Advice For Carrying in Particular Situations

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
karl
Posts in topic: 2

Advice For Carrying in Particular Situations

Post by karl »

Hello, just started carrying last week and I'm starting to learn my personal "Do's and Don'ts" and have a few questions:

What do you folks do about getting in and out of the car? I'm a pretty small guy and for comforts sake I take my 1911 out of my holster and stick it in the glove box until I reach my destination (digs into my back and hip; I best conceal at 4:30). What do you do about this? Add a small pillow to the lower back area?

Also, do any of you accept a limit on mobility (playing with a dog in public) because you're carrying or do you conceal in a way that is so comfortable that you can do just about anything?

These are just the questions I have at the moment, I'm sure I'll encounter more, thanks for the input.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

joe817

Re: Advice For Carrying in Particular Situations

Post by joe817 »

What do you folks do about getting in and out of the car?
I get in and out of the car, myself. :smilelol5: :lol: Seriously though, I don't have the difficulties that you face, because I carry a small gun on me at ALL times. Mobility is no problem what so ever in doing anything, for me. But then again I don't carry a large gun with me.

I'm sure all the folks who carry full size 1911's will chime in shortly. :tiphat:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Abraham »

Karl,

Every time you put your pistol into the glove box (or remove it) you chance someone seeing it.

Perhaps, a shoulder holster would help your situation. Or, a cross draw holster would be more comfortable while driving or exiting a car.

The constant action of removing and re-holstering is asking for a number of negative problems from theft out of the glove box to forgetting to re-holster and going about unarmed.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

The constant action of removing and re-holstering is asking for a number of negative problems from theft out of the glove box to forgetting to re-holster and going about unarmed.
:iagree: Karl, talk to the other folks here and get their input. You may need to change holsters to get the comfort you need while carrying.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Shorts

Post by Shorts »

I'm small and carry a Commander IWB. I'm aware of how I move in order to minimize the chance of displaying all the glory. Stepping up into the truck is the main one in public along with reaching or stooping for items on store shelves. If we're somewhere outdoors where physical activity is involved I stand with carry side away from the crowd. If its a contact anything I either don't play or don't carry. It depends on each situation what I do and how I feel.

For driving keep it holstered. I'll be addressing this by installing a seat holster or some kind so I have the option to put it there while driving.
Don't Mess with Texas Women

2/15/09 - Class Date
3/18/09 - PIN Assigned, Processing App
8/07/09 - Plastic in hand

USA1

Post by USA1 »

karl , I know just what you mean.

After trying different holsters and carry positions , the best thing that works for me is to carry at 3 o'clock (right handed).
you may lose a little concealability , but you gain a lot in the comfort factor .

Sitting in a car or a chair is no longer uncomfortable to me. I also find that I can draw very easily while buckled in
a seat belt .

That's just my opinion . ;-)
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

randomoutburst

Post by randomoutburst »

This is something I thought might be useful should you want to carry crossdraw, OWB, and also need comfort for driving.
http://www.lonestarholsters.com/store/1 ... uct/FIST42

stumpjumper_steve

Post by stumpjumper_steve »

karl wrote:Also, do any of you accept a limit on mobility (playing with a dog in public) because you're carrying or do you conceal in a way that is so comfortable that you can do just about anything?
Baggy shirts pretty much take care of this.

BTW...nice Specialized logo. MTB or roadie?

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I like paddle holsters that can easily be repositioned forward or back depending on sitting or standing.

My activity level will depend on how well concealed I am. If I'm going to be playing with one of my dogs in public I'll have something that is a little longer and not as light. I have a photographers vest that works great because I can carry different toys, treats, leashes in the different pockets. It is one size larger than I would normally wear so I can wear it in the winter over a jacket. Even in the summer I don't think anyone really pays any attention to it because I'm playing with a dog. People that have dogs sometimes think it's a cool idea and those that don't just think I'm crazy for having such a crazy dog and pay almost no attention to me at all.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

Unholstering and reholstering at every stop is definitely a bad idea.

You didn't say what holster you're using. A different one might give you greater comfort. An outside the waistband holster worn under a jacket or vest is very practical and comfortable in cooler weather. The right holster makes a big difference, and almost no one finds the right holster with the first purchase. It takes a bit of experimenting.

