my chl class, is this normal?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Zee
Posts in topic: 1

Re: my chl class, is this normal?

Post by Zee »

My instructor was live, in-person but equally useless. He was paranoid and offered his endless Dale Gribble theories of govt and "liberal moles" in his class. He paced around with a gun in a holster and one down the front of his pants. I thought about saying something to DPS but was afraid they might nullify my 10 hour class time with him.
80% Liberal, 90% Democrat, 100% Responsible gun owner.

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative. John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

Jesus was a Jewish Liberal

psehorne
Posts in topic: 2

Post by psehorne »

der Teufel wrote:The one thing, however, that he did not mention and I wish he had, was that veteran's paid a reduced fee. I didn't know that until after I'd paid. I suppose that's not strictly considered course material, but I could have saved a few bucks if I'd known about that.
That's what can happen when one doesn't thoroughly read the instructions for filling out the applications. :rules:
Paul

Springfield XD(M )9
Springfield XDsc9
Kel Tec PF9

09/16/2009: USPS Delivered Application, 11:52 am, AUSTIN
10/09/2009: Received Pin # in the mail, status 'processing application'
12/08/2009: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
12/14/2009: Plastic in hand

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

I took my class at DFW Gun Range, and I was actually impressed. Yes, he drilled the test answers into us, but it was obvious he wanted us to all pass... and each time, he would either give examples or a story as to why that answer was correct, not just give us the answer and move on. He seemed genuinely interested in having us learn all we could. He did a great job and was pretty funny to boot.

And he was EXTREMELY safe in the range, and got us all in and out as quickly as possible.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

psehorne

Post by psehorne »

PeteCamp wrote:It seems we always hear about bad instructors and classes. I want to put in a good word for the class I took
I also had a very good instructor. For those of you in North Texas who have yet to take your CHL class or have acquaintances who will be taking the class, you should find, as I did, that Mark Payne - http://www.onthemarkchl.com/index.html conducts a very informative class. Being a former LEO he had some good stories to tell. I took my class on Sept 12th and Mark was up to date on the rule changes that had just gone into effect two weeks earlier. Mark is a funny guy and made the class very enjoyable as well informative.
Paul

Springfield XD(M )9
Springfield XDsc9
Kel Tec PF9

09/16/2009: USPS Delivered Application, 11:52 am, AUSTIN
10/09/2009: Received Pin # in the mail, status 'processing application'
12/08/2009: Application Completed - license issued or certificate active
12/14/2009: Plastic in hand

stumpjumper_steve

Post by stumpjumper_steve »

My class was pretty terrible, as well. Out of 10 hours we spent probably 4 waiting for people to shoot, waiting for people to get printed, waiting for people to get photos, slowly filling out application paperwork, etc. The rest of the time was mostly the instructor trying to impress people with lame stories and silly tactical drawing, and watching him browse the internet for videos and what not. He also gave out quite a bit of advice that was terrible for people who are new to guns.

I spent most of the class reading the handbook and was the first one to finish and got a 100%. Some people were really struggling to even finish it.

Thankfully, we have the internet.
You and I must have been in the same class. Youtube videos doesn't exactly qualify "exacting training" to me. Thank God for the military who taught me to shoot and thank this forum for pointing me in the direction for outstanding study material regarding the legal aspect of CHL.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Both my original and renewal instructors were excellent.

No matter the vocation, be it a CHL instructor, doctor or car mechanic, they range from great to terrible.

ELB

Post by ELB »

My wife and I have had CHL courses from Sammy Miller in San Antonio and Mike McCann in Seguin. Both peace officers, both did very good jobs. I have some beefs with the test and some of the curriculum -- like why bother with test questions on administrative trivia on how many times your license can be revoked before being suspended? (or whatever that silly question was) - - this is stuff you could look up when you need it. The class needs to focus on what you need to have instant recall on --- use of force stuff, 30.06 issues, not administrivia. I suppose you should know you have renew every five years and do a change of address if you move, but beyond that --- look it up!

But Sammy and Mike did good jobs, I've seen them both in more than one class. That instructor in the OP needs to be de-instructorized.
USAF 1982-2005

Topic author
tauruspt145
Posts in topic: 5

Post by tauruspt145 »

thanks mike1951 and excalibur for the info on updates. And thanks to everyone for there input so far and opions on the subject. I just wouldnt want someone who has no buisness carrying a gun skating by thru this class and making a bad name for us honest gun totin people.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

ELB wrote:My wife and I have had CHL courses from Sammy Miller in San Antonio and Mike McCann in Seguin. Both peace officers, both did very good jobs. I have some beefs with the test and some of the curriculum -- like why bother with test questions on administrative trivia on how many times your license can be revoked before being suspended? (or whatever that silly question was) - - this is stuff you could look up when you need it. The class needs to focus on what you need to have instant recall on --- use of force stuff, 30.06 issues, not administrivia. I suppose you should know you have renew every five years and do a change of address if you move, but beyond that --- look it up!

