Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
kalipsocs
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Ruger's New Compact Pistol

Post by kalipsocs »

wgoforth wrote:
remington79 wrote:I don't see any advantage to the new Ruger that isn't already taken care of by a Glock 26, 19 or HK P2000SK. Besides I prefer a carry sidearm with out a manual safety and with out a mag disconnect. When will Ruger wake up and make a new semi auto that doesn't have a mag disconnect safety or the billboard warning on the side.
You are aware that you can deactivte the mag disconnect feature on SR9's?
Then we get into the legal issues... :grumble

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

Mike from Texas wrote:Hopefully they do something with that horrendous trigger. I had an opportunity to run some rounds through one at the range a while back and the trigger was horrible, close to one of the worst triggers I have ever felt.

I wish Glock would quit being so stubborn and make a single stack G26.
Wait to be clear, you shot this pistol and the trigger was bad? Pull too much or what?

Mike from Texas

Post by Mike from Texas »

frazzled wrote:
Mike from Texas wrote:Hopefully they do something with that horrendous trigger. I had an opportunity to run some rounds through one at the range a while back and the trigger was horrible, close to one of the worst triggers I have ever felt.

I wish Glock would quit being so stubborn and make a single stack G26.
Wait to be clear, you shot this pistol and the trigger was bad? Pull too much or what?
I have not shot the new model being discussed in this thread. It was the original SR9. The trigger was horribly stiff with tons of creep and felt like it had sand in the trigger. There were 2 guys there that had bought the guns at the same time and both triggers felt the same.
A few Glocks, a few Kahrs, Dan Wesson CBOB 10mm, Dan Wesson CBOB 45ACP, Springer Champion Operator

****************************************************************************************************

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

Good to know as that would be a definite factor.

wgoforth

Post by wgoforth »

kalipsocs wrote:
wgoforth wrote:
remington79 wrote:I don't see any advantage to the new Ruger that isn't already taken care of by a Glock 26, 19 or HK P2000SK. Besides I prefer a carry sidearm with out a manual safety and with out a mag disconnect. When will Ruger wake up and make a new semi auto that doesn't have a mag disconnect safety or the billboard warning on the side.
You are aware that you can deactivte the mag disconnect feature on SR9's?
Then we get into the legal issues... :grumble

I am probably wrong like I was one day last year when I thought I was wrong but I really wasn't....
But I was thinking the manual I had with my SR9 showed how to activate and deactivate the mag disconnect. It was just a clip/spring you popped in and out. I sold it about 3 years ago so I can't say for sure....I sold it because (1) the gritty trigger (2) after they replaced my slide because it was deformed at the slide release catch area, and once they replaced it, you almost couldn't rack it, it was so stiff. Sold it, bought the Taurus 24/7 and had money left over and couldn't have been happier!
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tallinthesaddle
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tallinthesaddle »

I'm pretty big on lever safeties and compact pistols with a safety are hard to find. I will probably get one but might wait a few months. I already had to wait through the LCP and the SR-9 recall.

RebelKangaroo

Post by RebelKangaroo »

As to the SR9 trigger, I test fired one at a gun range that must have been pretty recent because it had a pretty smooth trigger. I think they may have made some refinements since it came out.

That range trip was the same time my friend put two magazines from the SR9 into the 10 ring (new shooter) and planned on buying one until I told him about the compact version coming out. He's now going to get the SR9c for his first pistol/CCW.

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

I took my daughter to Mcbride's Guns here in Austin, just after we submitted her CHL application in person at DPS HQ.

I had seen the reviews of the SR9C and thought she might be interested.

I have always liked Rugers and still have a few and another daughter shoots a KP95C in IDPA and will soon get her CHL with it. It is a really good solid pistol.

Anyways, when we went to McBride's I didn't really expect that they would have the SR9C, which they didn't, becaused it was only released 4 days ago. The Standard SR9 was in stock (for only $410) and the grip is just the same, except for length. She currently has and shoots a Glock 17, which was her learning pistol, and she is going to want something smaller for concealed carry, but still useable for IDPA type shooting.

