Thinking of reloading... info needed

For those who like to roll their own.

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Mikel
Posts in topic: 1

Thinking of reloading... info needed

Post by Mikel »

Ok, so I am thinking of reloading (mostly .380 and .38spl)

What all do I need and how much will I have to spend? .380 is hard to come by so that is what got me thinkin about it.

Oldgringo

Re: Thinking of reloading... info needed

Post by Oldgringo »

RCBS, among others, have complete packages that will get you started handily with everything EXCEPT dies and components. You can see these offerings at Cabela's, MidwayUSA on-line, etc. Google reloading and all sorts of things will come up including reloading data.

The reloaders' current challenge is locating primers. They are randomly available from time to time from on-line shooter's supply outfits. I reload because it's something to do, NOT because it's cost effective; however, I do have .380 & .38 Spec. ammo when others don't. :mrgreen:

Good luck and enjoy.

CWOOD

Post by CWOOD »

Mikel,
The amount you need to invest is directly related in how much you shoot and, therefore, how much you need to reload, and WHAT you want to relaod as well as how much time you have/want to spend doing the reloading.

This information is directly related to how cost effective reloading will be for you.

Generally speaking a progressive reloading setup is one that performs several functions at on pull of the tool's handle and each pull yields a fully loaded cartridge. This is the fastest system and the most expensive initially. Therefore if you shoot a lot of ammo like 5000 rounds or more per year, you will come out ahead in the long run by using this type of set up. Generally you will have a toolhead, which holds the reloading dies, for each caliber and changing to another involves exchanging the set up toolhead, shell holder, case feeder, bullet feeder, primer feeder and powder. Obviously these systems are more complex than those below. Some require more maintenance than others and some are more reliable than others. Generally Dillon is considered the best and most expensive of the bunch but others have quality units too. After intial setup, one can load 300+ per hour. Some are much faster...and much more expensive. To set up for 2-3 calibers one could probably expect to initially spend from $500-600 to several thousand dollars. Depends on capacity and quality.

The next level down in speed and cost is a turret setup. The shooter who shoot 1000-2000 rounds per year might find this system practical. You have all 3 or 4 dies set up on a rotating turret and each pull of the tool's handle performs one function on one cartridge and after 3/4 pulls you have a loaded cartridge. This is sometimes referred to as a semi-progressive reloader. Generally the bullets and cases are put into the tool by hand and there is an manually operated primer dispenser and an automatic powder dispneser mounted on the tool. Here you will generally have a turret (or toolhead) with the previously adjusted dies for each caliber which you can swap out in 30 seconds or less. The primer feeder and shell holder can be swapped out in less than that so you just change the powder and adjust the powder dispenser and you are ready to go. Once adjusted, the turret assembly is essentially maintenance free if you use the same components. One can expect to load 100-150 per hour pretty easily after you gain a little experience and confidence. Your cost to set up will be in the $250-280 range.

The slowest and least expensive set up is a single stage loader system. This can range from the Lee Loader where you can get most of what you need for $25 for a single caliber without having to use a press, or you can get a single stage press setup for about $100-150. The single stage system is slow, but has it's place. You set up the press to perform a single reloading function on a single caliber. You perform that function on a batch of components and then reset the press for the next function and perform that function on those same components and so on until you have completed all functions on the entire group of components. For example you set up to resize and decap (remove old primer), then you set up to install new primer, then you set up to add powder, then you set up to add the bullet an crimp the cartridge.

You will need other tools like a scale to weigh powder charges, an caliper to measure cartridge length, and bullet puller to fix boo-boos, a workbench of some sort, a good light source, a set of dies to work/assemble the components if they were not included with the press, a case tumbler and polishing media if you want clean shiny cases. Don't for get eye protection.

The components consist of the bullet, the case, the primer and the powder. Price and availability on these vary. Buy them in as large a quantity as you can manage to get the best deals. However, initially it might not be a bad idea to buy a smaller quantity (enought to load 500-1000 rounds) until you decide if you really want to do this.

