August 2009 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

joe817
Posts in topic: 132

Re: August 2009 Applications

Post by joe817 »

USA1 wrote:
webb3201 wrote:Ugh, I keep fighting the urge to call them and check in....guess it can't hurt!
I would call if I were you . ;-)
:iagree: You've been more than patient with them. Time to find out what's going on. Just my $.02 worth.
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

NAVY CHIEF
Posts in topic: 23

Post by NAVY CHIEF »

joe817 wrote:
USA1 wrote:
webb3201 wrote:Ugh, I keep fighting the urge to call them and check in....guess it can't hurt!
:iagree: You've been more than patient with them. Time to find out what's going on. Just my $.02 worth.
:iagree: :iagree:
bigflo and I both went to class together, got out pix at the same time, used the same "blueprinter", sent out apps in at the same time from the same post office. I called 3 separate times and received my plastic nearly 2 weeks ago - bigflo did NOT call until last week, still no plastic. Did my calling have anything to do with me getting mine first - I don't know --- I'm just sayin' ... Call them!

"the squeaky wheel gets greased!"

Hooyah!
CHL class: 8/29/09
Plastic Received:22OCT09

JC77
Posts in topic: 5

Post by JC77 »

NAVY CHIEF wrote:
joe817 wrote:
USA1 wrote:
:iagree: :iagree:
bigflo and I both went to class together, got out pix at the same time, used the same "blueprinter", sent out apps in at the same time from the same post office. I called 3 separate times and received my plastic nearly 2 weeks ago - bigflo did NOT call until last week, still no plastic. Did my calling have anything to do with me getting mine first - I don't know --- I'm just sayin' ... Call them!

"the squeaky wheel gets greased!"

Hooyah!
Hopefully you get better news than I did when I called last Thursday, the DPS lady I spoke with said that they have everything they need from me and that current processing times is 4 mos.. It's been killing me, one of my buddies took the class with me and had plastic in hand right under 50 days. Hopefully I will show application complete soon, but I guess I can't complain too much yet as I've seen many here on the forum that waited well over 120 days.

seadog
Posts in topic: 51

Post by seadog »

It didn't take very long to get mine, I can't see 4 months. I did call a couple of times for different reasons but the first time the lady who answered the phone said it would be several months. I got it in 64 days. Keep your hopes up.
Took class -------8/7/09
Sent papers------8/14/09
Return receipt---8/17/09
Check cashed ---8/21/09
Processing -------9/8/09
Complete---------10/15/09
Wally walk--------11/28/09 LOL
NRA member

joe817

Post by joe817 »

....I've seen many here on the forum that waited well over 120 days.
That's true JC77, but that was last summer, and before when they were totally overwhelmed with applications. Towards the end of August DPS work through the backlog for the most part, and now should be pretty well caught up. See my timeline, and others.
DPS lady I spoke with said that they have everything they need from me and that current processing times is 4 mos.
Oh horse hockey! I don't buy that. I believe the lady you spoke to said that to get you off her back.

I think you are right at 71 days since DPS received your packet. If it were me, I'd call them back and ask to speak to a tech. The call takers, bless their hearts try to help but they don't have the training or expertise to know if something else is going on. The only good results I ever had was when I was transferred to a tech. That's your best bet.

Be sure and keep a log of who you talked to, what they said, and the time they said it. It may help you later if there is really a snag in your processing. If that fails(or doesn't satisfy you) it's time to call and email your State Representative and State Senator and ask them for assistance in expediting.

With all that said, take into consideration the delay in background checks if you've moved several times in the past 5 years, or have multiple jobs in the same time frame. That ALWAYS slows down the b/g check.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Zee
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Zee »

I don't think those folks have a real concept of time. Everytime I've talked to them about them sending me something I get, "In 10 days." Getting stuff in the mail has actually been between 3-5 days.

10 days must be the standard answer. "That ought to hold them for 10 days." In terms of getting the actual card they must not want to hear back from anyone again until "about 4 months."

Looking at the most recent info here in looks like 8-9 weeks. I'm sure those of us who have "lived a full life" will have a little delay.
80% Liberal, 90% Democrat, 100% Responsible gun owner.

Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative. John Stuart Mill (1806-1873)

Jesus was a Jewish Liberal

JC77
Posts in topic: 5

Post by JC77 »

joe817 wrote:
....I've seen many here on the forum that waited well over 120 days.
That's true JC77, but that was last summer, and before when they were totally overwhelmed with applications. Towards the end of August DPS work through the backlog for the most part, and now should be pretty well caught up. See my timeline, and others.
DPS lady I spoke with said that they have everything they need from me and that current processing times is 4 mos.
Oh horse hockey! I don't buy that. I believe the lady you spoke to said that to get you off her back.
:iagree: That's about how I felt when I hung up the phone. I explained to her that others in my class had received their plastic in the mail in under 50 days and all she kept saying was "Well, you sent yours off 2 weeks after the class and they probably sent theirs off the day after the class, so you can't compare your application to theirs". She was not grasping the fact that the application has still been in DPS's hands for over 60 days regardless of how long it took me to send it off. She was not the most pleasant lady either. i'm gonna give it til' the end of the week and try again if the status has not changed

steking
Posts in topic: 7

Post by steking »

Woohooo. :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana ..just checked this evening, like I've done every evening for the last 30 days and saw this.

Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

How long does it usually take to get the plastic? FYI for folks, my background check was in three counties, Ft. Bend, Montgomery and Harris.
NRA Member

07/25/2009 - CHL class
08/10/2009 - Mailed application to DPS
08/21/2009 - Check cleared
09/17/2009 - PIN Received
11/03/2009 - Application Approved
11/05/2009 - Plastic in Hand

USA1
Posts in topic: 105

Post by USA1 »

steking wrote:Woohooo. :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana ..just checked this evening, like I've done every evening for the last 30 days and saw this.

How long does it usually take to get the plastic? FYI for folks, my background check was in three counties, Ft. Bend, Montgomery and Harris.
Congrats :cheers2:
You should receive the coveted plastic in about a week , give or take a few days .
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Matrix68
Posts in topic: 15

Post by Matrix68 »

:iagree: Mine took around 4 days to get to me in the mail.
Class: 8/15/09
Packet Mailed: 8/19/09
Pin# Rec'd (mail): 9/22/09
Status - Processing Application: 9/23/09
Status - Processing Application (still): 10/12/09
Status - Application Completed: 10/24/09
Plastic in Hand: 10/28/09

steking

Post by steking »

USA1 wrote:
steking wrote:Woohooo. :anamatedbanana :anamatedbanana ..just checked this evening, like I've done every evening for the last 30 days and saw this.

Congrats :cheers2:
You should receive the coveted plastic in about a week , give or take a few days .
Thanks for the info. I'm surprised at how good one feels after such a long wait. If you were in my house, you would have thought I won the lottery. Gotta plan the Wally Walk now.

I've not posted much, but have been lurking and gleening much information from this site. Glad to have a resource like this and thanks to all that support it.
NRA Member

07/25/2009 - CHL class

USA1

Post by USA1 »

steking wrote: If you were in my house, you would have thought I won the lottery. Gotta plan the Wally Walk now.
I know the feeling . :cheers2:

When i got the approval message , I almost fell down the stairs running to tell my wife . :oops:
BTW , I trust you are fully aware of the Wally Walk requirements . :cool:

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Hot doggies steking! Super congrats! :thumbs2:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

steking

Post by steking »

USA1 wrote: I know the feeling . :cheers2:

When i got the approval message , I almost fell down the stairs running to tell my wife . :oops:
BTW , I trust you are fully aware of the Wally Walk requirements . :cool:
USA1, I have viewed your Wally Walk, very impressive. I'm not sure I can live up to those standards, but I'll try. But no, I've yet to encounter a comprehensive list of the requirements. Have a cheat sheet??
NRA Member

07/25/2009 - CHL class

USA1

Post by USA1 »

steking wrote: I've yet to encounter a comprehensive list of the requirements. Have a cheat sheet??
There's one floating around here somewhere .
I'll see if I can find it and post it tomorrow . ;-)

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”