Opinions on Pocket Guns (aka fake guns...)

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
gtrman66
Posts in topic: 9

Opinions on Pocket Guns (aka fake guns...)

Post by gtrman66 »

My application is being processed. I do not own a gun. I've shot maybe a dozen times since M-16/M-203/M-60 days 20 years ago.

I've searched the forum, but cannot really find an apples to apples comparison in one thread. I've seen some of these of the "worst gun I ever owned" and also find people who are thrilled with them.

I've looked at a lot of options and held several at various shops.

I am pretty sure that when I decide to carry, my first pistol will be a pocket gun. I'm just not ready for a 1911 or Glock that I have to wear large overshirts to conceal. I'm a pretty big boy already.

I've narrowed it down to 3;
Ruger LCP
Taurus TCP
Kal Tec P3AT

I already know ammo is in short supply, but that seems to be opening up a bit.

Anyone fired all 3 and have opinions +/- about the dependability, carryability, concealability and any other abilities? I plan to carry in my front left pocket of dockers or jeans. I am curious if I sould avoid one due to being a lefty shooter.

Is there one I am missing? My budget is in the ballpark of $300 and these seem to pop up on the classifieds here fairly regularly.

On a side note, I am waiting for the Heritage 22 to go on sale again for $99 at Academy for my 13 year old daughter who has expressed a real interest in shooting. She fell in love with my dad's ancient S&W 22 revolver on New Year's Day. If there is anything I should know about on them, PM me so as to keep this thread on target.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent
2/4/10 Delivery Confirmation
2/18/10 Pin Received "Processing Application"
3/4/10 Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
3/13/10 Plastic in Hand!!!

USA1
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Opinions on Pocket Guns (aka fake guns...)

Post by USA1 »

gtrman66 wrote: I've narrowed it down to 3;
Ruger LCP
Taurus TCP
Kal Tec P3AT
Ruger LCP
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Topic author
gtrman66

Post by gtrman66 »

Thanks, but have you shot all 3? Is it lefty friendly? Does it jam with certain ammo?
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent

Mastodon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mastodon »

I haven't fired any of them.

Though my primary is a 9mm..
My "pocket" carry gun is a S&W 442.

Lots of folks certainly have acquired a Ruger LCP.

Hang out for awhile here, you'll get some educated opinions on this.
Chartered By The Republic of Texas in 1845

NRA
TSRA

Μολών Λαβέ

USA1

Post by USA1 »

gtrman66 wrote:Thanks, but have you shot all 3? Is it lefty friendly? Does it jam with certain ammo?
I have only shot the LCP..a lot.

All 3 are about the same size and roughly the same cost.
But I think most will agree that when it comes to reliability, fit, and finish, the winner would be..Ruger LCP

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

gtrman66, I think you'll be hard pressed to find one person that has shot all 3. Probably your best course of action would be go to a gun range and rent all 3 guns and try them out yourself.

I know for certain that Winchester Gallery in Ft.Worth has the LCP & the P3AT that you can rent and try out because I saw them there 2 weeks ago. Not sure about the Taurus one.

Trying a gun out before you buy it, is like test driving a car. By doing so you assure yourself of getting a gun that meets your expectations and you won't be disappointed. :thumbs2:

My $0.02 worth
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

PeteCamp

Post by PeteCamp »

If I were choosing from your selections, I would get the LCP. Next would be the Kel-Tec.

However, you will have trouble getting ammo for it. If it is your only carry gun, you need to practice with it very regularly. None of the small .380's lend themselves to quality practice time-especially if you have limited ammo available ($31/50 rounds in my town). And then there is the conundrum about which ammo to use for SD. .380 hollow points don't penetrate well and FMJ doesn't expand. I would guess there is no consensus and it is probably 50/50 between JHP's and FMJ's for carry. There is little real world shooting data for the .380 and what there is is mostly useless.

