September 2009 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

redrockx
Posts in topic: 10

Re: September 2009 Applications

Post by redrockx »

koolaid wrote:
redrockx wrote:
heck, i STILL have not found a decent holster for a Beretta PX4 SC. I keep looking, just not finding.
If you google for Beretta PX4 SC holsters there are a few forum hits on the first page that have links to places that are making holsters.

This thread might be a decent place to start looking if you haven't already seen it.[/quote]
I ordered one (IWB) from a leather man in Azle, but it will be 8 weeks (hand made, about 65$)... and my shoulder holster SUCKS.
i'm half tempted to just tuck it in the pants... its actually not that bad at about 4 o'clock.

and as i figured, my plastic was waiting on the counter when i got home... :thumbs2: looks like i get to take the wifey out for dinner, maybe do the wally walk (no pics) just a casual stroll and i should be good and covered (its COLD).

so, all you September folks say hello out in the big boys forum... :biggrinjester:
RedrockX
CHL LEGAL
Beretta PX4 SC 9mm w/Viridian C5L
Beretta 92FS
Ruger P89
Howa .308 Sniper Rifle
Colt Sportster AR15
Marlin 60 (twins) .22 plinkers

Topic author
jsimmons
Banned
Posts in topic: 32

Post by jsimmons »

ES4Me wrote:Congrats to those of you who have had nice surprises in your mailbox or on the DPS website.

jsimmons and anyone else still hanging on from September.....we will all have to do a group Wally Walk together in celebration when we finally get out plastic! In defiance...which is the closest Wally World to the DPS processing offices??? :waiting:

Hubby got his plastic the other day and his was sent in weeks after mine. :grumble
I wasn't planning a Wally Walk. I'm too annoyed about this whole thing anyway. Asking about the status via email is pointless. Asking for help from your state representative is pointless. Expecting people to just do their jobs is pointless. Expecting governmental response in a timely fashion is pointless.

I was reading the CHL regulations regarding processing time, and these little nuggets in section 411.177:

(b) The department shall, not later than the 60th day after the date of receipt by the director's disgnee of the completed application material:
(1) Issue the license
(2) Notify the applicant in writing that the application was denied (and the reason for denial)
(3) Notify the applicant in writing that the department is unable to issue or deny (and the reason)
(c) Failure of the department to issue or deny a license for a period of more than 30 days after the department is required to act under Subsection (b) constitutes denial.

In other words, if you complain too loudly, they can just put your application in their "troublemaker" stack, and after day 90, they invoke subsection C - apparently without notifying you - at all. Not taxpayer friendly in the least.

At the very most, they aren't following subsection b3 where they have to tell you on the 60th day what the holdup is. They simply don't do that. You have to harangue them into a response.
Took class, paid fees, changed my mind. I want constitutional carry.

ES4Me
Posts in topic: 44

Post by ES4Me »

ammo two wrote:Plastic in hand!!

I am a happy CHL holder now. Ms AmmoTwo said as she handed me the envelope "It's time for your Wally Walk!". She was quite excited to see that it came today as well.
CONGRATULATIONS! How did THE WALK go?
CHL Class - 08/22/09
App Mailed to DPS - 09/16/09
Recv'd by DPS - 09/17/09
Processing App - 11/11/09
Plastic in Hand - 12/26/09

ES4Me

Post by ES4Me »

jsimmons wrote: I wasn't planning a Wally Walk. I'm too annoyed about this whole thing anyway. Asking about the status via email is pointless. Asking for help from your state representative is pointless. Expecting people to just do their jobs is pointless. Expecting governmental response in a timely fashion is pointless.

Hate to hear you sounding so pessimistic about the whole thing. Of course, I am the one who came home from "accessory" shopping this evening and told my hubby I don't know why I am bothering to waste my time and $$ as the state obviously has decided they don't like the way I dot my i's and cross my t's.

Oh well...will just have to be happy carrying in my vehicle and around my home and hope for the best.

