CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Kythas
Posts in topic: 1

Gun sales shoot up

Post by Kythas »

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 917828.ece

Smith & Wesson, the famed American gunmaker once owned by Tomkins, the British conglomerate, expects to nearly double its annual sales in the next three to five years as demand for its firearms soars in the recession. It is not alone.

All over America demand for firearms and ammunition is rising amid concerns that rising unemployment, which passed 10 per cent this month, will lead inexorably to higher rates of crime. Fears of terrorism have also helped to lift demand, as have concerns among gun owners that the Obama Administration may introduce restrictions on gun ownership and impose additional taxes.

Smith & Wesson is expecting sales to rise by 30 per cent to $102 million (£61 million) in the first quarter of the next financial year, after growing by more than 13 per cent this year to $335 million.

At Sturm and Ruger, sales for the third quarter hit $71.2 million, up 70 per cent from the same period last year. At Glock, the leader in law enforcement markets, pistol sales rose by 71 per cent in the first quarter of the financial year for 2010, in comparison with the same period last year.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the FBI carried out more than a million background checks on behalf of gun dealers in September (a check is required with every sale), an increase of 12.4 per cent on the same period in the previous year.

Mike Golden, chief executive at Smith and Wesson, is sceptical about the so-called Obama effect on gun sales, believing that his company’s booming revenues have “nothing to do with the administration” and everything to do with the economy.

“People are worried about personal protection with unemployment and crime on the rise,” he said in a presentation to investors, adding that 30 per cent of customers who had bought the company’s guns in the first half of this year were “first-time gun owners”, up from 9 per cent nine a year earlier.

Randy Williams, industry editor at Hoover, the research firm, agreed. “As an example of the personal safety and terrorism aspect, Smith & Wesson’s hunting rifle sales in 2009 dropped about 33 per cent at a time when the company’s other gun sales — revolvers, pistols, Walther imports, and tactical rifles — grew 33 per cent,” he said.

Even though some experts believe that the gun bubble may be about to burst, with a slowdown in the rate of sales growth, such a view is not shared across the industry.

At the Freedom Group, whose brands include Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster and Harrington & Richardson, managers are encouraged by the “meaningful percentage of current firearm sales . . . made to first-time gun purchasers, particularly women”.

The company, owned by Cerberus, the private equity group, is seeking to raise $200 million through an initial public offering.

Although there is no clear evidence of a surge in gun ownership among women (they make up about 13 per cent of gun owners), the company says in its prospectus that it believes that the introduction of first-time shooters, as well as a younger demographic of users and those who like to customise or upgrade their firearms, will sustain the increase in demand.

Freedom is also hoping for an increase in the market for hunting guns, the only segment of the industry to experience a fall during the recession as cost-conscious consumers cut back on their discretionary spending on leisure activities.

With ongoing commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan, all manufacturers also believe that American military contracts will continue to provide them with large opportunities.

At Smith & Wesson, Mr Golden is taking no chances and has already started to diversify away from retail gun sales. In June he bought Universal Safety Response, which makes and installs security barriers and which he expects to bring in sales of $90 million next year.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

joe817

Re: Gun sales shoot up

Post by joe817 »

Good read. Thanks for posting Lythas. :tiphat: :thumbs2:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

Not exactly new news but it might be a good idea to buy stock in some of these companies. :mrgreen:
CHL since 01/26/09

karder

Post by karder »

The reason Smith and Wesson is making 102 million is because their revolvers have gotten so darn expensive! I love me some S&W, but I am about to become a Ruger man! Oh well, I guess if you want quality, you gotta pay for it. :grumble
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

MechAg94
Posts in topic: 2

Post by MechAg94 »

There is also the fact that S&W's M&P pistols and rifles seem to be very popular. At least I hear more about them than I ever did their previous semi-auto stuff. If they are getting police sales, I can see where that would help their bottom line a lot.

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

Gun sales "shoot up"...man you slay me. "rlol"
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

UpTheIrons

Post by UpTheIrons »

I'm of two minds when these stories keep showing up. I mean, is the Times that slow on the uptake, or does this story have nefarious purposes?

Not long ago, after ammo slowly - but surely - started reappearing on the shelves, there was a big story about the ammo shortage by a few of the big news organizations ("OMG!! People are stocking up on ammo!!!"). Now that firearms are starting to reappear on shelves again (in quantity), this story pops up.

Is the media trying to string out the 'panic buying' (or trying to discourage it - "everything is gone"), or does "Big Gun" have a mole somewhere who turns up the heat every so often to keep the 'stock' rotating? :???:
"I don't know how that would ever be useful, but I want two!"

Springs are cheap - your gun and your life aren't.

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

The Times is usually a very factual and accurate newspaper, it used to be the newpaper of choice for the land gentry.....it is probably a government mouthpiece now though. :totap:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

heliguy972

Post by heliguy972 »

All thanks to Obama....I've bought an M4 and MSAR STG with all the extras and 2 suppressors just in anticipation of coming gun legislation....

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Kevinf2349 wrote:The Times is usually a very factual and accurate newspaper, it used to be the newpaper of choice for the land gentry.....it is probably a government mouthpiece now though. :totap:
Is that really true? They have a lot of people who spend time blogging on their errors and mistakes. You didn't used to have people doing that. IMO, none of the old news sources were ever noble or honorable. They were all out to make headlines and money. Maybe a some individuals were.

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

MechAg94 wrote:
Kevinf2349 wrote:The Times is usually a very factual and accurate newspaper, it used to be the newpaper of choice for the land gentry.....it is probably a government mouthpiece now though. :totap:
Is that really true? They have a lot of people who spend time blogging on their errors and mistakes. You didn't used to have people doing that. IMO, none of the old news sources were ever noble or honorable. They were all out to make headlines and money. Maybe a some individuals were.
I think that it is just a dropping of reporting standards across the board these days. I am not sure I would limit it to The Times. Back in the day when a newpapaer was actually edited, proofread and then set, these things still used to happen (but I suspect a lot less frequently due to better educated editors) .

Heck the The Guardian even spelt their masthead wrong for one edition! "rlol"

My local newpaper back in Blighty had a creative editor who worked the front page 'thumbnail headlines'. Each headline thumbnail always started with a bold and enlarged front letter. This chap set the headlines in such a way that first letters spelled out a very terse but rude message! "rlol" :smilelol5: That was in the afternoon edition, by the evening edition the 'mistake' had been noticed and their was one less employee at the newpaper!. My dad still has an afternoon edition saved I believe. :thumbs2:
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A short video based on Aerosmith's "Janie's Got a Gun".

Even Elmo from Sesame Street has a piece - looks like a .380 to me. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”