Sitting in a restaurant.......

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Mike1951
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Sitting in a restaurant.......

Post by Mike1951 »

The only robbery I was in was over 40 years ago, along with two friends. The police showed up and ended it, but my friend still took a bullet through his calf from one of the police rounds, apparently a ricochet.

Things will never occur like you have them neatly worked out in your mind. It's good to think these things out in advance, but I would rather be in a restaurant with someone who has thought out as many options as possible other than the one where they are a hero.
Mike
AF5MS
TSRA Life Member
NRA Benefactor Member

stumpjumper_steve
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stumpjumper_steve »

I think I've seen this scenario played out a couple of times before. One in particular: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jmorris
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jmorris »

C-dub wrote:I don't know and am not trying to be sarcastic, but does anyone know of a case where there were multiple BGs and one or more did not reveal themselves once the robbery began? Do they really think that much about what they're doing? I think they may be stealthy about getting into position, but once the robbery has begun don't they always out themselves as BGs? I'm just thinking that they don't think about it this much. The guys that pull this kind of crime aren't really that smart.
Well, there was that episode of NUMB3RS....
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

jmorris

Post by jmorris »

Mike1951 wrote:And unless you are eating alone, you're going to draw fire to anyone near you: family, friends, etc.
See, they're all thinking that they're saving me the left hander's corner of the table but in reality it's the one that allows me to move away from the table!
Jay E Morris,
Guardian Firearm Training, NRA Pistol, LTC < retired from all
NRA Lifetime, TSRA Lifetime
NRA Recruiter (link)

android

Post by android »

Mike1951 wrote: BTW, you never can be sure there's only one BG. The other guy might have entered first and be standing behind you.
Well, not if you've chosen your table and position strategically. I'll ask a waiter for a specific booth or location if possible.

Andy if the place is totally packed, the chances of a walk in robbery are pretty low unless you're in Pulp Fiction

jmorris wrote: See, they're all thinking that they're saving me the left hander's corner of the table but in reality it's the one that allows me to move away from the table!
Ditto!! :mrgreen:

jmra

Post by jmra »

It would be hard for me to sit and do nothing and wait for someone to get hurt. Before getting my chl (living in N.O.) I placed myself In danger on more than one occasion to help others so I believe I would do the same now. One thing I can count on for sure - my expert shooting wife will have my back or should I say I would have her back. If that wasn't enough both the 9yr old and the 8yr old know exactly what to do with my LCP backup. The family that shoots together stays alive together.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Sitting around second guessing yourself while doing nothing and passing up clear shots will get the cashier killed. If they threaten your family after shooting the cashier but you no longer have a clear shot, what then?

In WWII, 6 million Jews died in concentration camps because everyone (Jews and good Germans alike) sat around second guessing themselves. If you have a clear shot and the chance to save the cashier's life, then TAKE THE SHOT. Lance Thomas (google him if you don't know him) put it best when he said, "My life is too valuable to negotiate with thugs." A murderer and thief PROMISES that he won't kill you if you pay him. Are you going to trust a MURDERER and THEIF to keep his promise? I would rather trust my ability to put a double tap in his COM. Once I see the thug brandish a gun or other deadly weapon, they've already indicated their willingness to kill.

Now, keep in mind that if the thug beats up the cashier with bare fists and runs off with the register, then I won't draw my weapon. No deadly weapon means the thug gets a pass on the lead poisoning. I'll use pepper spray to help the cashier in that case.

R_Comstock

Post by R_Comstock »

drjoker wrote:Sitting around second guessing yourself while doing nothing and passing up clear shots will get the cashier killed. If they threaten your family after shooting the cashier but you no longer have a clear shot, what then?

In WWII, 6 million Jews died in concentration camps because everyone (Jews and good Germans alike) sat around second guessing themselves. If you have a clear shot and the chance to save the cashier's life, then TAKE THE SHOT. Lance Thomas (google him if you don't know him) put it best when he said, "My life is too valuable to negotiate with thugs." A murderer and thief PROMISES that he won't kill you if you pay him. Are you going to trust a MURDERER and THEIF to keep his promise? I would rather trust my ability to put a double tap in his COM. Once I see the thug brandish a gun or other deadly weapon, they've already indicated their willingness to kill.

