Why I carry, even in the house

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
No Bama Man
Posts in topic: 1

Why I carry, even in the house

Post by No Bama Man »

I carry even in the house to make sure the weapon is not accessible to children and for reasons such as this:

A week ago Monday or Tuesday at a house in Pasadena, tx there was a knock on the door. The man looked through the peep hole and saw one person. When he opened the door two more appeared, one put a shot gun barrel in his chest forceing their way in. They then smacked the guy around, emptied their pillow cases of pillows and filled them with the things they thought should be theirs, took his car keys and drove away in his car. There was a defense weapon in the house which kept the burglers safe because it was stashed away for safety purposes. Too bad they (the burglers) did not call an make an appointment first.

The guy in this story is a roomate of my friend's son who was at work while this happened. Real close to home.
"It's a free country if you do what you're told"
ENOUGH TAX & GOVERNMENT

NRA Life Member
02/16/09 - Chl class
02/26/09 - Received by dps
03/20/09 - Received pin
04/20/09 - Had to sign fingerprint cards and return
08/14/09 - Application complete
08/19/09 - Plastic in Hand

joe817
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Why I carry, even in the house

Post by joe817 »

I carry even in the house...
Many of us do. I do. There's been stories told like yours that prove a home invasion can happen to anyone, at any time, no matter where you live. From low cost housing complexes, to upper income security gated enclaves.

It's just prudent to do so. ;-)
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

GeekwithaGun

Post by GeekwithaGun »

:iagree:
I carry at home for this very reason

You just never know.
NRA Life Member

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PUCKER »

For the very few times that I answer the door I look through the peephole and if it's someone I don't recognize I go to the side door...and slowly open it...I have a stright line-of-sight down the side of the house (front door is 20 feet away) and there's a large metal gate between along with my big Great Dane (178 lbs.) that is barking furiously...but yes, I carry at home...lemme tell you that a shoulder rig, t shirt and boxers is quite a sight...LOL

witchdoctor575

Post by witchdoctor575 »

my wife thinks I am nuts to carry at home, but she doesn't give me grief for it. at least when I have to pull an all nighter she puts her 1911 in her nightstand drawer. she knows crazies lurk everywhere.

Shorts
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Shorts »

People are in and out of the neighborhood all the time. Many of them stop at our door (I hate solicitors!). Whether they know it or not, every person is met with caution and a .45 :txflag:
Don't Mess with Texas Women

2/15/09 - Class Date
3/18/09 - PIN Assigned, Processing App
8/07/09 - Plastic in hand

USA1
Posts in topic: 5

Post by USA1 »

Eye on the peephole , hand on the gun.
Unless its a neighbor or family (they have to know the secret knock) then I don't open the door.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

RedRaider

Post by RedRaider »

USA1 wrote:
Unless its a neighbor or family (they have to know the secret knock) then I don't open the door.
:iagree:

And I also agree with the OP to carry in your house. I don't feel bad for not opening the door to someone I don't know, and if they're in sales they should already be accustomed to rejection.............and my way of rejection is to not answer the door.

dewayneward

Post by dewayneward »

Carry 24/7 or guess right.....

To the person that doesnt like solicitors, we have had some success with putting up a no solicitor sign. My wife and I fought about that, but everytime I sat down for dinner, the doorbell would ring and my wife would not answer the door (I didnt want her to answer either, but she wanted me to or for us to hide in our own house) so I just bought it and put it up.

when I am outside, I OC and for some reason the solicitors dont want to talk to me :lol:
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

Shorts

Post by Shorts »

dewayneward wrote:Carry 24/7 or guess right.....

