my chl class, is this normal?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

IzzI
Posts in topic: 1

Re: my chl class, is this normal?

Post by IzzI »

edit, to answer the question...NO

My instructor was great and i think the most important thing (that i remember) is that passing the class is only the beginning . research,training and staying current with any changes is up to me.
There is a lot of stuff to cover in a short period of time .The class was just the beginning............ did i say that?That's why i lurk in here.
The other thing i remember saying to my buddy was" i used to think that drivers ed instructors had the biggest stones" :tiphat:
I'm guessing that as an instructor, you really never know what you have for students till you get class started.
:cheers2:
Props to Lonnie .

wgoforth
Posts in topic: 2

Post by wgoforth »

IzzI wrote:edit, to answer the question...NO

My instructor was great and i think the most important thing (that i remember) is that passing the class is only the beginning . research,training and staying current with any changes is up to me.
There is a lot of stuff to cover in a short period of time .The class was just the beginning............ did i say that?That's why i lurk in here.
The other thing i remember saying to my buddy was" i used to think that drivers ed instructors had the biggest stones" :tiphat:
I'm guessing that as an instructor, you really never know what you have for students till you get class started.
:cheers2:
Props to Lonnie .
:oops:
NRA Life Member
NRA Instructor for Refuse To Be A Victim
Instructor of Basic, Advanced and Defensive Handgun, CHL
http://www.castlekeepservices.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purplehood

Post by Purplehood »

My class was given at Shiloh here in Houston just off of FM1960. It was taught by a Deputy Sheriff that I think works(ed) at the Sheriff Academy. The whole process (shooting, photos, fingerprints, class and test) was well-run, interesting and informative. I tried not to talk too much.
Life NRA
USMC 76-93
USAR 99-07 (Retired)
OEF 06-07

frazzled

Post by frazzled »

MadMonkey wrote:I took my class at DFW Gun Range, and I was actually impressed. Yes, he drilled the test answers into us, but it was obvious he wanted us to all pass... and each time, he would either give examples or a story as to why that answer was correct, not just give us the answer and move on. He seemed genuinely interested in having us learn all we could. He did a great job and was pretty funny to boot.

And he was EXTREMELY safe in the range, and got us all in and out as quickly as possible.
My instructor at Eagle Peak was the same. We went through the rules in detail, when self defense was applicable, where and where you couldn't CHL, and some nice actual defense/shooting tips. Having shot firearms for more than 20 years at that point I was surprised to learn a trick or two.

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

I think the 10 hours of classroom instruction should be replaced with 10 hours of reading random threads on this forum. We'd probably have better educated CHLS. :biggrinjester:

dklag37

Post by dklag37 »

I took my CHL course at DFWgun in Dallas. My instructor was VERY knowledgeable and entertaining at the same time. Even though the class started pretty early in the moring, I didn't nod off once because he kept the learning very energized. His stories were relevant to what he was teaching. The laws and statutes that were taught coincides with everything I have learned from this forum as well. I would recommend his class to anyone. :thumbs2:
Dallas County

5/10/09 - CHL Class
5/12/09 - Applied Online
5/26/09 - Mailed Packet
6/26/09 - Processing Application
9/03/09 - Application Completed
9/11/09 - License Received

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”