1911 Carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
RocTrac
Posts in topic: 12

Re: 1911 Carry

Post by RocTrac »

I like to read and like a lot of pictures besides I am not really impressed with the inter commando's. No offense and not calling you one. But you can see where a person has to be careful of sources especially when it is a fire arm or any other safety issue. :cheers2:
So why do you lean to the Kimbers and STI's? Oh, what about the warrenty on Colt and Kimber. I know that Springfield is a lifetime.
03/Oct 09- Class taken
05/Oct 09- Packet Mailed
05 1/2 Oct- Tapping fingers on desk waiting
04/Dec. 09- Plastic came in the Mail.
Primary Dan Wesson Valor
Secondary Kimber Crimson Carry II
Third XDm 9

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Oldgringo »

You can not get more 1911 for the money than a Taurus PT 1911 and that's a fact. Before the naysayers come screaming forth, be advised that I also own a SA LW Compact and a Kimber Custom Target II.

My primary carry is the SA Compact due to its 6 round (shorter) mag and its 4" barrel.
Last edited by Oldgringo on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigmojo

Post by bigmojo »

Me EDC is Wilson Carry Comp Pro. It's a government size frame with 4.5" barrel and bobtailed grip. I actually traded in a Wilson Professional which was a full size frame with 4" barrel but i found it a little trying to conceal very well. The 4.5" barrel makes the gun feel better balanced, but the bob'd grip makes all the difference in terms of concealing.

Whatever you decide just be careful...once you get that 1st one you will be hooked and the price only goes up from there.

Topic author
RocTrac

Post by RocTrac »

Can you tell me more about the bob'd grip or show us a picture.
Thanks
03/Oct 09- Class taken
05/Oct 09- Packet Mailed
Primary Dan Wesson Valor
Third XDm 9

gfmun

Post by gfmun »

Me ? I shoot STIs in competition and think they are great. I go thru Brazos and they are also fantastic. If I were going to buy a 1911 tomorrow it would be an STI Spartan. I carry a Kimber 1911 full size and have owned and enjoyed an Ultra and the 4" lightweight, can't remember what they call it. All great guns. I am just cautious about out of mid stream guns where aftermarket parts can be hard to get. I did not mention Wilson, because a lot of people new to 1911s are not willing to put that kind of money into a handgun. Great handguns, great company...expensive .....but really nice self defense guns. STI, great play guns for competition.

If I really thought I needed a weapon today, I would leave the area. If I am not able to do that, I would take an AR. The best self defense is not being there. I read somewhere that the defination of self defense is "dying slowly". :???:

George

CompVest
Posts in topic: 5

Post by CompVest »

STI - made in Texas with Texas pride and quality.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Topic author
RocTrac

Post by RocTrac »

See, this is the first time that I have even heard of STI. But like the idea of supporting Texas buisness :txflag: But, I have no experience with one. I have heard of Kimber, Colt, Springfield, Ed Brown and Wilson and have only shot the Springfield and Colt.
Hearing the opinions on the carry, and since I enjoy how they shoot. I will be getting one. :drool: I went to a 1911 forum and tried reading there. Spending most of my time in the range reports, FAQ's and "my gun broke". Didn't see anything that just said this one or that one is better.
One thing that I did see is that Kimber is tighter in tolorence, but tighter than who?
03/Oct 09- Class taken
05/Oct 09- Packet Mailed
Primary Dan Wesson Valor
Third XDm 9

kragluver
Posts in topic: 1

Post by kragluver »

I too own an Taurus PT1911. AFAIK, all parts are MILSPEC interchangeable except for the sights which have a unique dovetail. The Taurus is a good pistol with a lot of nice features for the money (especially back when they came out). Prices have risen a bit since I bought mine.

The Krag rifle is the Swiss watch of MILSURPS.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

dicion
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dicion »

RocTrac wrote: One thing that I did see is that Kimber is tighter in tolorence, but tighter than who?
Kimber is generally considered 'tighter in tolerances' that Colt or Springfield. Not to say that Colt or Springfield are 'out of tolerance', they aren't. They are perfectly excellent handguns.

The original m1911 had some 'play room' in it's tolerances because, after all, it was a field handgun. They wanted reliability & mass producability, not 1" groups at 25 meters.
Also, Milspec ammunition wasn't always 'exact' with their regards to tolerances on ammunition.

Kimber has generally 'tightened up' some of the areas in the 1911 design, and as such they are generally on the inside line of the mil-spec tolerances, with little to no 'play'. This makes them more accurate.
However, with these tighter tolerances, some people have issues where the gun needs a 'wear-in' period in order to get 100% reliable operation. Also, shooting cheap off-brand non-quality ammunition can cause issues with FTF's, etc if it is out of tolerance, whereas on a mil-spec springfield or colt, you won't have any issues since they may have a little more 'play room' in some areas.

Personally, I have had absolutely no issues with my Ultra Carry. I was once told that generally, their handguns designed for self defense and carry are not as 'tightened up' as say, their competition lines, so as to make them a little more reliable.

bigmojo

Post by bigmojo »

RocTrac wrote:Can you tell me more about the bob'd grip or show us a picture.
Thanks
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/p_carrycomp.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are closeups of a bob'd carry comp.
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/handguns/ca ... rge/02.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.wilsoncombat.com/handguns/ca ... rge/04.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rm9792
Posts in topic: 1

Post by rm9792 »

Here is my Kimber Pro after I bobbed it and added Slimline Alumagrips. Practically disappears!

dicion
Posts in topic: 4

Post by dicion »

rm9792 wrote:Here is my Kimber Pro after I bobbed it and added Slimline Alumagrips. Practically disappears!
THAT is Sweet....

Did you bob it yourself? or have it professionally done? How much was it? That seriously makes me want to consider it!

CompVest
Posts in topic: 5

Post by CompVest »

STI is one of the very few 1911s that can be taken new from the box to shoot an IDPA match with and not have any malfunctions. That is Texas quality for you. They have all sizes and calibers. Go to their website and check out the company story.
http://www.stiguns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

CompVest wrote:STI is one of the very few 1911s that can be taken new from the box to shoot an IDPA match with and not have any malfunctions. That is Texas quality for you. They have all sizes and calibers. Go to their website and check out the company story.
http://www.stiguns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did I read something somewhere that said/alleged that STI guns are makeovers of Armscor 1911's? :txflag:

Skiprr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Skiprr »

Oldgringo wrote:Did I read something somewhere that said/alleged that STI guns are makeovers of Armscor 1911's? :txflag:
The least-expensive STI model, the Spartan, has its slide, frame, and barrel produced by Armscor in the Philippines. All other parts except the sights are made by STI. The guns are shipped from Armscor to STI, where final assembly, finish, and quality control take place.

That may be where you got the Armscor/STI connection info. The Spartan is about 30% less expensive than the starting point of the other, U.S.-made STI models. And those range up to full-on IPSC race guns you find at every USPSA competition.
Join the NRA or upgrade your membership today. Support the Texas Firearms Coalition and subscribe to the Podcast.
I’ve contacted my State Rep, Gary Elkins, about co-sponsoring HB560. Have you contacted your Rep?
NRA Benefactor Life Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”