Travelling - interstate via airlines.. case?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Ken73
Posts in topic: 2

Travelling - interstate via airlines.. case?

Post by Ken73 »

I'm a travelling consultant, and as such I travel mostly outside of Texas (though I've had a few engagements inside of Texas, but they are rare.) Right now I'm just north of Philidelphia. Thankfully, the gun laws here are fairly lax, but I've been to a few other states where it isn't so (Minnesota comes to mind.) I'm in Florida every so often as well. (I need to get a separate FL CHL for there, correct?) I pretty much stay within the lower 48, so no international travel really.

How many of you on here have travelled (via airline) to another state that has reciprocity, with your guns? I've been looking at hard-sided cases, enough to fit at least two guns; I found one that REALLY concerned me that said it had "TSA" locks on it. I don't want the TSA peeping in my box of bangers; they can peep at it through the see-thru-um scope just fine, it'll be checked on and declared as is procedure. I'd like a nice box with a key lock (combinations can be figured out over time) but preferably my OWN lock rather than a built-in one. But, not too terribly expensive. I keep seeing the REALLY heavy duty ones at Bass Pro/Cabela's for $170+ which is a bit steep, but if that's what I have to pay, then so be it. Small price to pay for preventing the loss of my $800+ gun(s.)

Any thoughts/comments/experiences would be appreciated!

GeekwithaGun
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Travelling - interstate via airlines.. case?

Post by GeekwithaGun »

Here are a few resources:

Packing & the Friendly Skies - What You Need to Know About Flying With Firearms by Deviant Ollam
http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig10/ollam1.html

information on Reciprocity and State laws
http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Also, contact or review the airline policy on firearms and ammunition, not all are the same and can have other restrictions. I will be flying to Florida in the spring, there is reciprocity for the Texas CHL in Florida so I plan to carry and transport via air.
NRA Life Member

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

I'm also a consultant and travel outside of state from time to time.

When I go to a state with reciprocity, I pack my XD40 in a locked, hard carrying case, unloaded, with the ammo packed outside the carrying case. Note that many airlines require ammunition to be in the original box packaging and don't allow you to carry in loaded clips.

Most of the time I simply declare at the counter when I'm checking my luggage, fill out the orange declaration form, the attendant there asks me to open the case, they glance at the gun (they never pick it up) and put in the orange slip stating the gun has been declared. I've seen them either put it inside the case or in the suitcase itself. I don't really think that matters. Usually, that's all that's involved.

On two occasions I've had the TSA do an additional inspection. On neither of these inspections (which I witnessed) did they open my case. They swabbed the outside of the case, I assume checking for explosive residue though I'm not really sure, which strikes me as absurd as there's a firearm inside the case. That's government bureaucracy for you, though. On both occasions that was all that was involved.

As for Florida, my understanding is they recognize other states' CHL as long as you're a resident of the state which issued the CHL.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 5

Post by jimlongley »

These questions have been covered in multiple threads here, but it's always a good idea to go back over the salient points.

First, why would you skimp on security for your guns? When I inspected bags for the TSA I was always amazed at the cheap plastic boxes some people put their guns in.

Second, TSA regulations require you to have an unique lock, not a TSA lock, but one that ONLY YOU have the key or combination to.

Third, if TSA has to look at your guns because "the see-thru-um scope" thinks there is something hidden behind one, then they will open your gun box and it would be best if you were present with the key or combination.

Fourth, Yes, the airlines have a tendency to have different rules, but it's not real hard to find ouit what those rules are. TSA says you may have your ammo in clips AND MAGAZINES as long as certain conditions are met, and the ammo may be in the same box as the guns.

Research, research, research, and document, document, document. Take copies of each and all airlines' and TSA rules applicable to your trip on each trip, and always be prepared.
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

I use one of those triangular single gun cases when I travel. It has a place where you can put a regular pad lock on it.

Also, the declaration tag is supposed to be outside of your locked case, inside your suitcase. This way the TSA screeners know that the firearm has been declared properly without having you open the locked case.

you can check on the reciprocity of your chl at http://www.handgunlaw.us/.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

FlynJay wrote:Also, the declaration tag is supposed to be outside of your locked case, inside your suitcase. This way the TSA screeners know that the firearm has been declared properly without having you open the locked case.

you can check on the reciprocity of your chl at http://www.handgunlaw.us/.
Negative, TSA has no interest in declaration, per se, only that the gun is properly secured. The tag may be placed inside the gun case.

