How long for DPS to process your CHL

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

How long did it take for DPS to process your new or renewal CHL?

New - 60 days or less
48%
New - 61 to 70 days
15%
New - 71 to 80 days
15%
Renewal - 45 days or less
5%
Renewal - 46 to 60 days
5%
Renewal - 61 to 70 days
3%
Additional Processing Time - Timely issued
4%
Additional Processing Time - Not timely issued
6%

Total votes: 340

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Jim:
Welcome to TexasCHLforum.

The statute (Tex. Gov't Code Section 411.177(b)) states 60 days (45 for renewals) meaning calendar days. If a statute is silent as to business days v. calendar days, then it means calendar days. The time period also starts on the day a complete set of forms is received by DPS, not when they decide to put it into the computer as they sometimes claim.

I always recommend that people send it by Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested, or by FedEx, so you can prove when DPS received it.

Keep us posted as to how long it takes to get your's processed.

Regards,
Chas.

Jim101
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Jim101 »

Charles,

Thanks for the information, OK, I am sitting at 37 days today, not counting wekends, holidays and allowing 2 days to get there....The wait is killing......
Where is Friendswood,Tx.? looks like a good Range.....

Jim

gigag04
Posts in topic: 4

Post by gigag04 »

should be any day now. Hang in there!

Mine took right at 3 months. Checking the website daily will make it seem like forever. Forget about it for a few days and check once or twice a week and it'll go by faster.

Welcome to the forum!

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Topic author
Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 26

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Jim101 wrote:Where is Friendswood,Tx.? looks like a good Range.....Jim
25 miles south of downtown Houston. It's a 50 round-trip commute for me, but it's well worth it.

If you're at 37 days not counting weekends and holidays, then add those in. Then, call DPS on the 61st day and politely ask why you haven't received your CHL. I'll wager you'll get one of three standard excuses, but the fact that you called will get them moving on your file.

I have a great deal of respect for the DPS and am by no means one of their critics. However, their processing of CHL applications leaves much to be desired. I fear we'll be seeing them fight any generalized fee reduction by arguing they need more personnel, using the delays as evidence.

Regards,
Chas.

Jim101

Post by Jim101 »

Thanks again for the advice......Friendswood is a little to far for me to drive, but it looks like a great place, I live outside the DFW Airport......

Jim

Trainman
Posts in topic: 4

Got IT!

Post by Trainman »

:D:lol::P The CHL arrived yesterday afternoon in the mail! :D:lol::P

Total of 71 days or 50 'working' days, so my time looks to be about the average.

Texasdoc
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Texasdoc »

well my first time was only 48 days and my Renewal took 37 days .

Paul

Jim101

Post by Jim101 »

As of today, I am sitting on 55 days (counting weekends, etc.) Did you status on the CHL Board change from Processing Application before you got it?

Jim

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Kalrog »

Yeah, it changed to something similar to : license or certificate active. Then it was another week and a half before I got the paper copy.

isa268
Posts in topic: 6

Post by isa268 »

well today would have been 60days if i didn't have to send the application back for missing information. the web site still says "Pocessing Application". i'll give them a call next week to see how its going.

matt

Kalrog
Posts in topic: 22

Post by Kalrog »

I don't think your clock started until you got them all of the required information - how long has it been since you sent in the rest of the information?

isa268

Post by isa268 »

darn it. just 3 weeks. i'm still calling them next week to see how things are going.

matt

Jim101

Post by Jim101 »

Guess what? Logged on to check the status of my CHL on Sunday (6/12)morning and got "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active"...That put me at 63 days from the day I dropped it off in the mail....Now it's a matter of days...... :D They must run a batch job on Sat. nights to update the file, because as of Sat. afternoon my app. was still being processed....
The wait is over.................

Jim
NRA, TSRA

isa268

Post by isa268 »

logged in this morning and got this message: "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active" i had to check it twice cause i couldnt believe it.

I sent the license in on April 8th. DPS got the certified mail April 11th. got sent back to me cause it was incomplete. i remailed it may 15th. so that was 50 buisness days, 68 calander days since the first time i sent it in. and 24 buisness and 32 calander since i resent it in for the corrections.

OMG I didn't expect it till at least the end of this month.

YEAH.

watch out BG's isa's armed and dangerous.

isa

RoundRock_Gun_Fan
Posts in topic: 2

How long?

Post by RoundRock_Gun_Fan »

Do they send out your CHL the day or maybe the day after it is approved?
I got an email from DPS (after I complained) saying it was approved and is being mailed on June 15th. Now, I live in Round Rock (~15 miles from DPS) and that was 5 days ago and still no CHL in the mail. Do they hold them until they get a batch and then send them out? The email said 7 to 10 days and I thought they were crazy. I guess they aren't crazy, just SLOW!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”