It's In! LMT CQB MRB Piston AR

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 9

It's In! LMT CQB MRB Piston AR

Post by gigag04 »

The pics are junk because they are from my iPhone but it will hopefully hold y'all over. Months ago when I first ordered this rifle many of you were curious so I will post pics and a range report (soon). I'll steal our dSLR back from the lady this weekend and give it proper treatment. It was supposed to come in April but LMT shipped early.

Those two torx heads are how to change the barrel. Couldn't be much easier. And they include the stinking wrench and driver to do it.

Out of the box it came with the Sompod Buttstock with the battery tubes, LMT BUIS, a 30rd mag, a (sorry) sling, a torque wrench and adapter to change out barrels, and the textured grip rail covers (3 of them). The upper rec. and the free float rails are all machined from the same block and are one piece - monolithic is what they call this - a la Colt LE6940. Same deal.

Also it is the piston driven as opposed to the tradition DI AR platform. In the weeks to come I will add an Aimpoint Comp ML3, a one point sling, a broom handle and a tac light...not sure which one yet. This weapon will go on patrol with me, so any necessary doo dads you guys think I should add I'll listen.

Again, range report and good photos coming soon. The price on the website seems high, one of my locals got it to me for $1800.

Manuf. Website: http://www.lewismachine.net/product.php?p=188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

RECIT
Posts in topic: 2

Re: It's In! LMT CQB MRB Piston AR

Post by RECIT »

Beautiful...the only word I can think of. I think the aimpoint, sling and tac-light are all great add-ons especially if you will be working with it. Maybe an ergo grip or the magpul grip would be a nice addition.
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

It has the Ergo Grips!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Look at LaserMax site they have a very small laser that works well. Mounted one on mine on bottom rail and then mounted taclight under it as the laser has built in rail for this. Then mounted vertical grip behind laser and taclight. Have fun with the new toy. Very nice rig you have there.

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Sidro wrote:Look at LaserMax site they have a very small laser that works well. Mounted one on mine on bottom rail and then mounted taclight under it as the laser has built in rail for this. Then mounted vertical grip behind laser and taclight. Have fun with the new toy. Very nice rig you have there.
Lasers aren't authorized on rifles we'll use for duty but I like this setup you mentioned. I'm not sure about the tactics of lasers on tactical rifles but that is a whole other discussion. My refund hits this week so I should have optics and a light soon.

I'm thinking of going with mostly Larue parts for it. While their forward grip is almost $100, I like it. Also looking at an Aimpoint ML3 mounted on their base and a surefire light (probably a G2 nitrolon) in a Larue mount. I like streamlight and use them for all of my on duty lights because they are rechargeable, but I don't think a rail mounted rechargeable light makes alot of sense. I really "need" a better rifle bag too. I have one, but of course I want a "better" one....

And if my CPA tells me correctly most of this should be deductible as it is primarily for work. :clapping:

jcarouth
Posts in topic: 1

Post by jcarouth »

Looks great. Added to my "to evaluate" list.
05/17/2009: CHL Course Completed
05/19/2009: Application Mailed (Certified and RRR)
05/26/2009: Application Received by DPS (One week to travel 105 miles? :grumble )
06/01/2009: Check cashed by DPS
11/17/2009: Plastic Received

Sidro

Post by Sidro »

Mine is not a duty rig so only for play. Light and laser work real well at night around hay bales and lots for whacking hogs when you can't see the iron sights or Eotech. Set laser at roughly 75 yds, just turn light and laser on and when you see it on a hog let fly. Surefire Defender light with extra batteries for it and laser in vertical grip handle.

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Sidro wrote:Mine is not a duty rig so only for play. Light and laser work real well at night around hay bales and lots for whacking hogs when you can't see the iron sights or Eotech. Set laser at roughly 75 yds, just turn light and laser on and when you see it on a hog let fly. Surefire Defender light with extra batteries for it and laser in vertical grip handle.
One of these may be in order: http://www.surefire.com/FA556SA-Suppressor" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RECIT

Post by RECIT »

I have a many items from LaRue and I'm impressed with the quality. Some of the testing they put their products through is insane. But If I were using a rifle for work and not play all my add-ons would be in LaRue mounts no questions asked. And they are is Te :txflag: xas
"I am a Free Man, regardless of what set of 'rules' surround me. When I find them tolerable, I tolerate them. When I find them obnoxious, I ignore them. I remain free, because I know and understand that I alone bear full responsibility for everything I do, or chose not to do."

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

RECIT wrote:I have a many items from LaRue and I'm impressed with the quality. Some of the testing they put their products through is insane. But If I were using a rifle for work and not play all my add-ons would be in LaRue mounts no questions asked. And they are is Te :txflag: xas
Agreed. And they support warriors in their endeavors. Having a dad that was SF this is of huge value to me.

