Road trip to Fla.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
med
Posts in topic: 1

Road trip to Fla.

Post by med »

Just got my CHL :mrgreen: in the mail last week, it was 90 days total. They returned a check list :rules: cause they didn't like the way i did one of the checks, that must have delayed it :roll: a few extra weeks.
I am going to take a trip to Fl. soon :coolgleamA: and would like to know if i could purchase a handgun while i am there :???: ?
I also want to carry from Tx to Fl and back should this be ok? All states i will pass through are on the reciprocity map as reciprocal to Tx ;-) . Should i check the law in each state i pass through for variations :???: or should the reciprocal states be close enough :thumbs2: .
:tiphat: Later Med.

Keith B

Re: Road trip to Fla.

Post by Keith B »

med wrote:I am going to take a trip to Fl. soon :coolgleamA: and would like to know if i could purchase a handgun while i am there :???: ?
You can if a dealer will sell to you, but the handgun would have to be shipped to a FFL firearms dealer in Texas and you would have to pick it up from them once you got back here. You would not be able to have it in Florida until the transfer was made to here, you did the paperwork here, and picked it up from the local dealer.
med wrote: I also want to carry from Tx to Fl and back should this be ok? All states i will pass through are on the reciprocity map as reciprocal to Tx ;-) . Should i check the law in each state i pass through for variations :???: or should the reciprocal states be close enough :thumbs2: .
You must abide by the laws on concealed carry when in that state, so you need to read up on them and make sure not to be in violation and risk being arrested. Laws on concealed carry can be VERY different from state to state.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

PappaGun

Post by PappaGun »

med wrote:... Should i check the law in each state i pass through for variations :???: or should the reciprocal states be close enough :thumbs2: .
:shock:

Close enough? Be very careful. The differences between states are as wide as our most recent two presidents.
NEVER assume anything. You will be held accountable and it could cost you a small fortune to get your way out of something that you were oblivious to. Ignorance of the law and poor assumptions are no excuses for a CHL holder.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe."
- Noah Webster

"All we ask for is registration, just like we do for cars."
- Charles Schumer

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

Here's a starter for your state by state handgun laws research:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:tiphat:

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

One thing I have noticed in Florida, is you can not carry in the bar "area" of a restaurant and therefore an open floored restaurant with a bar, but what most have done, in the Pensacola area anyway, is put up a partition demarcating the bar area (any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose;). They also typically have a way to the rest rooms (albeit circuitous) without passing through. I checked with Escambia County to be sure (very CHL friendly BTW) and they said to just stay off the platform or deck (Flounders on Santa Rosa) or outside of the divider and you should be okay. The owner of our favorite place on 98 (because he new what he had that was Gluten Free and set us up for a party without our asking) also reiterated this. Your results may vary.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

mr.72
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr.72 »

Also having the Louisiana State Police on speed dial may be a very good idea if you plan to go through New Orleans and happen to get pulled over. That is, if you would like to leave New Orleans with your gun still in your possession. So I have heard, but I have not had any problem there myself (haven't gone to NOLA since I have had a CHL).

Did a long road trip through mostly reciprocal states last year and had some iffy situations along the way, mostly having to drive around the DC beltway, which is not entirely in DC and not entirely in any one state... so it can get iffy, plan your route carefully and stick to it. The shortest route from here to FL takes you through some very short routes through a couple of states.
non-conformist CHL holder

Pete92FS

Post by Pete92FS »

mr.72 wrote:Also having the Louisiana State Police on speed dial may be a very good idea if you plan to go through New Orleans and happen to get pulled over.
When I travel in that direction on I-10 once I hit Baton Rouge we take I-12 and hit I-10 again on the other side of New Oleans thus avoiding that trap.
CHL since 01/26/09

ELB

Post by ELB »

Reading all the rules is highly recommended, but the best way to stay out of avoidable trouble with the law is to drive and behave without unnecessary "flamboyance." ;-)
USAF 1982-2005

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

MBGuy

Post by MBGuy »

I've never been further than New Orleans, but I second the idea of going around New Orleans on your way. Nothing good to see there, or in Baton Rouge. You can get equally good cajun food in the small towns that surround those cities without having to fear the criminals in and out of uniform. Unfortunately, my daughter and grandson live there half the year during thoroughbred racing season, so I have no choice but to go there several times every winter.

If you have to go through NO, and if you happen to get stopped by the New Orleans Thugs Department, I think that you don't have to show your CHL license to them like in Texas. You may want to make double-sure of that.
Harry
NRA Endowment Life Member
Sig P239-40
"Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing."

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

In Louisiana: http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#duties" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:

1. Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;
2. Submit to a pat down;
3. Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.
I have ofter wondered about point #2. Doesn't seem logical you can sign your Fourth Amendment rights away like that. No. 3 is just as troublesome. With reasonable suspicion or probable cause the cops can disarm you. Without either, the cops have no reason to disarm someone.

Kythas

Post by Kythas »

casingpoint wrote:In Louisiana: http://www.lsp.org/handguns.html#duties" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
when any peace officer approaches a permittee in an official manner or with an identified purpose, the permittee shall:

1. Notify the officer that he has a weapon on his person;
2. Submit to a pat down;
3. Allow the officer to temporarily disarm him.
I have ofter wondered about point #2. Doesn't seem logical you can sign your Fourth Amendment rights away like that. No. 3 is just as troublesome. With reasonable suspicion or probable cause the cops can disarm you. Without either, the cops have no reason to disarm someone.
Police in Texas are allowed to temporarily disarm you, also.
“I’m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let’s start with typewriters.” - Frank Lloyd Wright

"Both oligarch and tyrant mistrust the people, and therefore deprive them of arms" - Aristotle

mr.72
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mr.72 »

Kythas wrote: Police in Texas are allowed to temporarily disarm you, also.
True, but they are only allowed to do so under the ruse that it is to ensure your safety or that of the officer. At least there is some veneer of cause for disarming in TX, but there is no such technicality apparently in LA.
non-conformist CHL holder

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”