To the person that doesnt like solicitors, we have had some success with putting up a no solicitor sign. My wife and I fought about that, but everytime I sat down for dinner, the doorbell would ring and my wife would not answer the door (I didnt want her to answer either, but she wanted me to or for us to hide in our own house) so I just bought it and put it up.

when I am outside, I OC and for some reason the solicitors dont want to talk to me :lol:

lol Yeah, I thought of OC but I'd rather not let me neighbors know there's any fireams in the house. Especially that a neighbor to our immediate right isn't a citizen of the most upstanding way.

i do need to get some 'No soliciting' signs (some nice ones, or lowprofile so they aren't ugly). In the summer time it is non stop door bell ringing. And you hit it on the head, right around supper time too. After work/after school when they guess people would be getting home.
Don't Mess with Texas Women

2/15/09 - Class Date
3/18/09 - PIN Assigned, Processing App
8/07/09 - Plastic in hand

PUCKER

Post by PUCKER »

My wife used to think that too...I think my parents did as well...then this HORRIFIC murder of Marianne Wilkinson (friend of my parents) changed their mind:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 22449.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was talking to my dad the other day (he does have his CHL) and I mentioned that I carried at home, I said "You may think I'm paranoid..." he responded with "No, I don't."
witchdoctor575 wrote:my wife thinks I am nuts to carry at home, but she doesn't give me grief for it. at least when I have to pull an all nighter she puts her 1911 in her nightstand drawer. she knows crazies lurk everywhere.

dewayneward

Post by dewayneward »

lol Yeah, I thought of OC but I'd rather not let me neighbors know there's any fireams in the house. Especially that a neighbor to our immediate right isn't a citizen of the most upstanding way.
Ha ha! Yea, we all have "that" neighbor. I know there are quite a number of members here that are in the dont ask/dont tell category. I am not..and I am sure that I may regret it one day.

I had a recent thing happen with "that" neighbor as he let his LARGE dog run around unleashed in our neighborhood. Quick history note for those "dont hate the breed crowd", this dog has rushed a solicitor on the sidewalk (Ok, maybe the dog aint so bad :lol: ), ran up to another LEASHED dog and attacked the dog. The owner just sat there looking stupid.

My incident was about 9pm at night. I was helping the missus put up the christmas trees and decorations in our front yard. My wife and kids went into the house (thankfully all that the same time). I walked out of our garage and immediately heard "the dog" barking his head off on my property about 10 ft away. Bared teeth an all. The owner was sitting on his property with a smile on his face. I unholstered my hi-point 9mm and charged the weapon (pointing it at the ground). I honestly do not want to hurt this animal (or anyone for that matter), but I have seen what he has done, he aint no poodle and he was 10 ft away from me on my property. The neighbor decided that that was the time that it would be best for him to call his dog. After a few tense moments the dog backs off and goes back on his own property.

during that incident my wife was walking back outside just as I was unholstering and charging. Thankfully she stayed put or the dog may have spooked and I would have had to stop it.

Since that time, I have not seen the dog out NOR have I heard the dog bark at night (another pet peeve of mine).

All I can say is to ALWAYS carry. There is NEVER a time or situation not to carry. IGNORE anyone that tells you otherwise.
Col 2:8 See to it that no man takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men,according to the elementary principles of the world,rather than according to Christ.
austin received app 12/10
Processing app 12/22/08
App comp 1/26/09
Plastic in hand 1/30/09

AndyAg08

Post by AndyAg08 »

I dont carry on me at home, but I live in a small (very small) apartment so I'm never far from a firearm. Also if someone knocks at the door I always grab one just in case

flb_78

Post by flb_78 »

dewayneward wrote:
I unholstered my hi-point 9mm and charged the weapon

You don't carry it ready to go? Think there will always be plenty of time to charge it when you need it?
http://www.AmarilloGunOwners.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

Recently I had a candid coversation with a "reformed" burgler/robber/home invasion "artist". (He just got out after 15 years - our Sen. Whitmire was instrumental in helping him get early release.)
The guy was really pleasent to talk to, and honest (about his history) at that.

I mean, we all might be talking to criminals now and then they just don't come out and tell you.

He told me his "crew's" M.O. was to get the cleanest looking member of the crew to ring the doorbell under the auspice of selling something to raise money for school -like magazines. If no one answered that was considered game for consideration of entry. Otherwise they waited for the "salesman's" report of who came to the door, what they could see in the house etc. to make an "educated" decision re: robbing the household.

He told me the only reason they got caught is because one of the crew "ratted" on them in exchange for a shorter sentence for a crime he committed without his "friends".

IMHO, the days of door to door sales are over.
At our there over for sure.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”