Is Concealed and Secret the Same

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Is Concealed and Secret the Same

Post by Oldgringo »

There are many posts where fellow CHL's have expressed angst at being outed for having a CHL. Why don't I care if people know that I have a CHL? What they don't know is whether I'm carryin' at the moment or not. Granted, we live in a somewhat rural and thereby assumed to be less (?) dangerous area. We frequently break bread with the Sherrif, Police Chief and County Judge, they all know that I'm probably carrying and it's not a big deal.

In summary, I think people should know that I MAY be armed and dangerous. I'm not interested in wearing a badge or a sash :mrgreen: but I don't see the need for secrecy. Concealed is concealed but concealed is not automatically secret.

Somebody help me...please.

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Is Concealed and Secret the Same

Post by joe817 »

Really not to sure I know where you're coming from O.G. I don't advertise the fact I have a CHL, but if someone asks I'll tell them the truth. And THEN I'll try to talk them into taking a class. "rlol" After all, it is a benefit.....the law says it is. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Topic author
Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Oldgringo »

joe817 wrote:Really not to sure I know where you're coming from O.G. I don't advertise the fact I have a CHL, but if someone asks I'll tell them the truth. And THEN I'll try to talk them into taking a class. "rlol" After all, it is a benefit.....the law says it is. ;-)
Exactly!

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPB »

joe817 wrote:Really not to sure I know where you're coming from O.G. I don't advertise the fact I have a CHL, but if someone asks I'll tell them the truth. And THEN I'll try to talk them into taking a class. "rlol" After all, it is a benefit.....the law says it is. ;-)
All my family and freinds know. It actually reminds me to carry 100% of the time that I can. SINCE, they know, they EXPECT that I am armed... They are depending on me if anything occurs.
Except those who are "freinds with benefits" themselves. :lol:: ... And, even they may be depending on me if they aren't armed any particular day/time.

I don't openly advertise that I am armed nor that I even own a gun, or a $3,000 Stereo, or $20,000 in video equipment, etc etc etc to anyone I don't know, but I wouldn't throw tarps over everything and hide it all when freinds or family visit. (If I did own any of that stuff)
Last edited by RPB on Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

blackrubi
Posts in topic: 1

Post by blackrubi »

IMHO - concealed and secret are not the same. I don't advertise, nor discuss without prompt. I don't even put cool stickers on my truck (although I've really been on the fence about that one as to whether it could deter driveway theft (has happened a few times in the neighborhood as of late) - but I suppose that constitutes another thread...).

I do believe that the First Amendment is as important as the Second - and to that end, a healthy discussion/awareness promotes a healthier/safer society.

Your LEO friends know and appreciate you and good citizenry. :patriot:

m

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

I agree with the all of the above. I don’t feel the need to hide it nor do I feel the need to exploit it. My family and neighbors know I carry. As stated above if someone asks I will tell them and if they are hostile to carrying I will try to convince them otherwise. I think it’s all a matter of personal opinion. Some feel better hiding the fact they carry a gun others don’t mind it if others know. There is no right or wrong.

:patriot:

7075-T7

Post by 7075-T7 »

For immediate family, I've told them to keep it quiet (especially the in-laws since my MIL is a loud mouth, and doesn't like guns). I know that they trust me with a pistol so it's not a problem. The problem I see is the people who don't know me, and don't trust me with a weapon. The only reason someone would be hesitent would be if they "don't like the idea of guns" or they think you're crazy and shouldn't own one.

Shakespeare, in Henry IV
'The better part of valour is discretion; in the which better part I have saved my life.'

threoh8
Posts in topic: 2

Post by threoh8 »

It's generally a good idea to keep the low-life guessing ... even if they're family. ;-)

I can hear it now:
"I thought YOU brought the gun!"
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

I'll chime in on this, for what it's worth.

My family and friends all know I'm armed 100% of the time. Some appreciate it, some are amazed by it (i.e. How *did you hide that thing*), and the rest don't care either way. My mother obviously has no issues with it (she carries too). My In-laws, well, they're more-or-less on the fence. They know I carry, and I know they don't like guns, so we just don't discuss it.

On a personal level, out and about, I don't care who knows that I have a CHL any more than I care who knows I have a Driver's License. And I don't worry about who "knows" I'm carrying a gun either; frankly, as long as it's covered and concealed (best-effort, I think almost anyone has had an "OOPS" moment where the gun may have printed/flashed.)

For those "Printing" issues, well, just remember, I'm authorized to carry this gun. You only got the idea I *Might* be carrying cuz you saw something poke out of my side when I bent over funny. Guess & get over it.

That's the personal side of the story. Now for work...I don't want *anyone* knowing I have a CHL, nor whether I'm carrying a gun. If I only know you as a co-worker, I don't want you to know. If I know you as a personal friend (i.e. we go to lunch regularly and occasionally get together outside the work environment) then things are different.

I guess what it boils down to is that people I'm close to, I don't care. Random strangers, I don't care. I don't want people I don't know very well, yet have to deal with daily, to know.

Wow...another of my novels. Sorry about that.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

Carry concealed.
Keep quiet about it.
Stay alert.
Smile.
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

shortysboy09

Post by shortysboy09 »

Dan20703 wrote:Carry concealed.
Keep quiet about it.
Stay alert.
Smile.
My moto as well. Just a privacy thing for me. I do not like my friends asking me:

Ya got it with you?
Where's it at?
Can I see it?

It just avoids headaches for me therefore I keep it quiet about me having it.

Mind you, I am 21 years old and a lot of my friends are 19 and 20 years old. I would venture to say some are less mature than others.
Disclaimer for all my posts: IANAL

My setup:

Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II or Bersa Thunder .380
Crossbreed Supertuck

NRA Member
TSRA Member

wrinkles

Post by wrinkles »

Dan20703 wrote:Carry concealed.
Keep quiet about it.
Stay alert.
Smile.
Totally agree on this.

I wouldn't wear something like this.

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

I can't believe people are stupid enough to buy a t-shirt like that and wear it. :smash:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

threoh8
Posts in topic: 2

Post by threoh8 »

joe817 wrote:I can't believe people are stupid enough to buy a t-shirt like that and wear it. :smash:
Agreed. The badge and sash are so much more effective. :lol:
The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

RPB
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by RPB »

threoh8 wrote:
joe817 wrote:I can't believe people are stupid enough to buy a t-shirt like that and wear it. :smash:
Agreed. The badge and sash are so much more effective. :lol:
Those are great gifts for people who aren't licensed though, like people who put "PROTECTED BY so-and-so ALARM COMPANY stickers on their windows, but have no alarms ... ..... bad guys will see them and run away..... just like they obey all signs. :mrgreen:
Click to enlarge
no-rob-allowed.jpg
I'm no lawyer

"Never show your hole card" "Always have something in reserve"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”