I think legally, the DPS got to reset your clock when they rejected your pics. Any time they reject anything, they get to reset their clock and extend your wait. I have to wonder if it is cumulative? If they get to reset 60 days each time they reject something, I could be up to 180 days plus the original 60! :eek6

Hang in there.....as people like to remind me, Texas is a shall issue state and they will eventually send you your plastic if there is nothing in your background to dictate otherwise. I know....rather hollow words right now, but I have to have faith that something positive will eventually happen!
CHL Class - 08/22/09
App Mailed to DPS - 09/16/09
Recv'd by DPS - 09/17/09
Processing App - 11/11/09
Plastic in Hand - 12/26/09

ammo two

Post by ammo two »

ES4Me wrote:
ammo two wrote:Plastic in hand!!

I am a happy CHL holder now. Ms AmmoTwo said as she handed me the envelope "It's time for your Wally Walk!". She was quite excited to see that it came today as well.
CONGRATULATIONS! How did THE WALK go?
ES4Me, I've not been able to get out of the house yet. Had ear surgery yesterday and I am a bit under the weather...but as soon as I can get these bandages off I will definitely be out there. Hoping for middle of the week at the latest.

ExMarlboroMan
Posts in topic: 33

Post by ExMarlboroMan »

Congratulations ammo two!!!

And hang in there jsimmons, I'm still here waiting with you!
:txflag:
NRA Member
"Don't retreat, just reload!"- Sarah Palin
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same...

Topic author
jsimmons
Banned
Posts in topic: 32

Post by jsimmons »

ES4Me wrote:
jsimmons wrote: I wasn't planning a Wally Walk. I'm too annoyed about this whole thing anyway. Asking about the status via email is pointless. Asking for help from your state representative is pointless. Expecting people to just do their jobs is pointless. Expecting governmental response in a timely fashion is pointless.
I think legally, the DPS got to reset your clock when they rejected your pics. Any time they reject anything, they get to reset their clock and extend your wait. I have to wonder if it is cumulative? If they get to reset 60 days each time they reject something, I could be up to 180 days plus the original 60! :eek6
Well, you have to assume they had a valid reason for rejecting the photos in the first place, but they didn't - it was a random rejection. Beyond that, photos are NOT necessary to conduct background checks. I've gone through DOZENS of background checks for security clearances, and never once have they requested a photo of any description. The only thing the photo is used for is putting on the license itself. So resetting my receipt time because of rejected photos is bogus, if they did in fact do that.
ES4Me wrote:Hang in there...
I really have no choice but to. The part of this that angers me is that it's completely out of my hands, and there's NOTHING I can do to speed the process along. I absolutely hate the fact that I have no influence or control over a process that is so obviously broken that I'm surprised more people aren't downright indignant over the whole thing. There's absolutely no accountability on the part of the DPS. They can sit on their thumbs as long as they like and claim "we're waiting on the background check", and there's no way to check it out on our own, short of trying to coerce the truth out of their employees who don't really give a steaming pile of solidified bull methane about whether we ever get our license or not.

The head of steam I'm building up further pushes on my anger that I have to buy my 2nd amendment rights back from the state to begin with. Personally, I'd rather open-carry for all the world to see, negating the need for a CHL at all.
Took class, paid fees, changed my mind. I want constitutional carry.

ammo two

Post by ammo two »

jsimmons wrote: Asking for help from your state representative is pointless. Expecting people to just do their jobs is pointless. Expecting governmental response in a timely fashion is pointless.
There have been posts by others who have contacted their Representative and had very favorable results. It may help yours too, after all, there isn't much else you can do so go ahead and use that guy that got elected to help you.

I remember while on active duty. When someone, be it parent or whoever, got their Congressman involved to look into the actions of a military unit involving their specific soldier, that soldier's unit had 24 hours to get a response back up the Chain of Command. It is a pretty big deal, causes lots of stress at the unit level whether they are in the right or wrong. It becomes priority number one for all those involved and their utmost attention is focused on that Congressional. I don't know just how much stress is caused within DPS when a Representative gets involved, but it sounds like they get some pretty quick answers. You might want to go this route at this point.

