Poll: Reasons you have not gotten a CHL?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

If you would like to have a CHL, but haven't applied, why?

Cost ($140 initial; $70 renewal)
33%
Required class time (10hr. initial; 4 hr. renewal)
12%
Too many areas where CHL's can't carry their guns
12%
Don't know how to go about getting one
4%
Other
39%

Total votes: 275

boomerang
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Poll: Reasons you have not gotten a CHL?

Post by boomerang »

:thumbs2:

Make sure you send all the documentation DPS wants for applicants born outside the US.
"Ees gun! Ees not safe!"

sawdust
Posts in topic: 1

Post by sawdust »

Reason I do not have my CHL (yet):

Had to send in 2nd set of prints, several weeks after initial application, because "the FBI could not find a match".

I have been relying on incorrect assumptions over the years. I always thought that it was a "good thing" not to be in the FBI files.?! :coolgleamA: :headscratch

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

AndyC wrote:Well, it was a long course but interesting. Got 100 on the written part and here's my 50-round target (excuse all the splatters, it's lube from my cast-bullets - I'll need to get a harder lube):

I'll be sending off the packet as soon as I can remember all my addresses in the past 5 years :mrgreen:
The silhouette isn’t used anymore? And they let you keep your target? It’s been about two years since I did my last renewal.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

joe817
Posts in topic: 3

Post by joe817 »

Yes, regs call for using the standard B-27 target. it comes in 4 colors.....I think Andy just cut off the head in the pic. :lol:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

mgood
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mgood »

Still broke. :grumble
Of course, that's largely due to the fact that I bought three guns this year and one last year, and got into competitive shooting, which eats up large chunks of the budget in ammo costs.

drjoker
Banned

Post by drjoker »

Get off your butts and apply! People, the government looks at the number of people who
1. are members of the NRA and
2. are CHL holders
before they instigate any new gun bans, they look at these things. If there are over 10 million NRA members in the US and if there are over 10% of the Texas population are CHL holders, then we cannot be ignored politically.

Even if you live in a "safe" neighborhood and don't need to carry, I invite you to get a CHL in order to protect your constitutional rights. Besides, I had to wait 9 months for my license. If you need it in a hurry in the future (who can tell the future?), then you'll already have it. I mean, can you imagine waiting 9 months for a CHL to arrive in the mail when you're being stalked? A co-worker of mine is being stalked and she inquired about a CHL but was disappointed in the wait time involved. She ended up quitting a cushy 6 figure job in management to work at a crappier job pulling nightshifts for much lower pay because she had to move suddenly to get away from her stalker.

USA1

Post by USA1 »

drjoker wrote:Get off your butts and apply! People
:iagree:
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

Charles, what's the current "score"?
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

TLE2

Post by TLE2 »

btw, IMHO, if it's:

Cost - that's subjective, but it's a lot less than the cost of a decent firearm.

Class time - I don't know about others, but Charles Cotton's class was entertaining, informative and "makeable" even though at the time I worked until 5:00PM in Galveston.

CHL bans in certain areas - CHL should be universal, but it's not. But you can still carry most places, except at my work. :banghead:

Don't know how - Google "Texas CHL", you'll get many hits. Or ask on this forum.

:txflag:
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

vrentropy

Post by vrentropy »

I Ain't been in the state long enough yet.

And I need a bottom feeder.

If it were multi-choice, I woulda marked cost too, but that is less of a factor.
/**********************/
Don

"It's not always about winning. Sometimes, it's about what you learn." - Taos artist Ken O'Neil

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 13

Post by seamusTX »

vrentropy wrote:I Ain't been in the state long enough yet.
A couple of days is long enough. You just have to be able to prove your residency. For practical purposes, you need a Texas driver license or state ID.

The cost of a Texas CHL is not trivial; but when you need a weapon, you would be willing to pay every penny you own to have one.

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

Reasons I've heard you dont need or want a CHL

IF you shoot someone they are MORE likely to send you to jail
IF you get pulled over they can search you and do a breathalyzer
You cant ever be drunk even unarmed with a CHL (what?) but I've heard it
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”