paper work for gun sale?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ryan87
Posts in topic: 2

paper work for gun sale?

Post by ryan87 »

I know its not required to register a gun in texas but im selling a gun to a friend, what kind of paper work can i get saying it was sold(just write up a bill of sale and keep it forever?), can he register it in his name removing it from mine?

mgood
Posts in topic: 1

Re: paper work for gun sale?

Post by mgood »

There's no gun registration in Texas, so there's no way for him to register it in his name removing it from yours.

Some people suggest, and I think it may be a pretty good suggestion, to make a bill of sale and you each get a copy of it. This protects you both.
Just a note saying "I [your name] am selling [make, model, serial number] to [his name]." You both sign it. Drivers license numbers or other identification would be a good idea.
If it's later used in a crime, and it's traced to you, you can show where you got rid of it. Going the other direction, if you purchase a firearm from an individual and have such paperwork, if something happens and Mr. Policeman runs the serial number and it comes up as stolen, you can show who you bought it from.

Other people feel that the beauty of the friend-to-friend sale is that no one can document what weapons you have.
So . . . your mileage may vary.

PBratton

Post by PBratton »

Just write it up with his and your info and both of you sign and date it. Get a copy for both of you to keep.

Unfortunately, if this firearm is ever traced, it will be followed from the manufacturer to the wholesaler to the dealer you bought it from, and then to you.
http://www.GeeksFirearms.com NFA dealer.
$25 Transfers in the Sugar Land, Richmond/Rosenburg areas, every 25th transfer I process is free

Active Military, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Fire, EMS receive $15 transfers.

NRA Patron Member, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, NRA Certified CRSO, Tx LTC Instructor

Salty1

Post by Salty1 »

This seems to become a more common question as people buy and sell firearms to people they do not know. We have seen an increase of sellers utilizing our FFL services for what could be done as a face to face transfer. Basically they arrive with the purchaser, we enter the firearm into our records and the buyer completes the 4473. One seller paid our fee and explained that he wanted piece of mind that the purchaser could pass the background check. Unfortunatly too many people just want the cash and do not care who they are selling to with no questions asked. At a minimum I would get a drivers license and write down all the information on a bill of sale and keep it, the same goes when purchasing face to face, I would want to know who I purchased it from, if either party was not willing to do this I would walk away.
Salty1

Topic author
ryan87
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ryan87 »

ok, i was hoping to get it out of my name and i wouldnt have to keep the bill of sale forever. but we are meeting in person and he is willing to give me any information i want to put on the bill of sale.

dicion

Post by dicion »

ryan87 wrote:ok, i was hoping to get it out of my name and i wouldnt have to keep the bill of sale forever.
1) It's not 'in your name'. There is no registration in Texas, and the NCIS Background check info they used when you purchased it is supposed to be erased at the end of every day.
The Yellow Form the dealer keeps is the only record with your name, and the gun's serial number on it. Yes, it can be traced to you through this form, but it would require physical inspection of the form. There is no computerized database with your name and the gun's serial number, anywhere.

2) You don't need to keep the BOS Forever, you don't Need one at all. If you do, it's only for your own benefit, and you can decide on when you want to dispose of it.
If you're that worried that whoever you're selling your gun to is going to go off and shoot people with it, may I suggest not selling it to them then?
Either that, or go by the policy lots of folks on these forums use. Only sell to CHL's. :mrgreen:

ammo two

Post by ammo two »

There is a form on Texas Gun Trader used as a Bill of Sale. It seems to cover all the areas that a seller/buyer may be concerned with. Here is a copy of it.
Attachments
billofsale.pdf
Bill of Sale from Texas Gun Trader Website
(87.1 KiB) Downloaded 2800 times

garcia946

Post by garcia946 »

Thats a good form to have , I buy and sell alot :tiphat:
NRA Instructor/RSO
Glock 27 .40 , Sig P229 .40
Right To Carry CHL

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

Salty1 wrote:This seems to become a more common question as people buy and sell firearms to people they do not know. We have seen an increase of sellers utilizing our FFL services for what could be done as a face to face transfer. Basically they arrive with the purchaser, we enter the firearm into our records and the buyer completes the 4473. One seller paid our fee and explained that he wanted piece of mind that the purchaser could pass the background check. Unfortunatly too many people just want the cash and do not care who they are selling to with no questions asked. At a minimum I would get a drivers license and write down all the information on a bill of sale and keep it, the same goes when purchasing face to face, I would want to know who I purchased it from, if either party was not willing to do this I would walk away.
:iagree: I sold a handgun to a person I know last month and still had him fill out a Bill of Sale and we each kept a copy for future reference. You are some previous threads on this site that will lead you to some sites from which you can print a form. I believe I printed a copy of mine from gunbrokers.com.

I also traded a gun in last month and the make and serial number was recorded as part of the sales receipt on the new gun so nothing further needed to be done; just keep the receipt as part of your recards.
CHL since 01/26/09

joe817

Post by joe817 »

garcia946 wrote:Thats a good form to have , I buy and sell alot :tiphat:
:iagree: You can fill the form out on line, a real benefit.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I have bought and sold a few guns in my time. I will be happy to give a bill of sale to anyone who wants one when i seel, so they can prove ownership if they move out of Texas. I have never kept one for myself.

If a pistol is ever traced to me, I will simply tell the ATF the truth. I sold it way back and I don't remember who I sold it to. There is no law requiring us to keep the records and there is no penalty or shame in not doing so. I also cannot tell you who I sold the cars to, or any other of the used property I have disposed of through the years.

Of course, if you want a bill of sale for your own peace of mind, I have no objection to that either. I have identified myself when I bought some used guns also, just to give the seller peace of mind.

To me, it all comes down to what makes you happy. I know people who want just cash, and some prefer checks so they can keep a copy for a receipt. I am easy to work with on things like this.

The one advice I have seen that makes sense is to not sell it to someone who you are really concerned about their use of it in the future. If it is a general concern, that is different, but if it is a specific person, don't sell it.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”