts.

- Jim
The way I read it "Diagnosed" drunk, junkie, or looney.

That means most of us are still ok.
Man....I started getting worried there for a second. Hope fully one of the voices in your head is so brilliant that you never get ummm.......caught.
:twisted:
"The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

kw5kw

Post by kw5kw »

Witness P wrote:I know that this is supposed to be a serious question, but I'd bet money that more than half of CHL holders have used anti-deppressants at one time or another and I would also bet money that around a 1/3rd if not more currently use anti-depressants while having a CHL. Taking wellbutirin or effexor doesn't mean your a pyscho.
After I had my heart attack I was prescribed welbutirin to help me kick my smoking habit.

I was not / have never been diagnosed with any depression but have had the drug to help kick the nicotine.

Russ
Russ
kw5kw

Retired DPS Communications Operator PCO III January 2014.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”