Skydivesnake

Post by Skydivesnake »

gigag04 wrote:
Sidro wrote:Look at LaserMax site they have a very small laser that works well. Mounted one on mine on bottom rail and then mounted taclight under it as the laser has built in rail for this. Then mounted vertical grip behind laser and taclight. Have fun with the new toy. Very nice rig you have there.
Lasers aren't authorized on rifles we'll use for duty but I like this setup you mentioned. I'm not sure about the tactics of lasers on tactical rifles but that is a whole other discussion. My refund hits this week so I should have optics and a light soon.

I'm thinking of going with mostly Larue parts for it. While their forward grip is almost $100, I like it. Also looking at an Aimpoint ML3 mounted on their base and a surefire light (probably a G2 nitrolon) in a Larue mount. I like streamlight and use them for all of my on duty lights because they are rechargeable, but I don't think a rail mounted rechargeable light makes alot of sense. I really "need" a better rifle bag too. I have one, but of course I want a "better" one....

And if my CPA tells me correctly most of this should be deductible as it is primarily for work. :clapping:
+1 on LaRue - once I splurged on a SPR-E I was so impressed I slowly swapped out the rest of the cheap 'junk' on my AR15 and LR308 for LaRue parts. On the rifle case, lapolicegear.com still have some good closeout deals on 5.11 rifle cases, like this one at $49 down from $109;

http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-shotgun ... seout.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that is the 42in but they do a shorter one and also do both lengths as a double case, which I have, and which is excellent.

And nice rifle BTW...

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Tango down grip and a new aimpoint should be in this week.

I'm waiting to get the Larue mount until I get my color scheme figured out. I like the UDE on Larue's site, but I don't want to lose the sopmod stock. Thinking OD green, but I can't find a Laure FUG in ODG.

So...I'm getting black for now, and figure it out later. For you flashlight guys, I'm all streamlight as of late (love rechargeable batteries for work). But I have an opportunity to get a surefire M951 light NIB for $175-$200. Would I be stupid to pass this up?

Also - anyone have a one point sling they want to part with?

JustaPhule

Post by JustaPhule »

Get the light.

I have the 9v model (don't remember the number) good tough light, solid mount, GREAT deal for that price. Depending on how you view weapon lights it is either a pro or a con to get one that is "married" to the rifle... for me it is a pro as i am hard on my toys and the ones that can be "removed for hand-held use" are a pain three feet lower than the neck.

Is that deal avail to general public or just you? If avail to GP please post source.
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

JustaPhule wrote:Get the light.

I have the 9v model (don't remember the number) good tough light, solid mount, GREAT deal for that price. Depending on how you view weapon lights it is either a pro or a con to get one that is "married" to the rifle... for me it is a pro as i am hard on my toys and the ones that can be "removed for hand-held use" are a pain three feet lower than the neck.

Is that deal avail to general public or just you? If avail to GP please post source.
It is a guy I found that has two. If you would like one, PM me and I will get in contact with you. I can't do it for everyone because I have dibs on one :)

As far as the grips, the TD deal fell through so I ordered a new FUG from Larue. I got a Vicker's BFG 2 point sling in. I think I am going to run with this for a while. I had my eye on a magpul MS2 and an ASAP, but the mounts on the MRP are in a great spot and you get a NICE compact 2 point setup. And I'm not in a MOUT rapid combat battlefield so while I like the 1 point setup, I don't think it is ideal for LEO patrol rifle use.

If I need to go hands on, a 2 point setup is easier to get the weapon out of my way securely - as opposed to having a one point banging around....well...there's lots of things there.

Aimpoint on Wed and FUG around then. Light on thursday and we have a duty weapon :) And because I'm a gearhead I'm building up my matching PMAG collection (all w. windows). :evil2:

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Progress.

Larue FUG is on. Should be getting my light (M951) in over the weekend - it got postponed.. Put a TLR-1 on there for now. Comp ML3 is on, but the aimpoint mount it came with is too low. New Larue mount ordered that should set it up for lower 1/3 rd co witness with the iron sights (which soon will be the CSAT sights made by XS systems). Sling is a padded Vicker's 2 point. Still waiting to get a Magpul ASAP to reconfigure the sling setup.

Looking for the new mount by Friday.

Hopefully I can get some quality pics over the weekend to share. Now off to book some schools :anamatedbanana

For anyone interested I am including the current Aimpoint QRP mount with the Aimpoint ML3 I have listed for sale. It is the 4 MOA dot version (I decided on a 2MOA dot). Make me an offer.

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”