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

FlynJay wrote:...

Also, the declaration tag is supposed to be outside of your locked case, inside your suitcase. This way the TSA screeners know that the firearm has been declared properly without having you open the locked case.
Varies in practice. I've flown quite a lot with my gun(s) and usually the airline ticket agent tells me to put it inside the locking box with the gun (which makes no sense to me). Occasionally I've had the TSA inspector complain about that, but no hassle -- I told them the agent told me to do it, and they shrugged their shoulders. I've had the agent tell me to put it on top of the gun box inside my suit case -- and have then had a TSA inspector tell me that was wrong! But again, no real problems, they just x-ray the bag and off I go.

Containers -- I have expensive metal containers, and a cheaper plastic one, and as far as I am concerned the cheaper ones are the way to go, at least with handguns. A metal container can be walked off with as easily as a plastic one and be opened at the thief's leisure. A plastic one helps stay within baggage weight limits (which is important when wife and I travel together and we both have guns), and is still pretty hard to open on the spot in hurry if you have a decent lock (I have a big Master padlock that fits around the handles). In any case, only YOU should have the key or combo. Also, hang around while the TSA runs your suitcase thru the x-ray so if they want to open it, they don't have to chase you down. They've always done it quickly for me and sent me on my way.

Ammo -- some airlines follow the less stringent TSA rules, some make it more difficult by insisting on "manufacturer's packaging". I hate having to load and unload my magazines, so I just took 50-round cardboard ammo box from PMC, reinforced it with some tape, and I put my fully loaded magazines (up to four, or two and some speed strips) in it, put my "chamber round(s)" in with some padding so it doesn't rattle. Tape it shut and done. Air line happy, me happy. Then when I pick up my bag at the carousel, I go straight into the nearest restroom, into the stall, load and holster my gun, and I am ready to go.

Florida recognizes Texas CHLs. You should be good to go.

The only real problem you might have flying is you do NOT want to have to check a gun at one of New York City's airports -- they ignore federal law and arrest anyone with a gun who does not have a NY permit for it, and even then they have refused to let people with permits board. These cases eventually get thrown out, but you end up with hassle and lawyer bills. The NRA has some lawsuits going to bring them into compliance, but they haven't percolated all the way through the system yet. Stay in Free America and you should be good to go.
USAF 1982-2005

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

I have flown several times with my handgun. In every case someone has opened my locked box and looked at my weapon. One time in Providence RI I discussed the process with the ticket agent, and I was adamant that my bag had to go to TSA for screening. She said it did not and put it on the belt and sent me to my gate. About 20 minutes later they called my name over the loudspeaker and I had to find my way back to the ticket counter where I had a pleasant conversation with a man in a suit that identified himself has the TSA supervisor. After I gave him my combonation and explained what happend he went and did some on the spot training with the ticket agent.

My most interesting encounter was in Boston. There the ticket agent took me to a room where the TSA guys were and we opened the case together and everyone looked at my Kimber and complimented it.

FlynJay

Post by FlynJay »

Flying out of West Palm Beach, the gate agents have you wait at the ticket counter until the bag clears the X-ray machine, since they don't have visible TSA screening checked baggage. So plan on an extra 10 minutes.

When the machine was not working the agent told me to go to the gate but listen for any pages in case I was needed to open the case.

The first time I was carrying in Florida, I was involved in a minor fender bender (as a passenger) right out of the airport. Showed my CHL when asked for ID just as I would in Texas and the officer didn't even bat an eye, just a "I don't need to see that". +1 for West Palm PD.

Happy travels.
IANAL, what I write should not be taken as Legal Advice.
"Why I may disagree with what you say, I’ll fight to the death your right to say it."

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

FlynJay wrote: So plan on an extra 10 minutes.
This is good advice, also. Plan for some extra time when carrying a weapon. I'd say 10-15 minutes.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

Topic author
Ken73

Post by Ken73 »

I fly about 70% of the year for the last 4 years, so I'm no stranger to flying thankfully; I'm just confused on the method of checking the box in.

