Dog shooter of the week

Topics that do not fit anywhere else. Absolutely NO discussions of religion, race, or immigration!

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
seamusTX
Posts in topic: 66

Re: Dog shooter of the day

Post by seamusTX »

Sandpoint, Idaho (middle of nowhere), October 19, a man allegedly shot his neighbor's dangerous attack Pomeranian for barking. :roll:

The alleged shooter was arrested and charged with misdemeanor cruelty to an animal.

http://www.bonnercountydailybee.com/art ... 455907.txt" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim
Fear, anger, hatred, and greed. The devil's all-you-can-eat buffet.

Topic author
seamusTX

Re: Dog shooter of the week

Post by seamusTX »

Chardon, Ohio (northeast, but basically the middle of nowhere), November 10 -- A bowhunter allegedly shot and killed a black Labrador hunting dog that was a valuable stud. The rest of the story is pretty complicated.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2009/11 ... ion_a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those pesky deer disguising themselves as dogs ... what are you going to do?

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Waverly, Illinois (central, but basically the middle of nowhere), yesterday -- A woman reported that a supposed hunter fatally shot her Australian shepherd dog while she was walking the dog on her property around 3:14 p.m.

http://www.myjournalcourier.com/news/wo ... unter.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Sultan, Washington (western edge of nowhere), October 30 -- A man allegedly killed his Saint Bernard dog at an airfield, shot a rifle at a responding police officer, and then shot himself.

He survived his injuries and is being held with $1.5 million bail.

http://heraldnet.com/article/20091121/NEWS01/711219934" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Pine Ridge, Pennsylvania (Philadelphia area), Saturday, a 10-month-old English bulldog puppy got loose. A security guard employed by the subdivision tried to catch the dog, then fatally shot it when he was unable to catch it.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.d ... /911270374" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Medon, Tennessee (middle of nowhere), Wednesday, two family dogs escaped from their property. One returned shot in the leg but it expected to recover. The other is missing.

In October, the father of the family was fatally shot by two teenage thugs while working.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/article/20091 ... amily+shot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Palmer, Massachusetts (south central), November 13, a man was sentenced to two years probation for shooting two dogs that came onto the property where he lived. The dogs were owned by a neighbor.

The dogs' owners are suing the shooter for damages.

http://www.masslive.com/chicopeeholyoke ... xml&coll=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Jim

markthenewf
Posts in topic: 4

Post by markthenewf »

seamusTX wrote:I'm starting this thread because dog shooting has become a regular trend.
Interesting. I'm a dog lover & owner but roaming/loose dogs in an urban environment are unacceptable to me. Perhaps we need to start a thread on those people who shouldn't own dogs as well. You know, the ones that don't socialize, train, or control them.

I'm curious: are there any stats on how many of these animals were 'guard dogs'.
Cheers!

Mark

AEA
Posts in topic: 7

Post by AEA »

I live in the country in Grayson county.
I've got a neighbor who has 3 pit bulls that are in the yard and bark at me every time I go outside my door. It's even worse than that......they start barking when I turn on my bathroom light at night to go to the toilet!

These people do not live at the house. They set these dogs out and they go mad barking at everything that moves and no one is even home. Sometimes they have someone come and stay at the house for awhile but whoever that is may or may not take the dogs inside. When they do, it is quiet for those times.

These dogs get out and have advanced on me in a pack in my own yard before! I was unarmed at the time. I have called the Sheriff and was told that if they come back in my yard and I feel threatened, I have a legal right to shoot them.

