IWB or OWB. Your personal opinion

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Glockamolie
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Glockamolie »

age_ranger wrote:I've got all IWB rigs and two good belts. My latest, a Milt Sparks VMII is a dream. Most comfortable holster I've bought to date and it plasters my Kahr CW9 to my side. It's IWB, but a high ride and I highly recommend them.

IWB - Summer concealment and easier to conceal - comfy with the right holster
OWB - Winter concealment, carry at the range - more comfortable
Drop leg - Hunting
The VMII is a wonderful holster. I went with a Watch Six, as I wanted it to be as slim as possible, even sacrificing the reinforced mouth. Either way, truly a great compromise between comfort, concealment, and firepower!
- Brandon

rodc13

Post by rodc13 »

I'm currently using a Galco Ultra Deep Cover IWB for my Kimber Ultra CDP II, carried at about 4:00. My BUG is a KelTec P3AT which I carry in a pocket holster. I carry one extra mag for each.

I like IWB as long as I get the placement just right. I rate the Galco as just okay. Not really enough support with a single J clip, even with a good gunbelt. I've got two new rigs on order. "The Answer", from Tucker Gunleather, which should arrive in about a week, and a Max Con V from Gary Brommeland, in about 3 months. These should be vastly superior to what I'm using now.
Cheers,
Rod

MoJo

Post by MoJo »

I've never found an IWB holster that was comfortable enough for all day use. I like a pancake style OWB holster coupled with a quality belt this combination affords a stable concealable platform.

I am fat, bald and 60 so I don't have to worry about the fashion police when it comes to choosing a cover garment. I like a tropical print shirt at least one size larger than normal worn untucked and unbuttoned over a T shirt for summer and a windbreaker, jacket or vest for cooler weather cover. The real secret to carrying OWB is to dress around the gun rather than trying to fit the gun into your wardrobe.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

gene

Post by gene »

owb always

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

Am IWB from Skunkworks works well for me @ 8 o'clock (I'm a lefty). I'll be ordering one for my new P45.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

bauerdj

Post by bauerdj »

I prefer OWB for comfort but it is hard to find shirts that are long enough to reliably cover. Also don't quite know how to handle a windy day. IWB with a colored or patterned golf shirt or tee shirt works well for concealment but is not quite as comfortable.

Dave B.

Bones3

Post by Bones3 »

OWB always; just can't stand IWB, just not comfortable for any length of time. I wear my G19 in a Comp-Tac Paddle under an oversize, long length shirt & haven't been made yet.

Bones
Texas CHL Holder

progun47

Post by progun47 »

I have always carried IWB, first with a Milt parks Summer special, and now with my new Uncle Lou from 5 shot leather. The Uncle Lou is more comfortable with the weapon riding a little higher.
"People cannot be effectually oppressed and enslaved, who are not FIRST DISARMED" Texas Supreme Court 1859 (Cockrum vs State)

"Son, you will die with the hammer down on that weapon." Jeff Cooper, Gunsite ranch 6/18/84

cgxd9sc

Post by cgxd9sc »

I usually wear Don Hume 721 OWB for either my XD or my 1911 Micro Compact. Ditto about Haiwaian shirts being the concealed carry garment.
Steve
Semper Paratus
MCPO USCG (ret)

Jfreeman

Post by Jfreeman »

I have a Sparks VM II and watch 6 for my 1911 and HK USP compact. Both are very comfortable IWB holsters that I can wear all day if I need to.

TraCoun

Post by TraCoun »

MoJo wrote:I've never found an IWB holster that was comfortable enough for all day use. I like a pancake style OWB holster coupled with a quality belt this combination affords a stable concealable platform.

I am fat, bald and 60 so I don't have to worry about the fashion police ...
MoJo,
Just my $ .02 -- I've got a Milt Sparks VMII (mentioned by others) and have found it very comfortable ... in fact sometimes I have to remind myself I have it on. I am also fat, not far from 60, but not bald at this point. I can't particularly remember wearing it all day (it's possible I have), but I know some days I've had it on more than half the day.
TraCoun

MrDrummy

Post by MrDrummy »

I wonder if I could walk around Lubbock and spot all the CHL's by their Hawaiian print shirts ;-)

I'm a fairly average sized guy, at 5'10" and about 185 lbs, and have been able to carry and conceal my Kimber Ultra Carry, Mexican style (waiting on my Brommeland Max-Con V,) with my normal-sized, buttoned up shirt over it. I've found that plaids, dark ones especially, work great for breaking up any sort of an outline. Maybe I'm wrong, but I find printed plaids and other similar patterns a little more fashionable than those Hawaiian rags!

Noone's even noticed the extra "bulge" on my side, so I think that I'm doing a pretty good job. Most people aren't looking anyway, right?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”