Carry in a grocery store that sells alcohol???

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Carry in a grocery store that sells alcohol???

Post by Keith B »

92f-fan wrote:
Keith B wrote: I see one flaw in your program; 51% sign or not, it is still illegal to carry in a 51% establishment. The only think the absence of a red sign provides is a DEFENSE to prosecution only. You can still be arrested.
if you cant count on the legally required signs how are you expected to know what % of the revenue comes from what ?

Just never carry anywhere alcohol MIGHT be served whether you can see it or not ?
You can usually tell pretty easily. If the people predominately go into a place to drink and not eat, then best to err on the side of caution and not carry there until you can validate it by looking at their license on the wall.

You can also sometimes determine if they are NOT a 51% establishment ahead of time by going to the TABC website and searching fore their license. If the website shows FB in the on the subordinates line, they have a 'Food and Beverage' license and are NOT a 51% establishment. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

OldSchool
Posts in topic: 1

Post by OldSchool »

RPB wrote:Thanks Keith, you'r right ... I revised it above

Reminds me once when I worked at MSN and programmed 2 things to respond to each other and created an infinite loop <embarassed> "rlol"
Now you know why I rarely program in the C family -- I make enough mistakes in any language!
;-)
Life is for learning.
IANAL, thank gosh!
NRA Life Member - TSRA - PSC
NRA Certified Basic Rifle Instructor, Chief Range Safety Officer

12/23/2009: Packets delivered.
01/15/2010: Plastic in hand!

NcongruNt
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NcongruNt »

Keith B wrote:
92f-fan wrote:
Keith B wrote: I see one flaw in your program; 51% sign or not, it is still illegal to carry in a 51% establishment. The only think the absence of a red sign provides is a DEFENSE to prosecution only. You can still be arrested.
if you cant count on the legally required signs how are you expected to know what % of the revenue comes from what ?

Just never carry anywhere alcohol MIGHT be served whether you can see it or not ?
You can usually tell pretty easily. If the people predominately go into a place to drink and not eat, then best to err on the side of caution and not carry there until you can validate it by looking at their license on the wall.

You can also sometimes determine if they are NOT a 51% establishment ahead of time by going to the TABC website and searching fore their license. If the website shows FB in the on the subordinates line, they have a 'Food and Beverage' license and are NOT a 51% establishment. :thumbs2:
That all depends on where you are. In Austin, that line is not so distinct. There are many "all ages" music venues that make quite a bit of money off of ticket sales (Zona Rosa, Stubb's, Emo's, etc), and certainly aren't making money from selling alcohol to all the minors who go to the shows. But they have a TABC license without a FB suboordinate, so we have no way of telling short of going up and requesting the TABC license. And good luck finding that license with several hundred people milling around; I've never been able to spot it at any of those venues.

I believe I called TABC compliance about Zona Rosa at one point a couple years ago, as they had absolutely no signs at all. TABC couldn't give me any kind of answer if the place was 51%, but told me they'd get someone on them about putting up signs. I haven't been back since then to check.
NRA Member
TSRA Member
My Blog: All You Really Need

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”