They have been out several times again, but have not come into my yard. Instead they go to a pasture area where another neighbor keeps livestock and they attacked a cow and bit an ear off! Needless to say, the owner of the livestock is not too happy either! :mad5

I have been just that close to walking over to the fence with my 870 and putting all three of these inbreed dogs down when they are barking all night long....it is maddening! :banghead:

So unless they come back in my yard I guess I have to live with this! It is not fair. My neighborhood was a nice quiet place till these people bought the place next door and staked out the dogs and left. I have talked to the Sheriff, commissioner, judge, with no avail. The judge actually lives in the same neighborhood and I have considered taking the dogs and staking them out around the judge's house for a few nights to see how he likes it........ :thumbs2:

I am at my wits end...... :banghead:

If you see me drop off posting here, you will know that my dog troubles are over and now all I gotta worry about is bubba, my room mate........ :shock:
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

markthenewf wrote:Interesting. I'm a dog lover & owner but roaming/loose dogs in an urban environment are unacceptable to me. Perhaps we need to start a thread on those people who shouldn't own dogs as well. You know, the ones that don't socialize, train, or control them.
I do not call myself an animal lover, but I respect God's creation in all its forms and believe in avoiding unnecessary harm. The cases that I post are, for the most part, some goober who thought to himself, there's a scary or annoying dog and, oh, what's this? a gun. Some of the dogs were shot on the dog owner's property. Some were the owner's dogs, which were shot under circumstances where shooting was illegal.

I rarely post cases of people who justifiably shoot aggressive dogs, which happens almost every day.

I agree that many pet owners are irresponsible. I live in a city and find roaming dogs annoying. But even in the best of circumstances, dogs get out. Someone leaves a gate open, or heavy rainfall creates a ditch under a fence.
I'm curious: are there any stats on how many of these animals were 'guard dogs'.
I don't know what you mean by guard dog. I've posted some accounts of morons shooting police dogs in the line of duty.

The breeds that are generally thought to be aggressive, like large terriers and rottweilers, tend to be shot more often; but people shoot miniature breeds that do not pose a credible threat to life or long-term health. If you can launch the dog into the air with your shoe, it is not a threat, IMHO.

- Jim
Last edited by seamusTX on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

AEA wrote:I've got a neighbor who has 3 pit bulls that are in the yard and bark at me every time I go outside my door. It's even worse than that......they start barking when I turn on my bathroom light at night to go to the toilet!
There's a 50-50 chance that if you toss them some rawhide "bones," or real bones (big ones that they can't choke on), they'll be your biggest admirers in a few days. That worked for a friend of mine.

Barking dogs and noise of any sort seem to be the most difficult neighbor problems to solve.

Also, do the dogs have tags? If not, you can sic animal control on them.

- Jim

AEA

Post by AEA »

Dupe
Last edited by AEA on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1911's RULE!

AEA

Post by AEA »

AEA wrote:
seamusTX wrote:
AEA wrote:I've got a neighbor who has 3 pit bulls that are in the yard and bark at me every time I go outside my door. It's even worse than that......they start barking when I turn on my bathroom light at night to go to the toilet!
There's a 50-50 chance that if you toss them some rawhide "bones," or real bones (big ones that they can't choke on), they'll be your biggest admirers in a few days. That worked for a friend of mine.

Barking dogs and noise of any sort seem to be the most difficult neighbor problems to solve.

Also, do the dogs have tags? If not, you can sic animal control on them.

- Jim
They do not have tags and I am sure they are not vaccinated. I have made contact with animal control as well and they are not interested.
1911's RULE!

Topic author
seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

I have made contact with animal control as well and they are not interested.
How do the animal control people explain refusing to do the job that they are paid to do?

- Jim

AEA

Post by AEA »

Easy, only one guy and he is in Dennison. He is over 50 miles from me. I called him 3 times and he said he would come out each time and never came. I then switched to calling the sheriff who actually responded several times, but I gave up on him too as he can do nothing.

This was during last winter when the dogs had no food or water. By the time the sheriff arrived, someone had fed one of them but the other two had already either eaten the food or they strewed it out in the yard as their bowls were empty.

Sheriff said as long as they have food and water he cannot do anything. This was when it was 19 Degrees!
1911's RULE!

Return to “Off-Topic”