The big savings from reloading comes from reusing the case. Obviously you cannot reuse the primer or powder and usually it is not practical to try to reprocess a bullet. Some people save more money by getting lead in bulk and casting their own bullets. Also, you can buy cast lead bullets fairly inexpensivley. I have a Glock 30 which shoots 45ACP. I only use jacketed bullets which are more expensive. That will probably be true of your .380, but the 38 Special can certainly use lead bullets.

If you pickup and reuse your cases, you WILL save money and should eventually pay back your equipment costs. The payback time frame depends on how much you spend to get started and how much you shoot.

My situation is as follows. I shoot primarily 45ACP at a rate of about 1000-2000 per year. My daughters shoot 9mm at a rate of under 1000 per year and I shoot .223 at a rate of under 500 per year, but the .223 will increase in the future. I got a Lee Classic Turret Kit(much sturdier and not much more expensive that the Lee Deluxe Turret) from Cabelas. Kempfs Guns online has a kit also. Generally the kit comes with a simple but accurate scale, dies for one caliber, powder dispenser, primer dispenser and other useful tools for aobut $190. Cabelas often has coupons and free shipping to their stores for online orders. I bought 4# of Winchester WST powder, 1000 jacketed bullets from Precision Delta online and primers from Cabelas and various other sources...many online. The various other tools I mentioned, including the tumbler and media added about $85.

With this set up I can reload 45ACP for less than half of the cost of Walmart value packs, and I save even more with the .223. With the 9mm I save at least 1/3 but the savings can be better in most cases. This is done by picking up and reloading cases found at the range. I figured that I can recover my initial equipment cost in fewer than 2000 rounds...just shooting the 45ACP.

Reloading is NOT rocket surgery. You can do it safely and effectively if you pay attention to detail, get some good advice, keep it simple initially (not a lot of variations of each caliber at first) and have a fair degree of patience. You can get the same near 100% reliability as you get with factory ammo so there is no real downside if you are willing to spend the time rather than the money in the long run. My concern was whether or not I would be consistent in actually taking the time pick up the cases during IDPA matches. I practiced this for a few months to make sure and to build a stash of cases to start with. I also found a GREAT deal on some once fired cases locally and only paid $30 for 5000. I still pick up at least as much as I shoot.

Sources of information are available from various online sources including this forum. Glocktalk.com has a very helpful online reloading forum. Brian Enos website is geared toward Dillon but has a lot of useful info. Lee Precision website has useful info and video. Youtube has useful videos. I got started on my own without a 'coach' but got much advice form this forum and Glocktalk. I started by loading 10 rounds of three different loads for my 45ACP, found which one I liked and have stayed with it. I measure cartridge length and powder about every 10 rounds and look in every case after dropping powder to make sure I didn't double charge it. After the first 50 rounds if gotten 100% reliability if terms of loading into the weapon each time, firing each time, and ejecting each time. Accuracy is very good for my purposes...IDPA.

Read a LOT before you buy and decide on just what you want. Ask questions.

I hope this helps. Best of luck to you.

CDH

Post by CDH »

Mr CWood is up to bat, swings, and hits it out of the park!!! :thumbs2:

I can't disagree with anything he says. I personally recommend newbies to start slow and cheap. 38 spl is ideal in that it is generally a very forgiving round to reload.

I recommend a single stage press, one set of dies, one powder, one bullet, one primer, etc. Load and go shoot a few hundred, then start experimenting (if you still want to pursue it).

Have fun!
No damage control is ever as good as prevention.

rgoodwin

Post by rgoodwin »

CWOOD...Thanks for the very informative post. Considering a new hobby in reloading, so I appreciate your insight.

powerboatr

Post by powerboatr »

cwood
about covered it
i use a dillon and its a progressive unit. it cost more but I can build up several thousand in an evening, i use reloading as a form of meditation and relaxation. it makes me only think about one thing and the rest of the world drifts by.
i do some of my best problem solving while reloading

i run 9mm 45 acp and 380, the dillon change out to each caliber in my opinion is pain less
what ever unit you decide
always measure twice, read and re-read then double check. think of it as an art form and your doing it all 100% error free.
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

Return to “Reloading Forum”