Home Invasion Getting Popular

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Home Invasion Getting Popular

Post by The Annoyed Man »

KD5NRH wrote:
saltydog wrote:Most of the people that our family knows don't have much portable wealth just laying around. Maybe a computer, a TV, and a set of dinged up golf clubs. Portable wealth is in a 401k, gun safe, or safety deposit box.
A computer, maybe a laptop, DVD player, guitar, Playstation, Wii, whatever, is still a lot more than they can expect from a street robbery or car smash-and-grab. With most people using debit cards these days, $50-100 would be a pretty good haul for jumping somebody on the street, and potentially armed victims are less likely to be caught off-guard on the street than in their own homes. Add to that the popularity of hitting college apartments, (most college students are unarmed, usually have all of the above, and haven't bothered to write down the serial numbers) and it's a pretty easy choice.
Consider this possibility too:

I would imagine that some home invasions happen to poorer people too, and I have noticed that among certain folks of lower means, there is sometimes a tendency to keep assets liquid in cash, instead of putting it in banks. When you live hand-to-mouth, cash on hand is easier and quicker to access. Also, I have known people who simply have an institutional distrust of banks, and so they live entirely in a cash economy, and they have no bank accounts whatsoever. People who don't own much in the world but have cash on hand might make tempting targets for a home invader.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

wolvie1892
Posts in topic: 1

Post by wolvie1892 »

I guess all this goes to show is that carrying 24/7 is becoming a necessity now. Every time I am one my computer or in front of my tv, my gun comes out of the holster and sits next to my right hand on the table, every time.
"History is a record of unjustified suffering, irreparable loss, tragedy without catharsis. It's a gorgon; stare at it too long and it turns you to stone."

surprise_i'm_armed
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

When I read about these home invasions, I always wonder whether the house
was targeted because drug sellers live there, or if it's truly random.

Criminals, being lower class generally, seem to have this idea that anyone who has
a decent house and vehicle has lots of cash on hand.

They have no concept that a middle or upper class person has a debit card, credit card,
and financial accounts, not a pile of greenbacks in the house.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

LittleGun

Post by LittleGun »

I always carry at home. I have a plan of action, depending on what room of the house I am in during a home invasion. When I am sitting at my computer, I've made it a habit to have a firearm sitting next to the keyboard where I can grab it immediately.

big 54r

Post by big 54r »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:When I read about these home invasions, I always wonder whether the house
was targeted because drug sellers live there, or if it's truly random.

Criminals, being lower class generally, seem to have this idea that anyone who has
a decent house and vehicle has lots of cash on hand.

They have no concept that a middle or upper class person has a debit card, credit card,
and financial accounts, not a pile of greenbacks in the house.

SIA
A cpl months ago a business owner was "targeted" 2 houses down from me in a home invasian. Your theory is partially correct because I was also thinking he was targeted as having cash on hand because he owned a cash business.

In my general area just after "IKE" last year we had about 5 home invasians in a 3-4 month span!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”