CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
blu46and2
Posts in topic: 7

Just moved to TX

Post by blu46and2 »

Hello,
I just moved to TX and am a Florida concealed weapon permit holder. TX does have reciprocity with FL so I'm wondering if my permit is still good here if I have permanently moved to TX but still have an active FL license. thanks!

longtooth
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just moved to TX

Post by longtooth »

We do have reciprocity w/ Florida. Your permit is valid here.

Remember Florida is a conceal weapons permit.
Texas is a Concealed handgun permit.

You can carry some weapons in Florida that are not allowed here.

I am not the lawyer on the board.

Welcome to Texas.
LT
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Topic author
blu46and2

Post by blu46and2 »

Thanks for the reply. I just noticed on the handgunlaw.us site that when applying for a CWP in FL both the resident and non-resident applications are processed in the same way so that would make sense that even if I'm not a resident of FL but have a FL CWP it would be good in TX. OK, that being said what is the law in TX on other weapons, pocket knives for instance. I usually always carry one of those as well. Are they legal in TX?

shortysboy09

Post by shortysboy09 »

blu46and2 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I just noticed on the handgunlaw.us site that when applying for a CWP in FL both the resident and non-resident applications are processed in the same way so that would make sense that even if I'm not a resident of FL but have a FL CWP it would be good in TX. OK, that being said what is the law in TX on other weapons, pocket knives for instance. I usually always carry one of those as well. Are they legal in TX?
If I remember correct... The blade on the knife can't be over 4 inches long. Along with no switchblades ( Cannot open by push button or something of that type ) and butterfly knives. There also may be a restriction on the knife not being double edged. IANAL.
Disclaimer for all my posts: IANAL

My setup:

Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II or Bersa Thunder .380
Crossbreed Supertuck

NRA Member
TSRA Member

psehorne

Post by psehorne »

You will need this PDF file http://www.texaschllicense.com/document ... l-laws.pdf

Read GC 411.173 about non-residents
PC 46.01 Definitions ( of, for instance, knife, club, etc)
PC 46.02 Unlawful Carrying of Weapons

You should read the whole thing, of course. Many rules are intertwined with others and so should not be taken out of context .

Welcome to Texas
Paul

Springfield XD(M )9
Springfield XDsc9
Kel Tec PF9

09/16/2009: USPS Delivered Application, 11:52 am, AUSTIN
10/09/2009: Received Pin # in the mail, status 'processing application'
12/08/2009: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
12/14/2009: Plastic in hand

vinnier6

Post by vinnier6 »

i could be wrong, but if you are now a resident of texas, then your florida license is no longer valid....if you are just visiting, then yes your good to go, but now you are a resident of texas and need to complete the requirements to obtain your chl.....
CCW Glock 23 or 27 Milt Sparks VM2
11/11/09 class, online application complete
11/18/09 application mailed
11/24/09 processing application
12/11/09 background check complete, sent to print
12/19/09 application complete, license issued
12/24/09 plastic in hand

Topic author
blu46and2

Post by blu46and2 »

That's what I thought at first. But, even if you are a resident of TX you could apply for a FL, non-resident CWP and be fully legal in TX, correct? Or, am I reading this wrong?

chabouk
Banned

Post by chabouk »

vinnier6 wrote:i could be wrong, but if you are now a resident of texas, then your florida license is no longer valid.....
You're right: you're wrong. :mrgreen:

Lots of Texas residents (including some forum members here) legally carry with a Florida CWP instead of a Texas CHL. The law makes no distinction about residency: a Florida CWP is valid in Texas.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Welcome to the forum blu46and2! Glad to have you with us. :tiphat:

As you can see from the above posts, there is a wealth of information here on the forum, and a great bunch of people to get to know.

What part of this great State do you now reside? :txflag:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

blu46and2,

welcome to the forum and to TX. Are you a TOOL fan by chance?

:patriot:

koolaid

Post by koolaid »

Blades cannot be over 5 1/2 inches. No daggers or switchblades. Most assisted openers are now okay, but they must have a bias towards closure.

Keep in mind that some places in Texas have stricter laws than the state in general. San Antonio doesn't allow lockblade folders, for example.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

jmra

Post by jmra »

I don't know about Fl, but in TX if you move (if you are no longer living at the address on your CHL) you only have so many days to obtain new plastic with the corrected address. I bet FL is the same which would mean your FL CC will become invalid shortly.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

lil red

Post by lil red »

vinnier6 wrote:i could be wrong, but if you are now a resident of texas, then your florida license is no longer valid....if you are just visiting, then yes your good to go, but now you are a resident of texas and need to complete the requirements to obtain your chl.....
I never lived in Florida and my Florida license is perfectly valid in Texas.

DONT TREAD ON ME

Post by DONT TREAD ON ME »

As soon as you move you send your new address into DPS (or whoever handles CHL/CWP/CCW etc.). They change it in the system and print you out a nice new license. If you moved out of state it just becomes a non-resident license as opposed to a resiednt license. Thats all.

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

Florida does not have a resident/non-resident distinction. The only difference is the address from what I understand.

I encourage the O.P. to save a copy of the CHL handbook and learn it as well as keep on this site. One thing to remember as far as TX CHL is concerned is that they do not remove anything when the law changes. They simply add to the end of each section and such so read the entire section to know the law as is. Also, if you have a question then ask it if you cannot find it in the “Search” feature of this site. Obey the laws of the state you are in.

I would also encourage the O.P. to get a Texas CHL to support Texas CHL laws and lend your voice to the issue with Texas politicians.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”