I would recommend a small 9mm to begin with. Much cheaper ammo. Simple selection of carry ammo - and much more effective. Easier to hold onto and just a little bit harder to conceal. Glock 19 or 26, PF-9, Ruger SR9C, SIG's, there are lots of excellent choices out there. My LCP does backup duty 95% of the time. When I carry it as primary, it is only on very hot days when I cannot conceal anything else. My thoughts anyway.

G.A. Heath
Posts in topic: 1

Post by G.A. Heath »

I have shot the LCP and the Kel-Tec. The LCP has a better fit and finish than the Kel-Tec, and is in my opinion the better gun. As for the TCP, I haven't even managed to hold one yet. When it comes to dedicated backup guns I own a Ruger LCP, Smith & Wesson 442 revolver, and a Ruger LCR. The one I find myself carrying the most is the LCR (Every double action only handgun should copy this ones trigger).
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

USA1

Post by USA1 »

G.A. Heath wrote: As for the TCP, I haven't even managed to hold one yet.
I've held one and it feels very nice in the hand.
Fit and finish is good. There's just not enough data on reliability yet.

PeteCamp

Post by PeteCamp »

The one I find myself carrying the most is the LCR (Every double action only handgun should copy this ones trigger).
Agreed ... But I gave it to my wife for Christmas and she won't let me touch it. :nono:

Topic author
gtrman66

Post by gtrman66 »

gunblast.com has reviewed all three, but not side by side. Reading between the lines, he seems to favor the LCP. It's the best looking one of the bunch, but looks aren't everything.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

As the topic is Pocket guns, I thought I'd post this link for your reading. It's a good article on self-defense, and the use of the lowly .380 in the use of that self-defense. It is a recount of an actual event.

It is presented by Massad Ayoob, who borders on legendary status when it comes to self-defense tactics, training and firearms.

In no way do I consider a .380 a fake gun. There are more powerful calibers out there to be sure, but do not discount the caliber to be ineffective.

Please give this a good read, and consideration. It's worth it:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _61861505/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
gtrman66

Post by gtrman66 »

Great article, thanks for posting. I say "fake guns" tounge in cheek. A 22 in the right hands can still stop someone when needed. I think the shock value of "you shot me" has a lot to do with taking control of the situation. Unfortunately in her case, it took one more shot.
1/9/10 CHL Class
2/2/10 Packet Sent

Mastodon
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Mastodon »

joe817 wrote:As the topic is Pocket guns, I thought I'd post this link for your reading. It's a good article on self-defense, and the use of the lowly .380 in the use of that self-defense. It is a recount of an actual event.

It is presented by Massad Ayoob, who borders on legendary status when it comes to self-defense tactics, training and firearms.

In no way do I consider a .380 a fake gun. There are more powerful calibers out there to be sure, but do not discount the caliber to be ineffective.

Please give this a good read, and consideration. It's worth it:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _61861505/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good article. Thanks.
Chartered By The Republic of Texas in 1845

NRA
TSRA

Μολών Λαβέ

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

All 3 will get the job done and make for decent "get off me guns." The Kel Tec's plastic is rougher and needs to be filed at seams to not cut into you when firing. It goes bang every time and is cheapest of the 3. Recoil is nasty but not unmanageable, but you don't want to shoot more than a few mags at a time. LCP is a lot better fit, so rough seams, already fluffed and buffed (which is what most do to the KT's right off). The LCP has a manual slide lock (you have to push it on, but will hold the slide open). Has an internal extractor rather than KT's external. The TCP is the best of the bunch. Recoil not as sharp as either, and has a an automatic slide lock. TCP comes with a neat belt pouch for hidden in the open carry. All 3 will eat about anything, never had FTF nor FTE after break-in. With the TCP being a tad cheaper, I believe you get more bang for your buck with it. you can find them on gunsamerica for $270 even though I can't find any on local shelves.

For a review of the pocket "mouseguns" check out http://mouseguns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Put a Hogue Handall jr grip on any of the 3, and it feels like another gun. Tip: Put the grip on UPSIDE down and it will fit better.
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”