Now, keep in mind that if the thug beats up the cashier with bare fists and runs off with the register, then I won't draw my weapon. No deadly weapon means the thug gets a pass on the lead poisoning. I'll use pepper spray to help the cashier in that case.
Some very, very good points. :tiphat:
The name's Ross! :)
---
9/20/09 CHL Class
9/21/09 Application mailed
9/23/09 Application received
10/26/09 Letter from DPS: Missing copy of military orders
10/30/09 PIN Received by mail
11/26/09 Application completed
12/03/09 Plastic in hand
Glock 23, Ruger LCP
NRA Life/TSRA Member

majkowskid

Post by majkowskid »

hard to say what i'd do unless i was in the situation. every instance will have different circumstances. as soon as i see my life or someone else's life in imminent danger, it'd be hard not to act, but i'd have to have a very good chance for success before i'd act. i'm not abut to put more lives in danger if the situation wasn't right.
If anyone needs a deal on a gun safe, shoot me a pm or e mail! I have a "connection" :)

SouthEndXGF

Post by SouthEndXGF »

As I'm reading this, my thought is make sure you can get a really good bead on the BG before you decide to draw and shoot... I've never been shot myself, so I'm not sure how easy it would be to put me out of commission hitting me in a limb or grazing me... But if you miss or graze the BG, he could easily freak out and (by accident or on purpose) pull the trigger and make a bad day for your cashier pal. If the cashier is cooperating, maybe it's best to let the BG run away with the (insured) money, and not risk hurting the innocent.

Restaurants can be fairly large spaces... How far are you from the BG? 15 yds? more? Think back to your CHL qualification... When you had time to aim, fire, and think clearly. Did you score 50 points at 15 yards? Do you trust that you WILL remove his threat on your first shot? How about when your adrenaline is pumping, and you've got to get your gun up while sitting in a booth or exiting a booth, before the BG is alerted to you..

there are hundreds of variables here, but make sure if you're pulling your weapon that it's the absolute best decision.

:txflag:
If you find yourself in a fair firefight, your tactics suck.
Springfield XD9 Subcompact/Crossbreed Supertuck

1/19/10 Took CHL class
1/21/10 Packet mailed to DPS
1/28/10 Check cleared
2/12/10 Received PIN in the mail - Processing Application
2/18/10 Application Completed
2/22/10 Plastic in Hand!

SYMWAFA

Post by SYMWAFA »

Here is what happened to my CHL instructor:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=4000233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty level headed thinking, IMO.
Last edited by SYMWAFA on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

GatoNegro wrote:when suddenly a BG storms in gun in hand
I move to cover and engage the suspect. No brainer IMO. The sooner the better before he has some semblance of control over the scene. His intentions are quite clear when he is armed with a deadly weapon. I'm not going to be even more reactive in my response by waiting to see what he does with that gun.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Medic218

Post by Medic218 »

What does the law say about shooting an armed BG in the back? Not if he is leaving and is possibly no longer a
threat...but let say walkin around to get behind the register and passes you or is simply walking by you?
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
"Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- M218

Embalmo

Post by Embalmo »

SYMWAFA wrote:Here si what happened to my CHL instructor:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?secti ... id=4000233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty level headed thinking, IMO.
Best answer I've seen so far.
Husband and wife CHL team since 2009

rremt_p

Post by rremt_p »

Just my two cents,

If he's waving a gun around he's a threat, If I get an opportunity to shoot without endangering others I will do so.

If the situations escalates, he fires the gun, starts taking hostages, or moves towrd me. I will engage him. :fire

Problem here is there is a good chance of injuring an innocent bystander, if you start a gunfight. Thats the last thing I would ever want to happen.

Lastly if he's fleeing the scene without firing a shot I would let him go. Once again remember that every bullet you fire will have a lawyer attached to it. :txflag:
M&P 45 Compact
M-Tac Holster

Return to “New to CHL?”