ammo on sale

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

USA1
Posts in topic: 104

Re: ammo

Post by USA1 »

seniorshooteress wrote:I went to Wallyworld looking for anything I could find. Needed some 38sp for my revolvers found a box then noticed when I got home it had a +P on it. Seeing as how I am new to all this what does +P mean? Does it mean I can't use it in a revolver? :banghead: Don't everyone laugh, but I had no idea there was such a thing as target ammo and/or personal protection ammo. Are there any books I can buy to read up on ammo? Only real thing I know is if you have a 25 need to buy 25 ammo- and so on and so forth. I know not to try to load something other than the right caliber. Really do need to know what the difference is in regular 38SP and 38SP+P. Thanks all :???:
I'm not an expert but I'll give it a try..

+P means that it's a "hotter" , more powerful round. If your revolver is designated for +P ammunition , then it should indicate that on the gun. Something like ...38 special +P. If not , you should be careful about using +P ammo.

I'm sure a real expert will come in soon to help you.

BTW , What kind of revolver(s) are you talking about ?
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

seniorshooteress
Posts in topic: 8

Re: ammo on sale

Post by seniorshooteress »

Hi, thx for your input. 1 revolver I have is a 38 S/W police special. The other is a Snub nosed 38SP armius brand or something like that. I have all my pistols in a gun safe otherwise I would look to tell you what the actual mfg of that snub nose is. haven't a clue where to look for a +P on them.
CHL Rec: 2/5/10
Member: TSRA/NRA
Project One Million: Texas-Click here and Join NRA Today!

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive!

USA1

Post by USA1 »

seniorshooteress wrote: haven't a clue where to look for a +P on them.
Usually it's printed directly on the barrel or close to it. ;-)

LarryH
Posts in topic: 21

Post by LarryH »

USA1 wrote:
seniorshooteress wrote: haven't a clue where to look for a +P on them.
Usually it's printed directly on the barrel or close to it. ;-)
or you can check the manufacturer's web site for the specifications.

seniorshooteress

So if it doesn't have a +P on the barrel does that mean I have to just throw the ammo at a target instead of shooting it out of my gun? Will my gun blow up in my hand or something else terrible? This will certainly teach me to read the ammo box before I buy that's for sure.

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." - Clint Eastwood

USA1

Post by USA1 »

seniorshooteress wrote: Will my gun blow up in my hand or something else terrible?
I will let a more knowledgeable person answer that. But in my opinion , I wouldn't use it.

joe817
Posts in topic: 92

Post by joe817 »

I agree with USA1 (woah nellie! imagine me agreeing with him! :lol: )

Better to pass it up not knowing for absolutely, positively sure that your guns will accept +P ammo. IMO, +P ammo is a relatively new invention, made for new pistols that can withstand the extreme pressure the load puts on the barrel when shot.

Older pistols you are really taking your chances. I have a pistol made in the 80's and that was wayyyyy before they rolled out +P ammo, so I'm staying clean away from it. Humbly suggest you do the same, UNLESS your guns are new, or of recent manufacture.

Like USA1 says, I'll let other more knowledgeable ballistic guru's chime in with their opinions. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 36

Post by Mike1951 »

Using +P in a handgun that was not designed for it will cause accelerated wear. S&W .38s from as late as the 80's are not recommended for use with +P.

I would definitely not recommend using +P in your Arminius.

Still, many will practice with standard .38s and carry +Ps.

Regarding self defense / target ammo, there are criteria that we look for in self defense ammo such as good expansion and adequate penetration and these are improved by the higher velocities associated with +P and almost universal use of jacketed hollow point bullets. Therefore, self defense ammo costs more.

Target ammo is loaded with lead cast or completely jacketed bullets and tends to be much less expensive.

So we stock up on the cheap stuff for practice and shoot enough of the self defense ammo to make sure it functions properly in our guns.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

seniorshooteress

Thx to all for the info. Guess I will now go and see if I can find a 38SP that is of newer vintage to add to my collection. Both of my 38SP are old. One I bought in '97 the other has been around since year 1 I am sure. It belonged to my mom-in-law and when she passed away I got it.

Tireshred
Posts in topic: 69

Post by Tireshred »

Most 38's in decent shape should take an occasional +p, but I wouldn't give one that's not rated for it a steady diet of it.

Walmart in Pearland on 35 has 45 SD for around $20 for 20 and lots of 9mm and 40 range ammo, usual prices.
"All of life's big problems include the words "Indictment" or "Inoperable", everything else is small stuff." Alton Brown

CompVest
Posts in topic: 11

Post by CompVest »

Just solve the problem by getting a 357. Shoot 38s for fun and practice and load it with 357s for SD.

I love my S$W Model 66.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

seniorshooteress

Hi all No worries. I found some .380FMJ ammo today. Got myself 4 boxes. Thats what I need to go practice with on the shooting range with my Bersa Thunder. So now I can just kick those 38SP+P's to the curb. May find someone to give them to. If not, I do have a slingshot :smilelol5: T's Guns & Ammo in Texas City has a good supply of the .380FMJ ammo if anyone is interested. No personal protection ammo as yet though.

ExMarlboroMan
Posts in topic: 18

Post by ExMarlboroMan »

seniorshooteress wrote:Hi all No worries. I found some .380FMJ ammo today. Got myself 4 boxes. Thats what I need to go practice with on the shooting range with my Bersa Thunder. So now I can just kick those 38SP+P's to the curb. May find someone to give them to. If not, I do have a slingshot :smilelol5: T's Guns & Ammo in Texas City has a good supply of the .380FMJ ammo if anyone is interested. No personal protection ammo as yet though.
What kind of price on that .380 ammo and brand?

If you wanna give away that .38 +p ammo I know someone real close to ya!
NRA Member
"Don't retreat, just reload!"- Sarah Palin
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same...

Kevinf2349
Posts in topic: 50

Post by Kevinf2349 »

ExMarlboroMan wrote:
seniorshooteress wrote:Hi all No worries. I found some .380FMJ ammo today. Got myself 4 boxes. Thats what I need to go practice with on the shooting range with my Bersa Thunder. So now I can just kick those 38SP+P's to the curb. May find someone to give them to. If not, I do have a slingshot :smilelol5: T's Guns & Ammo in Texas City has a good supply of the .380FMJ ammo if anyone is interested. No personal protection ammo as yet though.
What kind of price on that .380 ammo and brand?

If you wanna give away that .38 +p ammo I know someone real close to ya!
WWB @ $21.95 for 50. He has about 2 dozen boxes on the shelf. :anamatedbanana
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 54

Post by Beiruty »

$21.95 for 100 rd of WWB. I prefer the Federal 9mm for $9.5 for 50 or $19 for 100
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”