Safety On or Off?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
samobius
Posts in topic: 2

Safety On or Off?

Post by samobius »

This discussion http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=31828 got me to thinking about safety on/off. I noticed the OP mentioned having the safety on.

When I first got my CHL I kept the chamber empty and safety on.
Then I started keeping one in the pipe safety on
Now I have one in the pipe and safety off.

My thinking is, in certain situations, you may not have time to worry about racking the slide or clicking off the safety.

What does everyone else do?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Safety On or Off?

Post by WildBill »

samobius wrote:This discussion http://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=31828 got me to thinking about safety on/off. I noticed the OP mentioned having the safety on.

When I first got my CHL I kept the chamber empty and safety on.
Then I started keeping one in the pipe safety on
Now I have one in the pipe and safety off.

My thinking is, in certain situations, you may not have time to worry about racking the slide or clicking off the safety.

What does everyone else do?
The OP was carrying a 1911. What do you carry?
NRA Endowment Member

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

I carry my 1911's cocked and locked. It took some getting used to but after awhile it feels comfortable.
CHL since 01/26/09

Topic author
samobius

Post by samobius »

I carry a Bersa 380. I'm guessing that the 1911 can be cocked and safety on?
The Bersa's safety is a decocker/safety so that's not an option for me. My PX4 has the same operation so that's what I'm used to.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

What safety? None of the handguns I use for work (primary or BUG) have a safety that needs disengaging (Glock and a Khar).

On my Rifle I click the safety off when I come up on target, and click it on when I come back to low ready.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

samobius wrote:I carry a Bersa 380. I'm guessing that the 1911 can be cocked and safety on?
The Bersa's safety is a decocker/safety so that's not an option for me. My PX4 has the same operation so that's what I'm used to.
I like that style more if you're going to have one in the chamber.

karl

Post by karl »

I carry my 1911 cocked, locked, safety on. For me it's one fluid motion to draw and disengage the safety with my thumb.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

cougartex

Post by cougartex »

I carry a Beretta Cougar with one in the chamber, safety on. :txflag:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

southboundp

Post by southboundp »

Taurus 24/7 one in the pipe, safety on. Easy thumb motion to flick it off. Glock, one in the pipe, ready to go.
Glock 27 .40 cal.
Taurus 24/7 Pro C 9mm
DMPS Panther Lite 16" 5.56 AR

Blinking Dog

Post by Blinking Dog »

I carry my 1911 as I believe it was intended, one in chamber, hammer cocked and thumb safety on. It is quite easy to train yourself to use the thumb safety so I recommend to anyone carrying a 1911 to do so. If nothing else, clicking that safety off can prompt your shoot/no-shoot decision. I tend to think using the safety mechanisms your gun was designed with is a smart and prudent thing to do. If folks don't like thumb safeties, choose a gun without one (like a Glock).

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

Blinking Dog wrote:I carry my 1911 as I believe it was intended, one in chamber, hammer cocked and thumb safety on. It is quite easy to train yourself to use the thumb safety so I recommend to anyone carrying a 1911 to do so. If nothing else, clicking that safety off can prompt your shoot/no-shoot decision. I tend to think using the safety mechanisms your gun was designed with is a smart and prudent thing to do. If folks don't like thumb safeties, choose a gun without one (like a Glock).

I agree. It is very easy to disengage a 1911 safety. Its placement is perfectly aligned to your thumb. If you have one I think you should use it and train yourself to use your gun as it was designed.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Springfield XD40 SC..one in the pipe, no safety...Just point and shoot.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

martywj

Post by martywj »

Carry my Taurus PT140 with one in the chamber safety on. The PT140 is striker fired. My S&W 908 is hammer fired carried decocked, safety off, and 1 in the pipe. First trigger pull is DA, all SA after that. I practice with both these guns at the range like that. When my S&W 36 3" wheelie make it into the rotation it will be carried with 5 in the cylinder and hammer sitting on live round.
Marty

If I have to explain, you won't understand.

CrimsonSoul

Post by CrimsonSoul »

I carry my Taurus 24/7 one in the pipe, safety off and decocked (first trigger pull is DA all others is SA)
Approved 07/17/09
In hand 07/17/09

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Minor diversion but I think it's related - for you DA/SA people - do you decock before holstering?

Most of the classes I've been to teach the officer to decock when they go from the high ready/on target position to the low ready/sul position as they index their finger.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”