Does the tag need to be on the inside or outside? The link from above says inside, always.

Does anyone fly through Hobby? That's my primary airport for now;I don't remember seeing the secondary baggage screening; they just throw it on the belt there at the Southwest counter (which is usually who I fly, depending on where I go.)

I'm also reading where you can put a soft-side case inside your hard-sided (and locked) luggage. Right? Or should I just get a hard case and just check on the hard case with just the guns in it?

Definitely not using any kind of TSA lock; which is odd, I found a gun case with "TSA" locks on it. Defintiely going to get a heavy duty lock (probably the one from the link suggested above, or does anyone have an opinion on locks?)

Thanks for the replies so far; I definitely appreciate it.

ELB
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ELB »

Ken73 wrote:
Does the tag need to be on the inside or outside? The link from above says inside, always.
I don't know what "the rules" say, but I have been told to do it both ways by various ticket agents. Usually it is inside the gun box, but more than once I've been told to put it on top of the gun box (but inside the suitcase). Like I said above, TSA agents have commented on both ways, but it never caused me any problem. Of course if you are flying with a long gun, it generally is not inside a suitcase, so the declaration has to go inside.
Ken73 wrote: I'm also reading where you can put a soft-side case inside your hard-sided (and locked) luggage. Right? Or should I just get a hard case and just check on the hard case with just the guns in it?
Your gun has to be inside a hardsided, locked case, with you having the only key or combo. So yes, a hardsided suitcase with a lock could serve as the gun case, and you could put the gun in a soft case, or wrap it up in your underwear, or what-have-you. I use softsided luggage, so I always use a smaller hardsided gun box inside the suitcase.

If I understand your last line correctly --- I would not separately check a small gun case. Too attention-getting, too easy to walk off under someone's shirt. No rule against it, but strikes me as probably not a good idea from a practical standpoint.
USAF 1982-2005

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

Ken73 wrote:Does the tag need to be on the inside or outside? The link from above says inside, always.
Should be inside, but it's the airline ticket agent, not TSA, who is giving it to you and they vary greatly in education, interest, competence, and attitude. When I was with TSA the variation from agent to agent was marked and we used to refer passengers checking guns to the friendlier agents.
Ken73 wrote:I'm also reading where you can put a soft-side case inside your hard-sided (and locked) luggage. Right? Or should I just get a hard case and just check on the hard case with just the guns in it?
The rule is that the gun has to be inside a hard sided case, and that means it could even be loose in there.

Think about it this way, you are checking your shotgun for a flight down south to go dove hunting, and obviously the shotgun case is too long to fit inside a suitcase, and the shotgun is "loose" inside the case.

hirundo82

Post by hirundo82 »

I have flown with firearms a number of times. When checking handguns, I use a Pelican case secured with a padlock. Their 1150 case works well for two handguns.

Hobby is the easiest airport I've flown through in regards to checking handguns. They usually just ask to see the case, have you fill out the declaration card, and either put it on the outside of the case or have you put it inside (I just do as the ticket agent asks). They then just put it on the conveyor belt--they said their X-ray machine can tell if a gun is loaded or not.

IAH is more difficult--they make you wait for a TSA to come over and check your bag by hand, and physically show that the gun is unloaded.

CDH

Post by CDH »

I use a Pelican 1120 (squeezes in a Kahr CW9 and 2 mags, no more!)inside my luggage and 2 locks, one on each corner. It's tiny...so nothing bigger than my little Kahr is going to fit. It was like $25 at Academy. The next larger one is just over $40 IIRC.

I just came through Philly...no hassles (Continental) except waiting at the ticket counter for the baggage lady to walk my case back through TSA. 5 extra minutes, tops. The baggage handler in Corpus wanted to see it in the case, the folks in Philly didn't even ask to see the case in my luggage. Both put the red tag in my luggage beside the case.

As I understand it, the purpose to the TSA locks is to allow the TSA to open for inspection without cutting your lock. If you don't use a TSA lock, and they can't find you, yours gets cut and your luggage then stays unlocked for the rest of your trip. Not a good idea IMHO.
No damage control is ever as good as prevention.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”