New CHL requirements???

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 4

Re: New CHL requirements???

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

boomerang wrote:I know. They would have to be pro gun to make the changes I suggested.

Of course, if we had pro gun legislators, they would have passed campus carry and the parking lot bill, among other improvements.

No. Strike that! If we had pro gun legislators, we'd already have the same carry rights as off duty civil servants. Thanks for reminding me of something important I need to do a month from today.
:txflag: :txflag:
The Texas Legislature is very pro-gun simply because a lot of people have been working hard for many years to forge working relationships.

Chas.

budroux2w
Posts in topic: 1

Post by budroux2w »

Crossfire wrote: Or coffee and donuts. Yeah... sounds like a deal to me!
You provide donuts?! I know where I'll be heading later this year! :coolgleamA:
NRA Life Member

marksiwel
Banned
Posts in topic: 18

Post by marksiwel »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
boomerang wrote:I know. They would have to be pro gun to make the changes I suggested.

Of course, if we had pro gun legislators, they would have passed campus carry and the parking lot bill, among other improvements.

No. Strike that! If we had pro gun legislators, we'd already have the same carry rights as off duty civil servants. Thanks for reminding me of something important I need to do a month from today.
:txflag: :txflag:
The Texas Legislature is very pro-gun simply because a lot of people have been working hard for many years to forge working relationships.

Chas.
Gotta agree with Charles, this Utah "NO-SHooting Test" nonsense hurts out cause and makes the CHL Program in Texas look like a joke, why get a Texas CHL when you can just do half the work for a Utah one? Its gaming the system to an extent.
Hopefully this kind of stuff wont scare off the Pro-Gun folks in the State and Fed who are on our side, but remember they are still polticos they are only on our side if it means VOTES (for the most part) anything to scare off voters hurts US
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

marksiwel wrote:Gotta agree with Charles, this Utah "NO-SHooting Test" nonsense hurts out cause and makes the CHL Program in Texas look like a joke, why get a Texas CHL when you can just do half the work for a Utah one? Its gaming the system to an extent. Hopefully this kind of stuff wont scare off the Pro-Gun folks in the State and Fed who are on our side, but remember they are still polticos they are only on our side if it means VOTES (for the most part) anything to scare off voters hurts US
Quite the contrary. I believe the no shooting test Utah has makes Utah look like a joke here in Texas. Just like in order to get a driver's license here in Texas, you must pass a driving test plus a written test. Just like you have to do to get a CHL.

I don't think I'd be comfortable knowing someone who has an out of state CHL carries a gun without having to demonstrate SOME kind of knowledge and proficiency with one.

A side question: are there any states that do NOT require a driving test in order to get a driver's license from that state?
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 9

Post by seamusTX »

Most of the states that issue concealed-weapon permits do not have the kind of course and test that we have. In fact, I don't know of one that does. Some, like Florida, require certification in some kind of safety course.

Ponder the fact that license holders in those states do not seem to be hazardous to themselves or the public.

- Jim

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

seamusTX wrote:Most of the states that issue concealed-weapon permits do not have the kind of course and test that we have. In fact, I don't know of one that does. Some, like Florida, require certification in some kind of safety course.

Ponder the fact that license holders in those states do not seem to be hazardous to themselves or the public.

- Jim
Its been a long fight to get the CHL Program. Some of those states have more "Enlightened" laws or Statesmen than we did.

As for the CHL program in Texas joke thing, I wrote that poorly. I meant to say its like saying you can go to Oklahoma give them your name and get a drivers license without ever getting behind the wheel of a car, and for Texas to say "Fine with us, drive on our roads please"

Heck I would almost be okay with them making the License requirments be the same as Texas in every state so that people could Carry in EVERY State just like they can drive in Every state. But I know that would trample "States Rights" but not anymore than those bull Supreme Court rulings and Laws passed based on "Inter-state commerce" tell me again how having a gun 1000 Feet near a school effects inter-state commerce?

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Keith B »

budroux2w wrote:
Donuts or not, I recommend Crossfire Training hands down. Great instructors and class. And they DO have good donuts!! :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

Keith B wrote:
budroux2w wrote:
Donuts or not, I recommend Crossfire Training hands down. Great instructors and class. And they DO have good donuts!! :thumbs2:
A cop who likes donuts, why I never :biggrinjester:

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

seamusTX wrote:Most of the states that issue concealed-weapon permits do not have the kind of course and test that we have. In fact, I don't know of one that does. Some, like Florida, require certification in some kind of safety course.

