buying 12ga buckshot...

"A pistol is what you use to fight your way back to the rifle you never should have left behind!" Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Moderators: carlson1, Keith B

KD5NRH
Posts in topic: 2

Re: buying 12ga buckshot...

Post by KD5NRH »

Not reduced recoil, but http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... rc=tpCtgAm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is a good price for a 25rd box.

A couple boxes of these will make the above seem like reduced recoil: http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?conte ... 20ga%203.5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Just toughen the family up on the big ones, and they'll have no problem with anything else.

dicion

Post by dicion »

KD5NRH wrote: A couple boxes of these will make the above seem like reduced recoil: http://www.natchezss.com/Ammo.cfm?conte ... 20ga%203.5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Just toughen the family up on the big ones, and they'll have no problem with anything else.
:shock: :shock:

Wow... if any BG ever ended up on the wrong end of one of those.. he's not going to be going anywhere, for sure! 18 00 Pellets?! Don't Standard 2-3/4" Shells only have like 6 or 9?

Count
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Count »

I bought several boxes before Ike. :fire
The information in this message is not provided in the course of a client relationship and is not intended as legal, accounting, or other professional advice.

Kevinf2349

Post by Kevinf2349 »

Count wrote:I bought several boxes before Ike. :fire
I bet Ike wasn't happy, unles you left him some too "rlol"
Glock - When a FTF just isn't an option!

04/24/09 - CHL Class
08/17/09 - Plastic in hand!

NRA & TSRA Member

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

"Society doesn't have a gun problem; Society has a society problem"

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Kevinf2349 wrote:
Count wrote:I bought several boxes before Ike. :fire
I bet Ike wasn't happy, unles you left him some too "rlol"
Kevin , you keep me rollin ! :woohoo
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

A-R
Posts in topic: 4

Post by A-R »

Mr 72, you're in Cedar Park right? Just FYI, Academy had a bunch of Remington and Winchester buckshot today, and some slugs.

Topic author
mr.72
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mr.72 »

Funny. I didn't go to that Academy. I will see about stopping by tomorrow. The one near Oak Knoll & Research didn't have any, and neither did the one at 183 & I35.
non-conformist CHL holder

KD5NRH

Post by KD5NRH »

dicion wrote:
Wow... if any BG ever ended up on the wrong end of one of those.. he's not going to be going anywhere, for sure! 18 00 Pellets?! Don't Standard 2-3/4" Shells only have like 6 or 9?
Those are the loads I "patterned" at 100yds through a modified choke: 4 pellets on an IDPA silhouette, and they had enough force left to drive about a half-inch into the 2x4 uprights. Potentially useful if you need a countersniper shotgun. Pulling one a bit low from 15yds also gave a 100+lb plate rack enough of a thump to almost knock it over, and did move it back almost a foot. They definitely tech you to tuck the gun tightly, lean into the recoil, and let it shove you back rather than letting yourself get knocked over.

baseballguy2001

Post by baseballguy2001 »

I agree with some other posters Ammunition to go is a great place to buy ammo, including buck shot. However, I have also found it for sale here (DFW) in two local Wal-Mart stores.
7.30.08 -- Plastic in hand (99 days)
04.01.18--2nd Renewal
05.05.18-- Plastic

A-R

Post by A-R »

Checked Cedar Park Academy again today (there for day 2 of "mandatory hunter's education" class) and they also had a few boxes of some Remington 12 gauge "defense" rounds with BB sized shot instead of OO or OOO buckshot. I'm guessing this could help lessen recoil as well.

