Weight Loss thread....

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

dukesean
Posts in topic: 16

Re: Weight Loss thread....

Post by dukesean »

TexasComputerDude wrote:I've lost somewhere around 60lbs, give or take. I need to lose a lot more but I still struggle with real cokes lol. I'm like a crack addict. The lapband surgery is a lot of hard work. You still have to control yourself.
Yea, people definitely get addicted to the sugars from sodas...sometimes, when I get a craving for a soda, I grab a sparking water (like perrier or similar). Doesn't exactly eliminate the craving, but then by the time I've finished it I'm pretty full and wouldn't be able to drink a real soda anyways.
-------------------------------------
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

74novaman
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 74novaman »

I was at 234 on day 0 of doing P90X. I'm on day 3 right now. Its hard. I had a good friend go from 270ish to 240ish in the 90 day program, so I'm hoping I can do the same...I'll try to update as it goes.
TANSTAAFL

C-dub
Posts in topic: 2

Post by C-dub »

davidtx wrote:
C-dub wrote:
KC5AV wrote:
melkor41 wrote:[SNIP]
Now I can exercise and run for more than 2 miles without coughing up a kidney. I'm 44y and working my way back up to 5 miles.
Do you carry when you run? This is a serious question - there are a couple of very nasty looking Bull Mastiff's on my walking (and future running) route. One of them almost killed a lady a couple of years ago (not sure if it was one of these two or a third one - same hose though and one of them is clearly very aggressive).

-davidtx
I do not. I've considered it, but ruled it out. I run on a track, indoor and outdoor, and on a treadmill. When I run on the indoor track or the treadmill I will do a 2 mile run and then move to the weights. My gym does not prohibit carry, but it does not seem feasible without being very uncomfortable and possibly painful. My weapon is in the fanny pack in a locker about 20 feet away. When I run outside that's all I do that day and my weapon is in the car. I don't run in my neighborhood. I get to do this 2-3 times a week.

I will start riding my bicycle more as soon as my younger dog is old enough to withstand the run along side. This will be more of a workout for the dog's endurance than mine. I will be carrying while riding the bike.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

KC5AV

Post by KC5AV »

davidtx wrote:
C-dub wrote:
KC5AV wrote:
melkor41 wrote:[SNIP]
Now I can exercise and run for more than 2 miles without coughing up a kidney. I'm 44y and working my way back up to 5 miles.
Do you carry when you run? This is a serious question - there are a couple of very nasty looking Bull Mastiff's on my walking (and future running) route. One of them almost killed a lady a couple of years ago (not sure if it was one of these two or a third one - same hose though and one of them is clearly very aggressive).

-davidtx
I'm training for my 1st marathon (Cowtown - Feb 27), and I used to carry an NAA 22 mag. I just upgraded to a S&W 442. It slips in my pocket, and after a little while, I tend to forget it's there. I'm looking at a couple of pocket holsters, wondering if anything would reduce movement even more. I ran 20 miles with it this past weekend.
NRA lifetime member

74novaman

Post by 74novaman »

74novaman wrote:I was at 234 on day 0 of doing P90X. I'm on day 3 right now. Its hard. I had a good friend go from 270ish to 240ish in the 90 day program, so I'm hoping I can do the same...I'll try to update as it goes.
Day 7: 227. 7 lbs in a week isn't too bad!
TANSTAAFL

dukesean

Post by dukesean »

74novaman wrote:Day 7: 227. 7 lbs in a week isn't too bad!
Keep it up! You'll notice the pounds literally start melting off when you've built up some more muscle and turned your body into a regular fat-burning furnace. Then you'll get to a point when the pounds stop coming off so quickly, but don't be discouraged when that happens, it's cause your muscle:fat ratio is increasing, and muscles weigh more than fat.
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

Spanky

Post by Spanky »

I'm having a hard time giving up sodas, but I've found that diet a&w rootbeer tastes just like regular rootbeer. Also found the best darn ice cream sandwiches .....they are called 'skinny cow' and come in a variety of flavors. These things taste just like regular blue bell Ice cream sandwiches. Sure would be easier to conceal some of my larger handguns if I didn't have the belly and love handles

Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Kevinf2349 »

AndyC wrote:I have the opposite problem in that (even at the age of 45 in a few days) I can't keep weight on - and no, it's not as cool as you might suppose. I can work out and the muscles just go "Whoosh - gone!" It's really irritating.
Man I can solve that for you. Quit working out, drink beer, eat pizza and exercise the recliner as often as possible and before you know it you will look just like me! "rlol"
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

cougartex
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cougartex »

Need to loose 15 pounds :cryin ,so far so good have lost 5 pounds since 1/1/10. :clapping:
Cougars are shy, reclusive, and downright mysterious... :txflag:

Spanky

Post by Spanky »

I think my main problem is midnight snacks. I get up almost every night at about 2:00am and eat something bad and have a soda. Since getting out of college I've put on about 50 pounds in five years.

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

Spanky wrote:I think my main problem is midnight snacks.
You and me both. I don't get up at 2am, but I have a BAAAD habit of snacking way too much just before bed.
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

dukesean

Post by dukesean »

UpTheIrons wrote:
You and me both. I don't get up at 2am, but I have a BAAAD habit of snacking way too much just before bed.
Maybe you could get in the habit of "not-as-bad" snacks? or even better yet, snacking on fruit? It takes some intentional changes, but it'll be worth it, I promise.
Sean H.
NRA Life Member
TSRA

davidtx
Posts in topic: 2

Post by davidtx »

dukesean wrote:
UpTheIrons wrote:
Maybe you could get in the habit of "not-as-bad" snacks? or even better yet, snacking on fruit? It takes some intentional changes, but it'll be worth it, I promise.
Fruit, nuts are good. I had good success by shopping for snacks in the "100 calorie package" section. The 100 calorie popcorn packages are especially good at filling you up and giving you something to exercise that hand-to-mouth ritual.

I lost 65 pounds a couple of years ago. When people ask me which diet I used, I always reply - "the Dave's don't eat so much danged food diet", or something like that. I gained about 20 pounds back and now I'm working on the exercise. I always knew exercise was good for you, but the more I read about it, and the more I observe the non-weight related effects (more energy, cheerier disposition, etc), the more convinced I become that this is my next life-style change. I signed up for Krav Maga this week, I've had two classes and its been fantastic - can't wait for the Saturday class. It was easier to overcome my reluctance to spend the time and money by selecting an exercise path that was a two-fer - exercise and self defense skills.

Spanky

Post by Spanky »

Keeping healthy snacks always sounds like a good plan, but the problem is that if I have good snacks (cookies, ice cream, chips etc....) I am definetely reaching for those first. I have no self discipline. I know I should just not buy the good munchy foods when I go grocery shopping, but when they are just staring at you it's hard to say NO to Little Debbie and all her sweet friends.

Return to “Off-Topic”