Chasjr1
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Chasjr1 »

LarryH wrote:
Chasjr1 wrote:After several emails back and forth with the Texas DPS, I received this in an email this afternoon,

"The license is being printed. You should receive it within 2-3 weeks."

This is encouraging..

Now comes the mailbox wait.

Only thing is, the status on the website has not changed yet.
The status will not change until the card comes back from the printer and is checked for accuracy. It WILL change when the card is mailed.

Well.... After another email sent by me, I got this response from the Texas DPS,

"Your application is complete and your license was mailed on 12/7/09. Please allow time for delivery. Thank you and have a nice day."

We'll see....

ammo two

Post by ammo two »

Chasjr1 wrote:
"Your application is complete and your license was mailed on 12/7/09. Please allow time for delivery. Thank you and have a nice day."

We'll see....
That's sounds like some good news. Congrats!!

Chasjr1

Post by Chasjr1 »

I sure hope so.

Chasjr1

Post by Chasjr1 »

I think I'm one of the last of the September applicants to finally get this,

"Application Completed - license issued or certificate active".

I'm stoked...

ExMarlboroMan
Posts in topic: 33

Post by ExMarlboroMan »

76 days and still waiting!
NRA Member
"Don't retreat, just reload!"- Sarah Palin
I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same...

ChrisSA
Posts in topic: 5

Post by ChrisSA »

Ok, I've been a lurker to this point. I originally took my class on Sep 26th and sent my package in on Sept 28th. The lady who taught my CHL class forgot to give us a form (the one that asked if you'd ever had mental problems) so they sent it back to me in mid October and I sent it back the next day. They quickly changed my online status back to "processing application". As of today it still says processing application. I've emailed them twice and both time they say that they are waiting on the FBI to finish it's background investigation. I'm career military and I have had numerous in depth back ground checks for my job. I've never had anything more than a speeding ticket in my entire life. Being military I have moved around some but the majority of my career has been at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. What is the deal? Should I call the FBI and ask what the problem is? Should I call my state rep and ask for help? Should I just have more patience? It is getting frustrating to see all the people who sent in their apps at the end of Oct get approved and I am still waiting. It is just frustrating that I've avoided trouble my entire life and now for some reason its taking forever to do my background check.

Thanks and this board rocks,
Chris
CHL Class - 26 Sept
Mailed CHL Packet - 28 Sept
Returned due to missing document - 20 October
Mailed back - 21 October
Processing - 28 October
Approved - 11 December
Received - ?????

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Keith B »

ChrisSA wrote:Ok, I've been a lurker to this point. I originally took my class on Sep 26th and sent my package in on Sept 28th. The lady who taught my CHL class forgot to give us a form (the one that asked if you'd ever had mental problems) so they sent it back to me in mid October and I sent it back the next day. They quickly changed my online status back to "processing application". As of today it still says processing application. I've emailed them twice and both time they say that they are waiting on the FBI to finish it's background investigation. I'm career military and I have had numerous in depth back ground checks for my job. I've never had anything more than a speeding ticket in my entire life. Being military I have moved around some but the majority of my career has been at Lackland AFB in San Antonio. What is the deal? Should I call the FBI and ask what the problem is? Should I call my state rep and ask for help? Should I just have more patience? It is getting frustrating to see all the people who sent in their apps at the end of Oct get approved and I am still waiting. It is just frustrating that I've avoided trouble my entire life and now for some reason its taking forever to do my background check.

Thanks and this board rocks,
Chris
Welcome to the forum Chris and thanks for the compliment. :tiphat:

Calling the FBI will do no good. I would contact your State Representatives and see if their office can inquire what the delay is. Many times that gets the application moving. :thumbs2:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”