Holster material makes a difference too. Those who are sensitive to the rigidity of kydex often do better with leather.
Thin kydex is also more comfortable than thick kydex.

Carry position is also important. You might experiment with moving the holster position back to 5:00 to place the gun more parallel to your back to reduce pressure between the seat and gun.

I don't favor either crossdraw or shoulder holsters. In a close encounter from the front, it's extremely easy for an opponent to capture the gun arm against the wearer's body during the draw stroke and render the weapon unusable while the BG finishes what he came to do. It also often exposes the gun to people in front or to the side of the wearer anytime the overgarment hangs away from the body as it will when getting up, sitting down, etc.

Maintaining concealment while bending down generally requires one to keep the back straight and bending the knees instead of the waist in the manner shown on safety posters for how to lift heavy objects.

If you have friends who carry the same gun you do, you might ask to borrow and try a couple of the ones they're not using before you buy. Every one of them has a box or drawer with at least several they tried and found wanting for them, but that might work for you.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Topic author
karl

Post by karl »

stumpjumper_steve wrote: BTW...nice Specialized logo. MTB or roadie?
2007 Stumpjumper FSR Comp ;-)

I put the cant forward almost as far as it can go and went for 3:00. It's working so far, had a small bruise on my hip from when I first started with this position but now it's starting to feel comfortable.

Thanks for the input, no more unholstering. Now I can carry in relative comfort.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all. I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the atmosphere. -Thomas Jefferson

stumpjumper_steve

Post by stumpjumper_steve »

karl wrote:
stumpjumper_steve wrote: BTW...nice Specialized logo. MTB or roadie?
2007 Stumpjumper FSR Comp ;-)

I put the cant forward almost as far as it can go and went for 3:00. It's working so far, had a small bruise on my hip from when I first started with this position but now it's starting to feel comfortable.

Thanks for the input, no more unholstering. Now I can carry in relative comfort.
Very cool. I'm still on a 04 Stumpy FSR Elite. I'd "upgrade" but it rides like a dream.

ELB

Post by ELB »

The more you fiddle with the gun, the more opportunities you have to do something you didn't mean to, or didn't mean to be seen doing. Best policy is to holster it in the morning, unholster it at night, and don't take it out in between unless somebody needs shootin'.

I carry a hi power, which is service pistol size, almost as big as a 1911, in a comp-tac tuckable IWB just behind my right hip. Rides comfortably, stays put, I can draw while buckled in, and I play with the dog and the horse and do a number of other active things without much problem.
USAF 1982-2005

mctowalot

Post by mctowalot »

Just a suggestion for the new carriers here.

We have "nightstand" style safes designed for securing a pistol in our vehicles. They have a cable attached to them and the other end locks around the seat frame.

Please note I'm aware it would be possible for someone to unbolt the seat, etc. but that takes time that your average smash and grab thief doesn't want to spend. I'm not looking for a debate here just sharing for those that are interested.

My point is that rather than adjust a holster everytime I'm getting in or out the car or truck I've got a dedicated pistol for each vehicle.

The only time the pistol goes in the safe is when the vehicle will be parked out of sight for any length of time - otherwise it's stashed in a spot that it can be grabbed in an instant, but not in a manner thats obvious from outside (like between the seats with the grip sticking up slightly and covered with a washcloth).

My personal experiance is that this provides a much smoother entry and exit, and considering some of the most recent bad guy tactics involving attacking their victims either upon exit or entry of a vehicle I think this might shave off a few cruical moments off of getting a gun in your hand when you really need it.

Of course this is just my humble opinion, I don't claim to be an expert, just a fellow CHL holder who refuses to be a victim.

Of course some of those side mounted flame throwers would be nice too :txflag:

lonewolf

Post by lonewolf »

Unfortunately, the option of a weapon for each vehicle is not practical for me. I wish it were. I have trained myself to crossdraw and with the weapon on the left, it really isn't problem entering or exiting the vehicle. In addition, since I am right handed, I found myself bumping the weapon far more often when I carried on the right. I won't conjecture as to why. What I do know is that with it cross draw at 9:00 or so, I hardly notice its there, and that says a lot for a Beretta 92G Centurion. Not exactly a compact weapon.

Experimentation is key. Try different methods and see what works best for you. There are some mighty good suggestions all the way around in here.

Return to “New to CHL?”