Debra Medina

As the name indicates, this is the place for gun-related political discussions. It is not open to other political topics.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Mike from Texas
Posts in topic: 9

Re: Debra Medina

Post by Mike from Texas »

Beck set her up. Before he brought her on, he was espousing all of the wonderful traits of Perry. Then he hardly even gave her a chance to answer legitimate questions. Then after he cut the interview short, and ridiculed her for a while he made mention of him wanting to french kiss Perry. This was a set up all the way. Granted, she didn't handle the question very well, but still I think it was pretty cowardly of Beck to do that to her.

She has since released a blog statement about the interview.
http://www.medinafortexas.com/getPost?p=272

by Debra Medina on Feb 11, 2010
I was asked a question on the Glenn Beck show today regarding my thoughts on the so-called 9/11 truth movement. I have never been involved with the 9/11 truth movement, and there is no doubt in my mind that Muslim terrorists flew planes into those buildings on 9/11. I have not seen any evidence nor have I ever believed that our government was involved or directed those individuals in any way. No one can deny that the events on 9/11 were a tragedy for all Americans and especially those families who lost loved ones.

The question surprised me because it's not relevant to this race or the issues facing Texans. This campaign has always been about private property rights and state sovereignty. It is focused on the issues facing Texans. It is not a vehicle for the 9-11 truth movement or any other group.

The real underlying question here, though, is whether or not people have the right to question our government. I think the fact that people are even asking questions on this level gets to the incredible distrust career politicians have fostered by so clearly taking their direction from special interests instead of the people, whether it's Rick Perry and his HPV mandate or Kay Hutchison and voting for the bank bailout. It is absolutely the right and duty of a free people to question their government. Texas does not need another politician who tells you what you want to hear, then violates your liberties and steals your property anyway. I fully expect to be questioned and to be held accountable as Governor, and that's the underlying issue here: should people be questioning their government. And the answer is yes, they should be.
Call it spin control or whatever you want. I for one am tired of the career politicians that will stop at nothing to stay in office. For once we have a legitimate challenge to the status quo. One slip of the lip or stumble should not take her out of the race.

She has been too honest and forth coming in every interview I have seen and watched her speak at. Why would she blow all of that now?
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

O6nop
Posts in topic: 4

Post by O6nop »

Good post, Mike - that's a meaningful reply. Never being a guest on a talk show, I don't know the pressures and difficulties encountered trying to ask questions, especially loaded ones. And yes, Beck seems seriously in favor of Perry, probably because that's who the NRA is endorsing, and of his stand on states' rights.
I think she deserves more chances, she doesn't have the charisma or the experience of a politician - and that might be a good thing - but she doesn't come off to the regular voter as someone who really knows what she is talking about. Although, she seems very committed to the cause of property rights and gun ownership.
I'm still going to keep her in mind.

I hope she sends that message to Beck to see if he acknowledges it.
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 7

Post by pbwalker »

O6nop wrote:...but she doesn't come off to the regular voter as someone who really knows what she is talking about.
Hey, it's working for Palin! "rlol"
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

No Bama Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by No Bama Man »

I agree with Mike from Texas.

Just sent this to Glen Beck at me@glennbeck.com. Email him and let him know what y'all think.

Note to GB -

I listened to your interview with Medina today and was alarmed at the way you and your crew ganged up on her concerning being a 911 truther. I agree that she ignored the question but I feel she was just trying to use the airtime to assert her positions on the issues since she really needs to get the most out of the opportunity this interview gave her due to the fact she has no $$$ for ads. I really got the feeling you had it in for her before hand and had every intention to discredit her and you and your crew sounded as though you are members of the reelect Perry staffers.

We all talk the talk about voting out the career politicians such as Perry or Hutchison but when the chance presents itself we tend to be very wary of the newcomer because we don’t know much about them but we will always know more about the incumbent than the newcomer. It’s time to walk the walk and vote for Medina. I like her message and don’t believe she is a truther and is definitely not a career politician. Not yet, anyway.

Here is her explanation she posted on her blog today.

http://www.medinafortexas.com/getPost?p=272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Debra Medina on Feb 11, 2010
I was asked a question on the Glenn Beck show today regarding my thoughts on the so-called 9/11 truth movement. I have never been involved with the 9/11 truth movement, and there is no doubt in my mind that Muslim terrorists flew planes into those buildings on 9/11. I have not seen any evidence nor have I ever believed that our government was involved or directed those individuals in any way. No one can deny that the events on 9/11 were a tragedy for all Americans and especially those families who lost loved ones.

The question surprised me because it's not relevant to this race or the issues facing Texans. This campaign has always been about private property rights and state sovereignty. It is focused on the issues facing Texans. It is not a vehicle for the 9-11 truth movement or any other group.