But Sammy and Mike did good jobs, I've seen them both in more than one class. That instructor in the OP needs to be de-instructorized.
Yes, the test was STUPID! But that's not the instructor's fault. The OP's instructor should absolutely be reported.
My instructor(s) were somewhat unorganized, as one was delayed due to LEO duties he didn't expect. And that delayed us, and broke up the continuity of the classroom. Also, I had an outdated pamphlet, and a test that was missing the last page. And also incomplete instructions to the shooting range which delayed things even further... But other than that, all went well. :banghead:
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

My CHL instructor generally did a good job on classroom content, shooting
instruction, fine points of law, and such.

But we had a couple (boyfriend/girlfriend) who were sharing a Glock 9mm for
the course. He was OK with their gun, but in one of the practice sessions before
the final, I counted only about 37 shots anywhere on her target,
after firing 50 rounds.

When it came time for the range session to determine pass or fail, I don't think
she did any better with that Glock. But she passed the course anyway.

Contrast her with the guy in our class who was shooting a 1911 and he was envied
by all the other class members since he had one small jagged hole in the middle of his
target that was caused by a tight 50 round group.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

asahi1234

Post by asahi1234 »

Its amazing some people can get away with teaching something like this so hapazordly. I would have to ask him is his training on par with what DPS requires?

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Zoe, sorry you had to sit through that. Dale Dribble, eh? You're too nice. I would've played a prank on him. Paranoid shizophrenics are soo.... easy to freak out :lol:

Now, I'm glad that I took a ritzy class at a local range instead of one of those el cheapo CHL classes. I found a coupon for $85 chl class if I were to take it in DECEMBER at an OUTDOOR range! brrr...!

I'd rather be at a toasty indoor range and classroom at dfwgun.com . The instructor was O.K. He basically taught the test and covered all the legal stuff.

Why don't they cover the NRA gun safety rules? (1. don't point at anyone 2. assume gun is loaded, etc.) Why don't they cover gun shooting basics? (Trigger control, weaver stance, etc). That's why I always teach my female friends the NRA safety rules and handgun shooting basics before I send them to the chl class.

boomerang

Post by boomerang »

drjoker wrote:Why don't they cover the NRA gun safety rules? (1. don't point at anyone 2. assume gun is loaded, etc.) Why don't they cover gun shooting basics? (Trigger control, weaver stance, etc). That's why I always teach my female friends the NRA safety rules and handgun shooting basics before I send them to the chl class.
If they teach the things they're supposed to teach about the law, nonviolent dispute resolution, etc. there's not a lot of time to teach remedial handgunning in a 10 hour class, but maybe in a 15 hour class. Not that most video junkies teach a full curriculum, but there are lazy and incompetent people in every profession.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

koolaid
Posts in topic: 4

Post by koolaid »

boomerang wrote: If they teach the things they're supposed to teach about the law, nonviolent dispute resolution, etc. there's not a lot of time to teach remedial handgunning in a 10 hour class, but maybe in a 15 hour class. Not that most video junkies teach a full curriculum, but there are lazy and incompetent people in every profession.
50% of the time is waiting for the class to get fingerprinted, do their shooting test, getting forms signed, getting photos, etc.

I'm pretty sure that isn't what was intended with the 10 hour requirement, but that's how it is.
01/02/2010 - Plastic

lancermit

Post by lancermit »

Well, I'm sorry for any of you who had a bad experience with your CHL classes. Nothing sucks more than to have to sit through some sort of class that blows!

I'm glad to say, however, that I thought my class was VERY well done! Organized, easy to follow, informative, and humorous -- all while covering the needed material, and more. Husband and wife, Ross & Dottie Bransford made an excellent instructional duo. And, the shooting portion was conducted in a serious, no-frills, professional manner as well. Ross commanded the attention that a competent range master should.

I walked away from the course feeling very satisfied. I would have a hard time making suggestions for improvement to their course.

As for what to do about the OP's instructor... I would definitely 'report' him... to someone. At the very least, spread the word about how crappy YOU thought the class was. I would feel CHEATED if I had that kind of experience for MY class.
“You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.” -Al Capone

http://www.lonestarguntraining.com

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”