Moderator: carlson1

Keith B
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Quality Pocket knife - input wanted

Post by Keith B »

Tha_Veteran wrote:In this room General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion
Ahh, congratulations!! :tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TLE2
Posts in topic: 1

Post by TLE2 »

Kershaw Ken Onion Tanto, assisted opening.

Great knife: I have many, it's my favorite for carry. Also, for non-assisted opening, I have a Benchmade that is "well made".
Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes... (Jefferson quoting Beccaria)

... tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TLE2 wrote:Kershaw Ken Onion Tanto, assisted opening.

Great knife: I have many, it's my favorite for carry.
Also, for non-assisted opening, I have a Benchmade that is "well made".
:iagree:
Ditto that.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

My primary folder-carry is the Kershaw SpecBump. S30V steel, speed-assist opening, and it can be switched quickly and securely into a P'Kal-type reverse-edge weapon position. You can see that from the design of the hilt.

Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

Incidentally, when I carry a fixed-blade it's the Trigonaut, designed by David Mosier:

The knife is superb. It's a full-tang, hefty chunk of S30V.

My gripe is the sheath. It's designed to position the knife, OWB, almost parallel to the belt. Impossible to conceal.

I had another company make a custom sheath that rides IWB on my offside, at about 30-degrees.

Perfecto.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

:iagree: Ditto that.
TAM, from your posts I know that you are left-handed so I presume the opening mechanism of the Kershaw Ken Onion Tanto is ambidextrous. I have seen "index opening" advertised on the Kershaw website. Does your's have this feature?

What is the blade length that you guys carry? Does it come with a clip for left-handed carry?
NRA Endowment Member

karder

Post by karder »

Take a look at the Scimitar from Cold Steel. I have been carrying one with a serrated blade for about 3 years everyday and have put it through some hard use. Top notch all the way around. http://www.coldsteel.com/scimitar.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It meets your criteria but they stopped making the serrated blade version a couple of years ago. The only problem is that the Cold Steel knives are pretty expensive as a general rule. The upside, is that they are built to last so you are not spending a bunch of money on a garbage product. I have worked mine hard and it is good as new. Check out their website as they have a lot of designs. :tiphat:
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

TXCO

Post by TXCO »

I have both a SOG Flash-1 and a Kershaw Leek. Love 'em both and, really, could not say one is better than the other. Probably carry the SOG more often.........but really don't have a valid reason why.
TSRA Life member
NRA Life member
CPO-Retired

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

WildBill wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

:iagree: Ditto that.
TAM, from your posts I know that you are left-handed so I presume the opening mechanism of the Kershaw Ken Onion Tanto is ambidextrous. I have seen "index opening" advertised on the Kershaw website. Does your's have this feature?

What is the blade length that you guys carry? Does it come with a clip for left-handed carry?
Yes, the knurled thumb button — or whatever you call that doohickey on the blade — is ambidextrous. And as importantly, the clip can be removed and mounted on the other side. That said, the small socket head screws that hold the clip on seem to be fairly soft metal, because when I tried it, the first screw's socket stripped out, so I could not remove it. Oh well... I've just gotten used to carrying it the way it came.

The blade length is 3-3/8", and the closed length is 4-1/2". Not sure what "Indexed Opening," means, but these knives are equipped with their Speed Safe assisted opening feature. They are great knives.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Estand

Post by Estand »

Kershaw Blackout assisted open here. Good & sturdy, but not heavy.
Personally I found the opener stud uncomfortable and ground it down on one side a bit. Perfect since then. :coolgleamA:

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

Nothing wrong with the SOG you had in your link. Love my Sogs, carry everyday
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

The Annoyed Man wrote:The blade length is 3-3/8", and the closed length is 4-1/2". Not sure what "Indexed Opening," means, but these knives are equipped with their Speed Safe assisted opening feature. They are great knives.
I did some more research and found that "Indexed Opening" means the same thing as Speed Safe assisted opening. I guess since you can use your index finger to open the knife the person called it indexed opening. Thanks for your post.
NRA Endowment Member

grim-bob

Post by grim-bob »

Benchmade Elishewitz Stryker - Had it from before they took his name off the design. Carried it religiously for several years now and it has never let me down.
Josh

Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
Benjamin Franklin

budroux2w

Post by budroux2w »

Currently i carry a Gerber, don't know the model. One thing i like about it is it's solid. it also has a safety lol. i've had knifes open a bit in my pocket. nothing bad, it's more for a fun gag when someone asks to use it. I've got an older serated blade Kershaw with assisted open that i would part with. it was a good knife but i like my Gerber much better.
NRA Life Member

marksiwel
Banned

Post by marksiwel »

Have a Sog Flash 2. Things last longer than any gerber or Benchmade I've ever had. ALso has an edge on it like you wouldnt believe
In Capitalism, Man exploits Man. In Communism, it's just the reverse

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”