June 2009 Applications

So, your CHL Application has been filed and the clock has slowed to a crawl - tell us about it!

Moderator: carlson1

USA1
Posts in topic: 81

Re: June 2009 Applications

Post by USA1 »

LostInAustin wrote: there WILL be pics. :mrgreen:
ooooh , can't wait . :thumbs2:

just don't get busted by the greeter . :lol:

Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

LostInAustin
Posts in topic: 49

Post by LostInAustin »

"rlol" "rlol" "rlol" :smilelol5: :smilelol5: :smilelol5:
Colt Combat Commander
Colt Govt Model Series 70
Beretta 92FS

Mazzy
Posts in topic: 14

Post by Mazzy »

Finally!

My online status has changed to "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active."

Yeeeeaaaah!

:anamatedbanana

I'm going to go camp out by the mailbox now.

joe817
Posts in topic: 94

Post by joe817 »

Super congrats Mazzy! :woohoo :clapping: It won't be long now! It took me 2 days to get my plastic when the status changed.

See what good things happen when you join the forum? :shock: :lol:
Diplomacy is the Art of Letting Someone Have Your Way
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Mazzy

Post by Mazzy »

Two days?!!? But...but...two days from now is...SUNDAY..
There's no mail on Sunday.

NOOOOO!!

;-)

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Mazzy wrote:Two days?!!? But...but...two days from now is...SUNDAY..
There's no mail on Sunday. NOOOOO!! ;-)
"rlol" :smilelol5: I know. It's kinda like a new dad waiting for his first born to be delivered! :lol:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

javechet
Posts in topic: 4

Post by javechet »

Hello there. I have been lurking here for some time now and finally decided to join. In all honesty, it is mostly because of my frustration. Here goes my story.

I completed a CHL course here in Austin back in June. The application was hand delivered to DPS on June 16th (I believe, maybe 17th). About a month later I received a letter stating that they needed a copy of my birth certificate as proof of my citizenship. I was born in Germany on an Army base. Within about 3 days I hand delivered a copy of my birth certificate to the DPS. It is now November and my status still says "Processing Application."

For a bit of a background: When I was younger, I did get into some trouble with the law. The last incident was when I was 15; I am 24 now. They said that, so long as I don't get into anymore trouble, my record should be sealed when I turn 18. The only legal trouble I've been in since then was a speeding warning (not ticket) about a year and a half ago. I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps infantry and received an honorable discharge last year. This year I have purchased 1 handgun and 1 rifle without any delay.

About one month ago I sent an email to the DPS inquiring about the wait. I received the response that my background check has not yet returned. Is there something I'm missing? The only time I've heard from the DPS was when I sent the email. Is there someone I should contact? I understand that they have been backed up for a while, but when people who applied 2 months after me are getting their plastic, it gives me a bleak outlook. Any thoughts on anything I've said would be greatly appreciated.

randomoutburst
Posts in topic: 1

Post by randomoutburst »

It is my understanding that a large part of the hold up is not only the number of applicants, but the county in which the applicants reside. If your county is taking its dear sweet time with your background check or otherwise delaying issuing your plastic, you need to contact your state senator and congressman about this and request that your application be expedited. It works wonders from what I've heard - I wouldn't know myself because I haven't had this problem. Best of luck.

stealthcrf
Posts in topic: 2

Post by stealthcrf »

javechet wrote:Hello there. I have been lurking here for some time now and finally decided to join. In all honesty, it is mostly because of my frustration. Here goes my story.

I completed a CHL course here in Austin back in June. The application was hand delivered to DPS on June 16th (I believe, maybe 17th). About a month later I received a letter stating that they needed a copy of my birth certificate as proof of my citizenship. I was born in Germany on an Army base. Within about 3 days I hand delivered a copy of my birth certificate to the DPS. It is now November and my status still says "Processing Application."

For a bit of a background: When I was younger, I did get into some trouble with the law. The last incident was when I was 15; I am 24 now. They said that, so long as I don't get into anymore trouble, my record should be sealed when I turn 18. The only legal trouble I've been in since then was a speeding warning (not ticket) about a year and a half ago. I spent 4 years in the Marine Corps infantry and received an honorable discharge last year. This year I have purchased 1 handgun and 1 rifle without any delay.

About one month ago I sent an email to the DPS inquiring about the wait. I received the response that my background check has not yet returned. Is there something I'm missing? The only time I've heard from the DPS was when I sent the email. Is there someone I should contact? I understand that they have been backed up for a while, but when people who applied 2 months after me are getting their plastic, it gives me a bleak outlook. Any thoughts on anything I've said would be greatly appreciated.

same here man :( was born abroad and now they just keep telling me that my background hasn't returned when I see people in the same county getting theirs back in 30-60 days.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

HI javechet and welcome to the forum! There's a wealth of information here at your fingertips and a great bunch of people to get to know. And thank you for your service to your country. :patriot:

Thanks for sharing your story. It is one heard here often. That is one who was recently discharged, and a delay of the background check. Hang in there buddy.

I agree with randomoutburst. As you've been more that patient, it's time to call AND email your State Congressman AND State Senator, and explain to them the problem and ask for their help in expediting your approval process. Several of our forum members have done just that and had great success in doing so.

You may want to start a "time line" to chart your progress(like I have at the bottom of my posts). It's in your User Control Panel under Edit Profile---edit Signature. Keep it short. You only have 200 characters allowance.

Make those phone calls and emails! :thumbs2:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

javechet
Posts in topic: 4

Post by javechet »

Thanks all for the advice. I really just felt like venting.

I think I will start with an email, so that I can express my concern more eloquently. And if that fails then I will be making calls. I guess I had this misconception that because I live in Austin that it would be taken care of with a little more haste. And I didn't think my birth abroad would be a big deal because my birth certificate says "Certification of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America" issued by the State Department.

One other thing I failed to mention was that I had my name legally changed when I was in the 6th grade. But again, I hand delivered the documentation to the DPS to prove I am who I am.

This internet forum thing is still fairly new to me. Mostly all the acronyms and such. I've only been apart of one other forum since July, but it's more weapon specific. The 1911 to be more specific. Again, thanks everybody. I will let ya'll know what happens with my progress; if any.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

Well that's what this forum is for, and especially this room(June 2009 Applications). To kick around problems, and receive input for possible solutions. And just to generally vent and gripe. :lol:

The more questions you ask, the more we can ALL benefit from the input received. Ask away! :thumbs2:
Last edited by joe817 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Mazzy

Post by Mazzy »

I can say this...now...

It's coming...soon.

I hear `ya, fellas. I turned my application in on June 1, had a fingerprint hiccup, and my license was issued right at the 1st of November. Still waiting on plastic, but for the most part, the wait is over.

Give it a few days, and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised.

Mazzy

Post by Mazzy »

Aaaaand it's here!

Envelope with plastic arrived today!

Five months...four days.

To celebrate, I picked up a slightly used Glock 23 .40 and a Galco Triton IWB holster.

Awwwww yeah.

Thanks for all the support from other members and thanks to the site owner and admin for giving us a place to chit-chat/vent/joke/etc. Just because I've got my CHL now doesn't mean I won't be visiting the forum.

5 mos 4 days > 60 days.

joe817

Post by joe817 »

FINALLY!!! Congratulations Mazzy !!! :woohoo :thewave

Wally walk time! :thumbs2: :clapping:
TSRA
Colt Gov't Model .380

Return to “The "Waiting Room"”