The real underlying question here, though, is whether or not people have the right to question our government. I think the fact that people are even asking questions on this level gets to the incredible distrust career politicians have fostered by so clearly taking their direction from special interests instead of the people, whether it's Rick Perry and his HPV mandate or Kay Hutchison and voting for the bank bailout. It is absolutely the right and duty of a free people to question their government. Texas does not need another politician who tells you what you want to hear, then violates your liberties and steals your property anyway. I fully expect to be questioned and to be held accountable as Governor, and that's the underlying issue here: should people be questioning their government. And the answer is yes, they should be.

Listen to you religiously and completely agree with you on 99.9% of things but you were way off on this one.

Dean

La Porte, TX
"It's a free country if you do what you're told"
ENOUGH TAX & GOVERNMENT

NRA Life Member
02/16/09 - Chl class
02/26/09 - Received by dps
03/20/09 - Received pin
04/20/09 - Had to sign fingerprint cards and return
08/14/09 - Application complete
08/19/09 - Plastic in Hand

Topic author
Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Dragonfighter »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:The reality of the situation is this - one of the following three people will be Governor of Texas until 2014; take your pick:

Rick Perry TSRA Rated: A+ (NRA/TSRA Endorsed)
Bill White TSRA Rated: B (proven anti-gun history)
Farouk Shami TSRA Rated: ?

Chas.
<RANT>

The reality? That is exactly the attitude that has us where we are, choosing between the lesser of two evils and furthering the power hungry machine; same song different verse. Perry is strong in CHL though he doesn't seem to want to change the climate making CHL an additional option but allowing the rest of us subjects to carry as well. The requirement of a CHL IS an infringement.

So by all means, let's not waste our votes in the primary. Let's not run the risk of letting the "more evil" ones have a chance. Let's all bet on the favorite and ensure four more years of imminent domain abuses, foreign levy's through toll roads and favored status to the pharmaceutical contributors foisting more and more dangerous medical practices on us in mandates...oh geez.

Hey, we'll still have our $150.00 privilege of CHL though.

</RANT>

Added in Edit: I'm so torqued right now I had to edit twice for typos :roll:

BTW, notice I haven't posted Hutchison's or the Governor's response? Because they haven't bothered to provide one.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

No Bama Man

Post by No Bama Man »

Does everyone remember Perry mandating that HPC Vaccine. Im not a doctor so I dont know if this would be a good thing or not but just the sheer arrogance on his part to think he can mandate anything on the masses is a clear sign his time is up. Very similair to the cramming of healtcare down our throats of Obama. It triggers a strong gag reflex.

I dont care what they are cramming, whether it is good for us or not, even if it tastes good, if we dont want it we wont stand for it.

we are the police of the elected...its time to take action.

Thanks, I'm finished for now.
"It's a free country if you do what you're told"
ENOUGH TAX & GOVERNMENT

NRA Life Member
02/16/09 - Chl class
02/26/09 - Received by dps
03/20/09 - Received pin
04/20/09 - Had to sign fingerprint cards and return
08/14/09 - Application complete
08/19/09 - Plastic in Hand

O6nop
Posts in topic: 4

Post by O6nop »

Dragonfighter wrote:Perry is strong in CHL though he doesn't seem to want to change the climate making CHL an additional option but allowing the rest of us subjects to carry as well. The requirement of a CHL IS an infringement.
I see the CHL as a step in the process to at least being armed for personal safety. But it's become a pacifier for the real cause, that of which Dragonfighter speaks. The "baby steps" we are taking are understandable, but we can't lose sight of our goal to be armed without having to bow to government to do it. With all the work our legislature and gun rights organizations have done just to get concealed carry where it is today, would someone like Medina embarass them all if she could get true gun rights legislation accomplished or at least in process? After all, she's not even a politician!
I believe there is safety in numbers..
numbers like: 9, .22, .38, .357, .45, .223, 5.56, 7.62, 6.5, .30-06...

Topic author
Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Dragonfighter »

O6nop wrote:
Dragonfighter wrote:Perry is strong in CHL though he doesn't seem to want to change the climate making CHL an additional option but allowing the rest of us subjects to carry as well. The requirement of a CHL IS an infringement.
I see the CHL as a step in the process to at least being armed for personal safety. But it's become a pacifier for the real cause, that of which Dragonfighter speaks. The "baby steps" we are taking are understandable, but we can't lose sight of our goal to be armed without having to bow to government to do it. With all the work our legislature and gun rights organizations have done just to get concealed carry where it is today, would someone like Medina embarass them all if she could get true gun rights legislation accomplished or at least in process? After all, she's not even a politician!
Well put. If she is elected it will be by shear will of the people and despite the political machine. Any move she made towards that would have the population that put her there to effect the (forgive me) "change" rallying in force.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

pbwalker
Posts in topic: 7

Post by pbwalker »

Dragonfighter wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:The reality of the situation is this - one of the following three people will be Governor of Texas until 2014; take your pick:

Rick Perry TSRA Rated: A+ (NRA/TSRA Endorsed)
Bill White TSRA Rated: B (proven anti-gun history)
Farouk Shami TSRA Rated: ?