Edited to add link to Remington web site about this load ... http://www.remington.com/products/ammun ... e_defense/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Estand

Post by Estand »

Mr. 72, I read you already bought something but if you need more check out GT Dist in Austin for their CCI Lawman 12 Gauge Shotgun Ammo - Part # CCI-57800. It is "00 buck 8 pellet low recoil". Note, the box itself DOES NOT say reduced recoil when you look at it in the store. I checked on CCI's website and confirmed it is reduced recoil. $2.99 per 5 shells. I have not shot any yet but hope to soon. I will be using this in a 12 GA Rem 870 with pistol grip for my wife so reduced recoil is key. I also recently bought Fiocchi reduced recoil for a decent price from cheaperthandirt.com but have not tried it either..yet. I would have to say I trust CCI quality more if anything.
FYI I am "P40" on the KahrTalk forum site with the Kydex holsters, give me a shout :tiphat:

Skiprr

Post by Skiprr »

KD5NRH wrote:Those are the loads I "patterned" at 100yds through a modified choke: 4 pellets on an IDPA silhouette, and they had enough force left to drive about a half-inch into the 2x4 uprights. Potentially useful if you need a countersniper shotgun. Pulling one a bit low from 15yds also gave a 100+lb plate rack enough of a thump to almost knock it over, and did move it back almost a foot. They definitely teach you to tuck the gun tightly, lean into the recoil, and let it shove you back rather than letting yourself get knocked over.
And in that vein, mr.72, I gotta ask why you're seeking reduced recoil rounds.

Simple physics: equal and opposite reaction. Reduced recoil means a reduced load with a lower muzzle velocity.

For a home-defense shotgun, I wouldn't want a reduced anything. I wouldn't want a magnum load, but I'd sure want a full-bodied 12-gauge firing standard 00-buck.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Topic author
mr.72
Posts in topic: 5

Post by mr.72 »

Skiprr wrote: And in that vein, mr.72, I gotta ask why you're seeking reduced recoil rounds.

Simple physics: equal and opposite reaction. Reduced recoil means a reduced load with a lower muzzle velocity.

For a home-defense shotgun, I wouldn't want a reduced anything. I wouldn't want a magnum load, but I'd sure want a full-bodied 12-gauge firing standard 00-buck.
Reduced-recoil 00 buckshot seems to be a popular LE choice, but primarily, the folks who are going to be likely to be operating this HD shotgun in the event of a home invasion are my teenage daughters and wife who are all about 5'8"-6'0" tall and 110-140 lb. I can't get them to go to the range and even attempt to shoot this shotgun with full-power loads. "Reduced recoil" is a requirement for them to practice with it. I don't want them to be more afraid of firing the gun than they are of the BG.

The ammo I ordered has 8 00 pellets @ 1200fps. Full-power 00 12ga Remington loads have 9 00 pellets @ 1325fps. Not a huge difference and definitely a big step up from the 9mm handguns that are the alternatives.
non-conformist CHL holder

A-R

Post by A-R »

mr.72 wrote:
Skiprr wrote: And in that vein, mr.72, I gotta ask why you're seeking reduced recoil rounds.

Reduced-recoil 00 buckshot seems to be a popular LE choice, but primarily, the folks who are going to be likely to be operating this HD shotgun in the event of a home invasion are my teenage daughters and wife who are all about 5'8"-6'0" tall and 110-140 lb. I can't get them to go to the range and even attempt to shoot this shotgun with full-power loads. "Reduced recoil" is a requirement for them to practice with it. I don't want them to be more afraid of firing the gun than they are of the BG.

The ammo I ordered has 8 00 pellets @ 1200fps. Full-power 00 12ga Remington loads have 9 00 pellets @ 1325fps. Not a huge difference and definitely a big step up from the 9mm handguns that are the alternatives.
I gotta agree with Mr. 72 on this one. Anything that comes out of a 12 gauge at interior home defense ranges is going to put an end to a bad guy's attack. Even some moderate sized bird shot (7 1/2) can be lethal at close range. Low recoil buckshot will be devastating - like 8 rounds from a .3x caliber handgun all hitting center mass at the same time. Regular buckshot just means more mess to clean up.

rgoodwin

Post by rgoodwin »

Cabella's in Buda has Royal Buck (Rio) 00buck on sale for $2.99/per 5. I picked up several boxes, but have yet to shoot it, so I can't give you a review. Anyone shot Royal Buck buckshot?

Return to “Rifles & Shotguns”