We tried the new SR9 and it felt nice and narrow but the trigger was a pretty hard pull. Much more that the Glock she owns. While there, we also looked at and dry fired the XD9. While the grip was a bit wider than the SR9, the ergonomics of the grip fit her hand much better than the Ruger or the Glock and the trigger was really very nice. She is now leaning toward the Springfield Armory XD9.

Personally, I'll stay with my Glock 30 but the XD felt good.

hillcountry

Post by hillcountry »

CWOOD wrote:While there, we also looked at and dry fired the XD9. While the grip was a bit wider than the SR9, the ergonomics of the grip fit her hand much better than the Ruger or the Glock and the trigger was really very nice. She is now leaning toward the Springfield Armory XD9.
I wholeheartedly agree about the XD line's ergonomics, and they point extremely naturally for me.

If she liked the XD9 at all, have her hold and dry-fire the XD9sc (sub-compact) before she buys anything Springfield.

It conceals well with it's included 16-round magazine, which provides a grip I find more comfortable, intuitive, and more natural pointing than my full sized XDm. AND... it also comes with a shorter 13-round magazine which, at the loss of a pinky rest (for me anyway) and 3 rounds, provides even greater concealability. A 10-round magazine (same size as the 13 so I haven't purchased any) is also available for those who travel to areas that still limit capacity.

I find the XDsc's shape (even with the 16-rounders which are my typical carry magazines) to make it easier for me to conceal than my similar sized double stacks (I carried a Bersa 9UC Pro before finding my XDsc). And the XDsc's grip and trigger safeties are extremely unobtrusive. Both of my XDs have been extremely reliable, and holsters, magazines, and accessories are widely available.

While the XD9 is a great pistol, the XD9sc is IMO a step above and offers more options.

Good luck.
Last edited by hillcountry on Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Hillcountry

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

hillcountry, thanks for the comments.

In fact, while we were talking with "Bob", the salesman, I spotted an XD9sc on the shelf and she did hold and dryfire it. She really liked it.

Bob, by the way was VERY courteous and and informative in a conversational and low key manner. Very respectful of the female customer. I recommend him to anyone going there. He also casually commented that they are NOT on commission, which I didn't know.

My wife bought me a Mini14 there one time, and another time a Lasermax for my carry pistol for a couple of Christmases, and she was very well treated and she is definately NOT a gun person. She really liked the service and thinks well of them.

Thanks again.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

Tregs wrote:Nice looking piece and Ruger has a strong name.
I recently went on a 2 month quest for the perfect 9mm carry. While I am now in agreement with the majority of CC'ers that say any purchase is a compromise, I realized that for me, the most important aspect was width. There are many SA's on the market in the 1.25" range, but few under 1". In the end, it came down to the Walther PPS or Kahr P9, which both measure 0.9". I went with the Kahr P9 and haven't regretted it. Great gun and flawless so far in operation.
I carry the MK40 and love it. After carrying the MK40 I do not care to carry a larger gun now (I have carried up to a Para 14-45), I am used to the small, lightweight carry gun. I actually sold the G30 and am buying a full size (XDM 40 -4.5 inch) to use when I want something larger.

hillcountry

Post by hillcountry »

CWOOD wrote:hillcountry, thanks for the comments.

In fact, while we were talking with "Bob", the salesman, I spotted an XD9sc on the shelf and she did hold and dryfire it. She really liked it.
Thanks, and I hope I wasn't too "evengelical". I tend to ramble anyway (my wife calls it something else), and after some costly missteps trying to find a workable double-stack sized carry, it's a topic I like to talk about. :patriot:

If she's considering the XD, I suggest she handle the XDsc with each of the magazine sizes, as they change the footprint considerable. Personally I find the XD offers _nothing_ over the versatility and concealability of the XDsc line other than a slightly longer barrel length - which for me, given the good ammo choices, was less of a consideration than concealability.

Better still, the Lone Star Range http://www.ctxpta.com shows that they have the XD9 3" (presumably the XD9sc) as well as the XD9 4", 5" and XDm9 4.5" available for rental. EDIT: They have just one magazine for their XDsc, but PM if you're headed out there and if our schedules coincide I'll run out and loan the "other" magazine size to try if desired.

FWIW I've always had polite service at McBride's, but Cabelas is a lot closer for me.

Best of luck to you both.
- Hillcountry

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”