Chas.
<RANT>

The reality? That is exactly the attitude that has us where we are, choosing between the lesser of two evils and furthering the power hungry machine; same song different verse. Perry is strong in CHL though he doesn't seem to want to change the climate making CHL an additional option but allowing the rest of us subjects to carry as well. The requirement of a CHL IS an infringement.

So by all means, let's not waste our votes in the primary. Let's not run the risk of letting the "more evil" ones have a chance. Let's all bet on the favorite and ensure four more years of imminent domain abuses, foreign levy's through toll roads and favored status to the pharmaceutical contributors foisting more and more dangerous medical practices on us in mandates...oh geez.

Hey, we'll still have our $150.00 privilege of CHL though.

</RANT>

Added in Edit: I'm so torqued right now I had to edit twice for typos :roll:

BTW, notice I haven't posted Hutchison's or the Governor's response? Because they haven't bothered to provide one.
:iagree:
*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

GrayGhost
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GrayGhost »

At this point, I have many more reservations about RP and KBH. I could vote for either in the general election, but I must vote for Medina in the primary. The polls show this race close enough that it could happen. But even if it couldn't, a message should be sent to the others that they can lose office if they don't watch out for Texas' best interests!

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

Mike from Texas wrote:Beck set her up. Before he brought her on, he was espousing all of the wonderful traits of Perry. Then he hardly even gave her a chance to answer legitimate questions. Then after he cut the interview short, and ridiculed her for a while he made mention of him wanting to french kiss Perry. This was a set up all the way. Granted, she didn't handle the question very well, but still I think it was pretty cowardly of Beck to do that to her.
Which I just don't get. Maybe it is his (self-proclaimed) ADD, but I would think he'd be pro-Medina, just like he was pro-Palin. Both are outside the mainstream, people fighting against the system, but one gets the :thumbs2: while the other is :fire

Of course, the only part of the interview that's being played anywhere is the 9/11 question - none of the good stuff she said before that. Maybe I just need to avoid the talking heads and blogosphere for a few days.

I just can't, in good conscience, vote for KBH or Gov. 39% in the primary. Endorsements notwithstanding.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Mando'a

Post by Mando'a »

WOW!!

Absolutely loved what she said about getting rid of property taxes.

I think she just earned my vote.
took chl renewal course 11/7/09
sent in paperwork 11/12/09
received new chl 12/09/09

NRA member
Glock 22
Bushmaster Texas Carbine (XM15-E2S)

bizarrenormality

Post by bizarrenormality »

Beck sealed the deal. I'm voting early and I'm voting for Medina.

couzin

Post by couzin »

Mando'a wrote:WOW!! Absolutely loved what she said about getting rid of property taxes. I think she just earned my vote.
Keep in mind (if Ms. Medina could even get the laws changed) that the way she intends to collect that revenue is to raise sales tax to at least 8.8 (bet it would be higher). A modest $100,000.00 house will cost the buyer an additional $9,000.00 (cash) at purchase. Then you will lose the deduction of your property taxes from your Federal income. She says she would tax a lot of items and businesses that are not currently taxed in Texas in order to raise the deficit amounts.

I (personally) like the Texas CHL licensing system and am comfortable with it. There are some that just do not need to be carrying a weapon. I really do not like the open carry idea - no matter who is proposing it.

It is like choosing lesser evils anymore - but at least Perry hasn't been caught jetting off to Argentina to hook up with a squeeze...
“Only at the end do you realize the power of the Dark Side.”

Mike from Texas
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Mike from Texas »

couzin wrote:
Mando'a wrote:WOW!! Absolutely loved what she said about getting rid of property taxes. I think she just earned my vote.
Keep in mind (if Ms. Medina could even get the laws changed) that the way she intends to collect that revenue is to raise sales tax to at least 8.8 (bet it would be higher). A modest $100,000.00 house will cost the buyer an additional $9,000.00 (cash) at purchase. Then you will lose the deduction of your property taxes from your Federal income. She says she would tax a lot of items and businesses that are not currently taxed in Texas in order to raise the deficit amounts.

I (personally) like the Texas CHL licensing system and am comfortable with it. There are some that just do not need to be carrying a weapon. I really do not like the open carry idea - no matter who is proposing it.

It is like choosing lesser evils anymore - but at least Perry hasn't been caught jetting off to Argentina to hook up with a squeeze...
I see you live in Keller. I would imagine your property taxes are on the high side. I know in Arlington I pay $3700 per year. So in less than 3 years you have paid for that $9k in your scenario. And the best thing of all is you actually own your property. If you think you currently own your property, just try not paying your property taxes and see how much you actually own. The property tax deduction on your fed taxes are modest at best.

I still believe the current CHL process is too expensive and too restrictive.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

Return to “Gun and/or Self-Defense Related Political Issues”