Ponder the fact that license holders in those states do not seem to be hazardous to themselves or the public. - Jim
Of all the states I just looked at(OK, NM, AR, LA, WY) on hanagunlaw.us every one required some sort of "certificate of successful completion" of a handgun live fire demonstration, during the CHL course. To me, that is tantamount to what we here in Texas refer to as the proficiency test.

If Utah has such a requirement, then I retract my statement/complaint. :lol:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

57Coastie

Post by 57Coastie »

I concur with those who suggest that a close look should be taken at grants of reciprocity by Texas. Irresponsible actions like the one starting this thread attack reciprocity itself, and they attack what might be irresponsible grants of reciprocity by Texas. Reciprocity, to me, has always meant that the respective standards must not differ substantially, and that when Texas formally takes the position that, for example, Utah CHL standards are acceptable to Texas, then Texas convicts itself of irresponsibility, and blesses Utah standards as being AOK.

On the other hand, terminating reciprocity with Utah would go a long way toward demonstrating that we here in Texas are responsible in CHL licensing, and we will not tolerate permitting those not meeting our standards to carry concealed handguns in Texas.

"Any gun, anywhere" is not an acceptable retort, and I am somewhat surprised, but very pleased, that it has not been suggested yet; if one makes such a suggestion he needs a reality check. We must continue in our direction step by step, reacting immediately and dramatically, if appropriate, when we are faced with things which are most likely counterproductive. Hitting those like the ones posting the advertisement starting this in the pocketbook will stop them in their tracks.

Jim

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 9

Post by seamusTX »

marksiwel wrote:Heck I would almost be okay with them making the License requirments be the same as Texas in every state so that people could Carry in EVERY State just like they can drive in Every state. But I know that would trample "States Rights" but not anymore than those bull Supreme Court rulings and Laws passed based on "Inter-state commerce" tell me again how having a gun 1000 Feet near a school effects inter-state commerce?
The last time the U.S. Supreme considered that question, in U.S. v. Lopez, they ruled that the federal government does not have the power to regulate carrying firearms near schools.

I'm not aware of the current law having been appealed.

We have to be careful with this issue. If the U.S. government could dictate the conditions of concealed carry to the states, the feds could modify those conditions so that few people or no one could carry.

Anyway, no such bill is likely to pass into law in the next three years.

- Jim

GaryAdrian
Posts in topic: 1

Post by GaryAdrian »

I am fine with the Texas laws on CHL's. If you can not understand the law and are a danger to yourself and others, then you should not carry! These are the same people who hurt themselves with a baseball bat.
My wife insisted on 3 months of shooting practice with an average of 1000 rounds a month (and .380 ammo is expensive) before she took her CHL. If more people would do the same, we wouldn't be talking about Utah.
Texas is fine by me.
Going to see Gov. Rick on Sunday anyway.

:txflag:
NRA Life Member
Texas State Rifle Association
NRA-Certified Firearms Instructor

Keith B
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Keith B »

marksiwel wrote:
Keith B wrote:
budroux2w wrote:
A cop who likes donuts, why I never :biggrinjester:
Not a LEO any longer (not for almost 30 years), but it is one habit I have not been able to break. :biggrinjester:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Dragonfighter »

joe817 wrote: I don't think I'd be comfortable knowing someone who has an out of state CHL carries a gun without having to demonstrate SOME kind of knowledge and proficiency with one.
<run on warning>So I need to demonstrate to an agency's satisfaction my proficiency and knowledge of law, then pay a fee to prove that I have a right to keep and bear arms and to ensure you are comfortable with my carrying a weapon? </run on warning>

I agree with Charles, this guy is fixing to soil our mess kit and we have a lot of progress to protect. And yes, I enjoy having a CHL, but these "reasonable" restrictions that keep getting put forth fly in the face of RKBA.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PUCKER »

Those of you who have both a TX CHL and a UT CFP know the differences in the process to get the respective license/permit. I know I've mentioned this before, but the Utah application is ONE sheet of paper! There's info/instructions on the back (maybe something to check off/sign, can't recall for sure, but I KNOW Crossfire can!) and the cost is $65. It's EASY to apply for and CHEAP. Contrast that to the multi-page application for Texas and the more than double fee. Seriously, all of the paperwork is quite ridiculous in my opinion.

BTW - Crossfire provides mighty tasty donuts and coffee, I can vouch for that!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”